Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure if there is anyone that can beat the sisters if they partner with their fellow country women.
The gold is probably theirs once again. It'll be quite amazing for them to win considering they will just have started playing doubles a month prior to Athen after more than a year's absence from the doubles.

However, due to their injuries, the whole thing might not happen.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I hope to see them play in US Open too. For the past 4 year Venus and Serena have never been absent from Wimbledon doubles. But they skipped this year, so I guess they focus on singles only in US Open. I hope otherwise.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The Olympic doubles goes to Kuzzi and Likhovtseva.
Williams wouldn't get to the semis. You said it yourself: they didn't play doubles for a year.
Kuznetsova and Lihkovtseva on the other hand are the second team in the world right now and drop our Ruano Pasqual and Saurez (they are of different nationalities) and you get the No. 1 olympics team.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,787 Posts
They have a great chance to win, but they aren't as good as a few years ago, I think. They'll get a medal, but Argentina (Suarez), Spain (Ruano Pascual), Russia (Kuznetsova & Likhovtseva) and Indonesia might prove big hurdles to take.

·
Banned
75 Posts
I think the pair is all but invincible. They have lost only a handful of matches and they may not be ranked at the moment in the double for lack of tournaments they have played. Even Vivi and Gonzalez wouldn't be any match for the sisters. The Olympics seem to have a speical place in the sisters' hearts, so I'm sure they will go all out for the gold medals.

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
I think if healthy the sisters should bring home the gold...and I think they want it too. You put the two most dominating servers together and that alone puts a lot of stress on the other team when serving...

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Since most of the best opposition teams, (Suarez Ruano-Pascual, Petrova-Shaughnessy etc) are trans-national teamings, who can't play together in Athens, you'd have to see the Willies are looking pretty good picks for the title. Especially with the Aussies not picking Stubbs.

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
Not even if they would go just by teams and not by country, it wouldn´t matter....because the sisters have beaten all the "dominating" teams: Vivi/Paola, etc.. already and pretty convincingly too and I don´t think those teams have gotten much better since.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
It's hard to tell, obviously going by past form, they will be the team to beat, but they haven't played together for so long, who really knows how well they'll play? I guess we'll just have to wait and see when the competition begins.

The other top teams should be:

Vivi/Conchita - Watching Vivi play doubles in Fed Cup last weekend, I was amazed by what a great doubles player she is, even without Paola; she and Conchita, obviously, don't play together much, but when they do (Fed Cup) they usually win.

Paola/Patricia - This might sound silly, based on Patricia's play in the last year or so with Vis (in fact when I created my signature, I thought the chances of Paola/Patricia winning any kind of medal were zero to none ;)) but if you'd seen Patricia/Gisela playing, you'd have been amazed by what a great team they make and how well Patricia is playing, esp. at the net ... and Paola/Patricia have played together and won at least one title together before.

Sveta/Elena - I've seen them play quite a bit this summer, they're not a bad team, but not a fantastic combination either, and Elena seems to have problems with nerves (which was the same when she played with Cara) when it comes to actually winning things.

Lisa/Martina - Again, not a fantastic partnership, but better than most other teams.

Shinobu/Ai - Ai is just such a fantastic doubles player, I wouldn't like to count her out.

Really, I think who gets the medals will depend a lot on the draw.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Where are the sisters playing doubles in LA

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I dont think they are as good as they were a couple years ago..I mean..didnt they lose last year at Wimbledon doubles to Dementieva and Krasnoroutskaya?

·
Banned
75 Posts
Well I seriously doubt there is any pair who is as good as the sisters when teamed up much less a better couple then them. When they are at full strength, they just detroy anyone in their way just like they did in Sydney four years ago. I see the same senario at Athen. Even if Pascual and Gonzales were allowed to play together on the same side, I don't think they would stand a chance against the ssiters. But of course anything is possible. Lihotseva and Kuzunetsova can paly well and can trouble the sisters a bit if not beat them. What do you think?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Julian said:
I dont think they are as good as they were a couple years ago..I mean..didnt they lose last year at Wimbledon doubles to Dementieva and Krasnoroutskaya?
It was a close match and both Venus and Serena had played 3 set singles matches that day, so they both were a bit tired and not at their best. I dont think it'll be the same situation if they meet at the Olympics.

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
Exactly...that loss to Elena D/Lina K was just a combination of the sisters just finishing tough three-setters and maybe not even wanting it that much.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
bandabou said:
Exactly...that loss to Elena D/Lina K was just a combination of the sisters just finishing tough three-setters and maybe not even wanting it that much.
I thought you could only have one doubles team entry and that was lisa and martina? am i wrong?

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
Hmmm...I thought it was two teams?!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
It remains to be seen what the Williams sisters can do. Obviously, they go in as defending champions and favourites to take the title, but I don't think it's an open and shut case just yet. At least, not until they have won match point in the Gold Medal play-off. ;)

With regards to any challengers, the top seeds will most likely be Svetlana Kuznetsova and Elena Likhovtseva, but I have doubts about their big-match mentality. They're yet to win in a big situation even though they have been very successful this year playing together.

I don't see much of a challenge coming from Lisa Raymond and Martina Navratilova either. They are not quite up to the same standard as Kuznetsova and Likhovtseva, even though both have achieved more individually than the Russian pair combined.

I might sound biased here, but I think Alicia Molik and Rennae Stubbs are a dangerous pair and could give the likes of the Williams sisters some trouble. Another pair to look out for could be Daniela Hantuchova and Janette Husarova.

Also not discounting Paola Suarez and Patricia Tarabini, or Virginia Ruano Pascual and Conchita Martinez. France also has Amelie Mauresmo and Mary Pierce. While they are better known as singles players, Mauresmo is deft at the net and Mary has played some big situations in doubles before. It depends how well they pair as a team.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
No they're not invincible but they one of 2 or 3 teams to beat. If the sisters don't win it the eventual champs will have to go through them. If that sounds arrogant that's not my problem. I'm just confident like my faves. LOL :p

1 - 20 of 56 Posts