Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Martina did not play in 3 years (just Pattaya 2005), she stayed cool and had fun..... :)

When she decided to go to the trainment court and work very hard, she cama back.

And...she had directly "big' results :eek: :lick quarter in OA, she beats Sharapova, Davenport :fiery: :hearts: and a lot of victories.

So, is Hingis better than before? Is the level of the women's tennis bad?

What do you think about it?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Martina is a great champion and she will never lose those skills and capabilities.

She's definitely a better player than before, even more complete and trying new things. She commentated and watched the game from a distance while she was out which gave her a new perspective at analysing opponents' games.

The level of women's tennis isn't bad, it has dipped a bit since say 2/3 years ago when there were lots of up and coming young players and the top established players were healthy. The younger players are now struggling to maintain their positions because their games are a bit too one-dimensional.

When they come up against Martina it's a huge shock, especially mentally as they have to actually think rather than pound just the ball!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I actually think the level of competition is higher than three years ago, because Hingis is facing most of the old players, Justine, Kim, Lindsay, Amelie, Elena plus a slew of new ones that had not yet come into their own three years ago, like Maria, most of the other Russians, etc. True, a few have retired -- Monica and perhaps even Jen and the Williams sisters are otherwise occupied these days, but in general it has been a combination of factors.

Hingis is still young enough to be actually better than she was in the mid to late 90s, assuming she remains healthy and that her feet do not start giving her trouble again. She is playing a lot now and I think that could happen. But if she does stay healthy, I think we will see that her unique brand of tennis is complicated for most players to defend against, because most of today's players are used to baseline players who go for the kill shot as quickly as possible.

What they are finding is that Hingis --when healthy and moving well -- can deal with their power, just as long as she can get to the ball. HIngis showed that yesterday against Lindsay.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think Hingis is tactically more complete than ever before, she has more answers than ever before. I think it just took a few months for her overall sharpness to return coordination-wise, and now she is hitting the ball with the consistency of her earlier years. So her increased tactical brilliance (which was brilliant to begin with) is now in full force. Additionally, she seems more committed than ever before to fitness. :bolt:

·
Genie Bouchard of TF
108,430 Posts
she is still a smart player
and it seems she is more relaxed on court
i think this is very important - her coolness

·
Registered
142 Posts
I dont think her come back has been that easy. she's had losses that she would not have wanted and has had to put in a lot of work to get the reslts she is having.

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
I think that she was stronger mentally before...or is it, shes just beginning thats why...I love the way she hits those UNEXPECTED power shots...

·
Registered
13,196 Posts
She's such a different player from the normal ball bashers out there - to beat Hingis you have to work her into long greulling points and get her tired because it's so much more difficult to think when you're physically tired. Her comeback is great for the game because of the skills and personality she brings to the court and even though I don't like her I respect what she can do.

·
Registered
114,799 Posts
This sport is about staying healthy. That's what determines almost every major the last few years.
If she stays healthy, she'll be in the top 5 or 6.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Well how can you say its too easy..She must have worked hard in between to get these results..Its not like she suddenly decided i will play and started on tour the next day..Its also her hard work thats paying her off

·
Registered
790 Posts
Martina is in a totally different position then she was when she retired. She was the hunted one, now she is the hunter.

Her Manager, Mario, said at the beginning of the year (before her first tournament), that she was in better shape than she was at the end of her first career; the only question mark was, if her feet would hold the pressure

Plus, and that's what I was saying all the time, Martina said in her interview:

MARTINA HINGIS: Well, I knew the reason why I left the game. Like I said already in some of the interviews previously, I had to face players like Serena, Lindsay, the sisters all the time, then probably I wouldn't give myself this question. But looking at the game from the outside and commentating, looking at the players, how they did, maybe four or five years ago everyone was really determined and hungry. It was like 20 players out there who could win the tournament.
Now really somehow it feels like it narrowed down to five, maybe 10 sometimes. It's always a different Russian who is really hungry and determined.
I mean, sometimes it felt like they all had their run. Now they're trying to bounce back. But it's not as intense as it used to be.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
What we still don't know about Martina, though, is whether she can overcome the problem that developed in the last couple of years before she stepped away from the sport. She always did alright against even the big hitters. She had a pretty good record against Lindsay and good records against all the other power players.

But when it came to handling two or three of them in a row in a tournament, it proved difficult for her in the last couple of years. Has she solved that problem today?

This tournament will tell us something, because she faces a power player today in Safina and then a power player in the semis if she gets that far. That will be three in a row, with one match left to go and odds are, she will face a top ten player in the final --if she gets that far.

So we have to see. What is clear is, she is already back to the spot where she can knock off just about anyone. But can she gets them in bunches?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mightymirza said:
Well how can you say its too easy..She must have worked hard in between to get these results..Its not like she suddenly decided i will play and started on tour the next day..Its also her hard work thats paying her off
I'm ok with you, I know she had worked VERY HARD!!

But I thought that she'd had more dificulties to be at a so good level, for exemple, 3 or 4 months.

For the moment, she's very fresh, it helps her :)

More she plays tournament, more it will be hard :fiery: I think.

·
Registered
829 Posts
One point that I want to point out is the I think Martina can definitely play beyong 30+ years old because she doesn't just rely on gross motor skills, the big power. So the tear and wear on her body isn't as big. With power players, the power decrease with age. That means you can't hit these flat, powerful, heavy shots forever because the body naturally "decay" as they grow older. With martina's game, she doesn't rely too much on her power, so I think she has a better longevity in her game. I see her ending up like a Martina Navratilova who can last to 50 years old and running on the pro tour (maybe restrict that to doubles).

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
thomas.chung said:
One point that I want to point out is the I think Martina can definitely play beyong 30+ years old because she doesn't just rely on gross motor skills, the big power. So the tear and wear on her body isn't as big. With power players, the power decrease with age. That means you can't hit these flat, powerful, heavy shots forever because the body naturally "decay" as they grow older. With martina's game, she doesn't rely too much on her power, so I think she has a better longevity in her game. I see her ending up like a Martina Navratilova who can last to 50 years old and running on the pro tour (maybe restrict that to doubles).
On the other hand, mobility is VERY important to Martina's game, both for counterpunching and quick transitions to the net. That is something that will decrease with age.

I agree with you that that she could end up like Navratilova if she wanted to keep playing doubles, though, because that accentuates her strengths and relies less on raw footspeed.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,089 Posts
somehow i think martina planned this comeback for a long long time and planned on getting back just not letting it know to the media yet. i really think she started training like in the beginning of last year. like just going to pattaya to get the feel of her game and the atmosphere again. then after that training really really hard to make a comeback the year after. She's doing great :cool: I would love a hingis-justine final in indian wells right now :cool: (though i still would want justine to win cause she's my topfave together with elenaD :p )

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
First of all, remember at one time, Hingis was head and shoulders above the rest of the tour. Right now, she's not as good as the top performers, but is quite competitive with the next group. In other words, either the tour's better, or she's not as good as she was. Yet.

Likely some of both.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I don't think Martina's return show's the lack of depth in the tour, I think it show's us just how great Martina Hingis is at playing tennis. She is a true Legend and knows the game. , the tactics, how to hit a shot, where to hit, how much spin, etc etc etc I don't think most players love the actual game of tennis, the technique involved and working the points the way Martina does.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
She hasn't reached her peak form yet, IMO. The difference between she and other players attempting comebacks, however, is not IF she will reach her peak form again, it's WHEN she will. Once she does, I really believe that she can be better than she was before, as before she did not work nearly as hard at training as she does now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts