Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I felt that this fact ate at Martina Hingis. Late in her career, she knew that she was no longer the best, and each defeat to lower and lower ranked players destroyed her morale. I felt this fact ate at Jennifer Capriati also because she too realized soon enough that she really was not the best player. Kim will endure better though, because her attitude is far different from the forementioned players. But it will come with added pressure as it does with all players. Even Serena felt the pressures of being #1 although she is the best. Speaking of Serena, will the pressures be off of her being #2? I wonder! :confused:

Reactions: CanIGetAWhat

· Chionophile
40,242 Posts
Well you're really asking two questions here:

1. Is there pressure being ranked #1 when you know deep down you are not the best?

2. Did Hingis fell victim to this pressure?

My answers:

1. Since this has never happened to me, I can only guess. And my guess is yes. There has to be some pressure because of the media, and generally the aura surrounding being #1. Everytime you go out on court, you're reminded of that fact, and if you don't win, then it will get to you, I think. I think also being #1, you will be one of the favourites for every tournament you enter. Now, if you've won the last 3 slams then that's ok, but if you haven't won a slam in the last 52 weeks, you think ok, I HAVE to win this. So that's personal pressure too.

2. This is partially responsible. The undoing of Martina Hingis cannot be pinpointed to just one thing. It starts from RG99 through the losses to Davenport through the losses to Williams sisters and through to the pressure of being a slamless #1, and finally the blowing of 4 match points against Capriati. Had she won that match, I think she'd still be playing today. Another thing is I think her injury is somewhat real. But I'm not sure on that, so I'll just leave it at that.

· Banned
1,856 Posts
:) I think Serena enjoys the fact that she is/was No.1 and that she rarely felt the pressure of the position as others may have. Serena, I think felt more pressure from being Venus' sister and having to face her in the finals, though, she's won the last five. The one "exception" may well be Jenn Capriati, and for whatever reasons, she felt pressure from her, it still hasn't affected her results against JCap.

Kim, on the other hand, "may feel the pressure of being No.1 without a slam win", and we don't know as of yet how that may affect her performance. It could very well be that Kim accepts the position as a challenge to "secure" her first major win. At any rate, I do feel, that Kim is aware that the No.1 ranking and being the best may not neccessarily be one and the same. Only time will tell...!!! :) :)

· Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Hmm, good question.

Assuming that you are talking about Kim, I think there's a bit of pressure on her to win a slam anyway seeing as she is far and away the best player not to have one, but maybe not as bad as it could be because she is still so young plus has overall excellent results, not to mention a good attitude.

If someone was to make a big deal of being #1 publicly, eg if Kim claimed that being #1 made her better than Serena, then probably the pressure would be greater but we all know Kim will not do that because she's such a good sport.

Finally, I think Kim knows that it's out of her hands. It's not her fault that Serena plays less than the minimum and so Kim is the best of the players who play the required number of tournaments - that's all #1 is a measure of (and, I believe she would be ranked above Venus even if the minimum was 12, so we are only talking about Serena). In other words, Kim can't help it, and I very much doubt anyone, including Serena, would ask Kim to drop back to 12 tournaments just to keep things "right"!

· Registered
19,459 Posts
In 2000 Martina herself said maybe someone else should be #1. Kim in 2003 said she considers the Williams sisters to be the best 2 players in the world. I tend to take most, but not all players word for it when it comes to who is the toughest to beat.

· Banned
22 Posts
ask serena :haha:

· Registered
17,738 Posts
I think it ate at Hingis, but only cos she could win the big WTa events, to maintain her ranking, and could beat the other players, but not at the slams.

· Registered
956 Posts
I think the public is gradually coming to terms with tthe dichotomy of #1 vs. being "the best". At the US Open semi last year, Hingis was the #1 seed and ranked player and Serena was the #10 seed. Serena was the clear favorite in that match-up and she obviously played accordingly. Clijsters could concieveably meet either Sister in the this month's US Open in which she will be the higher ranked player. You will not find too many people (outside of Belgium) who will consider the favorite despite her ranking.

Cal.

· Registered
956 Posts
calabar said:
I think the public is gradually coming to terms with tthe dichotomy of #1 vs. being "the best". At the US Open semi last year, Hingis was the #1 seed and ranked player and Serena was the #10 seed. Serena was the clear favorite in that match-up and she obviously played accordingly. Clijsters could concieveably meet either Sister in the this month's US Open in which she will be the higher ranked player. You will not find too many people (outside of Belgium) who will consider the favorite despite her ranking.

Cal.

Oops, a correction:

You will not find too many people (outside of Belgium) who will consider HER the favorite despite her ranking.

· Banned
27,238 Posts
i SERIOUSLY think Kim feels no pressure.....ever. she said before she always gives her best and if she loses so be it, she tried her hardest. to me shes the only person that convinces me when saying that, because i think if she knows she did all she could, she wont mind losing (of course, she loves winning)

Hingis fell victim to it because she was used to being the best and owning everybody. Kim hasnt had this luxury :) (yet)....she still struggles with the sisters but that could change

· Registered
3,619 Posts
Martina Hingis mentioned that she probably didn't deserve to be No. 1
but I don't think it could seriously effect her mentally. It's just numbers.
You cannot feel or touch the No. 1 ranking. It's ink on paper. You can
only feel it if you don't have this or that trophy. In terms of sport, it's
all about the hardware you own. Martina Hingis owned the hardware to
justify the talent she had. The ranking was just something that was in
existence.

IMO, the rankings, in our context, doesn't necessarily reflect who is the
"best" player. It reflects who is the best "performer." Serena Williams is
(IMO) a better player than Kim Clijsters, but if Kim gets to No. 1, it
means that she is the best "performer." And she deserves the No. 1
ranking for that. You can't contribute a half-arsed season and expect
to come out on top. It's a full-time effort, not a whim for the footloose
and fancy-free.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
I don't think it's a big deal. To have obtained it must be great, cause you can actually say you were one of very few to have done it. After that it turns into a matter of how many weeks you spent at no.1 and I cannot believe that would really be of any concern to Kim.

· Registered
1,981 Posts
Day in and day out, Williams supporters trash anyone and anything that does not acknowledge the supremacy of Serena.

And day in and day out, she pulls out of tournaments, an injury here, a movie to shoot there.

If Serena loses the number one ranking, that is a problem completely of her own making. The efforts to demonize other players, or speculate on how the feel about not being the best is silly and irrelevant.

The best is the person who crosses the finish line first, end of story. The rest is all nonsense.

· Registered
24,565 Posts
No pressure. The players understand that the ranking system isn't about determing who's the best, just establishing seeding.

It's nice to have it's you're a Hingis or a Serena, and you LIKE having the #1 tag. But Jenn and Venus both seemed not at all comfortable as #1, and Lindsay, while comfortable enough, just didn't have the star power, and no real need to be a star. She wanted to be acknowledged for her accomplishments, but it never went outside of tennis.

· Veelieve!!!
33,802 Posts
TSequoia01 said:
I felt that this fact ate at Martina Hingis. Late in her career, she knew that she was no longer the best, and each defeat to lower and lower ranked players destroyed her morale. I felt this fact ate at Jennifer Capriati also because she too realized soon enough that she really was not the best player. Kim will endure better though, because her attitude is far different from the forementioned players. But it will come with added pressure as it does with all players. Even Serena felt the pressures of being #1 although she is the best. Speaking of Serena, will the pressures be off of her being #2? I wonder! :confused:

I personally think the situation is entirely different because basically, as soon as Serena is back on court, Kim is probably no longer #1. Her ranking depends entirely on Serena's scheduling choices. Ifs are pointless as far as I am concerned, but the truth is Kim wouldn't stand a shot of catching up with Serena if she did not pull out of so many tournaments.
:tape:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.