Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was but I was watching my tape of the Lindsay-Venus match from yesterday and at one point they put up a graphic with info listing the mens and womens tournaments in the series and the Acura wasnt listed. It goes straight from LA to Montreal. Did they make a mistake or was it not listed because it is shown on Fox Sports and ABC instead of ESPN? But ABC and ESPN are partners so I guess they just left it out. Any info?

·
Banned
959 Posts
I think it is. But I think the "series" to some mean uninterrupted schedule. To some it means all tournaments to be played before US Open in North America.

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
I thought that the San Diego owners decided for it NOT to be included in the us open series....i remember reading that somewhere, but can't remember where now sorry :(

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
It's not included as of yet. I actually think they can be included if they reach an agreement with the USTA. I don't think they will though. It's a shame cause they'll probably have the strongest field out of all the summer tourneys and certain players won't have a chance to win the US Open Series cause they are playing San Diego instead of Toronto.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just went to www.usopenseries.com and it is listed under the womens events column. I hope it is part of the series because it would make the summer that much more fun this summer:)

·
Registered
829 Posts
If you check the TV schedule on the website, you will see San Diego listed as
'Not currently in US Open Series'

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
I will be working at the Acura Classics as an usher. Apparently, it is currently not part of the series and i get the feeling from the managers here that they think this tournament is too good for the series, but they do want money and publicity so i think in the very near future Acura will be added to the series list. In addition, there is pressure from the WTA and every other organization involved to make Acura Classics be part of the series. So i'm sure the organizers of Acura will give in eventually. They want to be acknowledged that they are special.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
I thought the Acura event still had a contract with Fox Sports? If that is the case, it would not be apart of the US Open series, which is affiliated with ESPN.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts