Tennis Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
even though they are usually faster,
but is there any difference in Scottsdale's surface
and these surfaces for the American hardcourt series....
coz the way Ai won Scottsdale, it seems to me
that Scottsdale is slower than the summer series

· Registered
24,565 Posts
'Hard court' actually covers quite few things. Har-Tru, Supreme, Greenset, etc. The US Open is usually the as fast or faster than anything else.

· Adrenaline junkie
24,901 Posts
Volcana said:
'Hard court' actually covers quite few things. Har-Tru, Supreme, Greenset, etc. The US Open is usually the as fast or faster than anything else.
Supreme and Greenset are actually "carpet". I know that because Moscow Kremlin Cup , my home tournament, moved from "Supreme" in 2001 to "Greenset" in 2002. It is still listed as Indoors Carpet.

· Registered
425 Posts
Hingis attributed her poor fall season last year partly on the faster European hardcourt. She said her reduced speed (due to her injury) was not exploited as much during Canada/New Haven/NY as it was in Filderstadt/Swisscom since the hardcourt was slower in the States.

Har-Tru is American "green" clay. Supreme is certainly "carpet." But, I was always under the impression that "greenset" was a type of hardcourt. Could be wrong about that, though.

· Registered
2,406 Posts
I heard somewhere that the US Open is abnormally fast compared to the rest of the American hardcourt circuit, that's one of the key factors in Sampras' great record there in recent years. I know for sure that at the other end of the scale the Indian Wells courts are also ridiculously slow, which is why Hewitt has set up camp there for the past two years as champion and is going to be very hard to shift.

· Adrenaline junkie
24,901 Posts
Peter M said:
Har-Tru is American "green" clay. Supreme is certainly "carpet." But, I was always under the impression that "greenset" was a type of hardcourt. Could be wrong about that, though.
You'are right. Greenset is indeed technically a hardcourt, because it is not a removable surface, which carpet is supposed to be. By material (acrylic ) it though is closer to carpet than to traditional hardcourts.

· Adrenaline junkie
24,901 Posts
Hendouble said:
I heard somewhere that the US Open is abnormally fast compared to the rest of the American hardcourt circuit, that's one of the key factors in Sampras' great record there in recent years. I know for sure that at the other end of the scale the Indian Wells courts are also ridiculously slow, which is why Hewitt has set up camp there for the past two years as champion and is going to be very hard to shift.
It is not exactly true. From what I've heard , they change it from season to season, putting the surface of MAJOR SHOWCOURTS to suite the currently dominant American player. Last couple of years three big courts were, reportedly ( and that was player's impression ) much faster than sidecourts and made "for Agassi". This year, they might have a choice of "tuning" to Agassi like or Roddick like.

· Registered
7,624 Posts
Volcana said:
I only know of two "real" Hard Courts. Decoturf and Rebound Ace. Both can be tweaked a bit to make them play "faster" or "slower".

· Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Peter M said:
Hingis attributed her poor fall season last year partly on the faster European hardcourt. She said her reduced speed (due to her injury) was not exploited as much during Canada/New Haven/NY as it was in Filderstadt/Swisscom since the hardcourt was slower in the States.

i think you are talking about the indoor tournaments,
indoor is faster, but Asian hardcourts seem to be a lot slower
than a lot of the American hardcourts for some reason...

· Premium Member
172,297 Posts
Indian Wells is played on PlexiPave Hard Courts
most use Decoturf though

not much difference, just location, altitude

AUS has Rebound Ace, but Gold Coast event uses Synpave (similar but not so sticky in heat)

· Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TheBoiledEgg said:
Indian Wells is played on PlexiPave Hard Courts
most use Decoturf though

not much difference, just location, altitude

AUS has Rebound Ace, but Gold Coast event uses Synpave (similar but not so sticky in heat)
so most of the stuff is fast except Indian Wells
where many said was slower.........

how about Asian hardcourt.......do they use decoturf too?
then why are they slower mostly than American ones?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.