Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just reading some of the ATP topics made me think this, if some of the things were said about a female player who hell would be let lose!

So it seems anything goes for ATP tennis and our WTA ladies are protected a great deal by their fans etc.

Of course the media is a different story but here and on many other messageboards I have read that a lot can be said about male tennis.

This is a topic on the comparisons between the standard people have for male and female tennis. And the there is a big standard between the 2.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That it seems that anything goes for male players on here and other messageboards, people aren't so protective of them than they are of female players, but you do feel there is boundary in what you can say about female players, but you don't have that with the men.

But this is not how the media works, they are more nationalistic (all depending on the country) than dare I say it sexist (I can't think of another word), their groups are different.

·
***** Emeritus
42,422 Posts
I dunno about other boards, but in here, well it's a WTA board, so people are more protective of "their" girls, while some of us don't care that much about the men... Just a guess...

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
I think The Crow is right. I personally can't stand men's tennis and I pay little attention to it. Therefore, I am most likely to say nasty things about a male player when they are taking up too much television time with a boring match. I think people are more likely to defend the women more because they are more into their tennis than the men's. If this was an ATP board with a small WTA section, I think the mood would be a bit different.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
I agree with the Crwo...it is afterall a WTAboard so we will stand by our ladies.;):kiss:

BUT NO ONE BETTER SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT ALEX...hehe..;)

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
I don't bother reading ATP-related boards, but I've noticed on at least a few occasions that people here have gotten protective of some of the guys (Hewitt is a recent example).

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if there were differences in the way fans relate to the players, though.

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
Like Vanity said, most here don't care much for men's tennis. Their matches are too long, very often nothing but serve and take up too much television time.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I totally agree with Tine and Vanity! mens tennis gets in the way of me watching women's tennis!!!
i had to fast forward through the entire Roddick match to get to a bit of Seles and also see some of the Henin match. Thank goodness for the VCR that I can do this!
Ruth in philly PA USA

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Okay. I think I've found something of the double standard that babsi was talking about. I'm not necessarily talking about this being on a WTA messageboard, but in any forum imagineable. Here goes:

A lot has been made out of Anna Kournikova supposedly letting her modelling and acting pursuits get in the way of her tennis. She almost gets crucified for it in the media.

James Blake recently signed to the same modelling agency as Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum and Giselle Bundchen. He plans to pursue modelling when it "doesn't effect his tennis." When would that be?

Anyway, nothing's been said about James Blake and his modelling pursuits potentially getting in the way of his tennis. He's won some ITF's. So has Anna. Neither have won a pro title though. Plus, Anna isn't even signed to a modelling agency and she manages to cop more flak than him.

Jan-Michael Gambill is in a similar position to Anna but he doesn't get half the amount of criticism that Anna does (but I guess that's because Gambill has won a pro title).

Is this close to something that you meant, babsi? :)

·
***** Emeritus
42,422 Posts
Okay, I had the idea babsi meant it the other way around :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts