Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Give me a break. I didnt see the match but Mauresmo won a set, almost won another, and almost took the match from an in-form Serena, who is already like a living legend. Give me a break, did Momo really choke here?

·
26,899 Posts
She didn't choke, but her nerves did cost her some points, and a few of them were crucial unfortunately.

Her forehand was good this time (much better than in other important matches), but she still put some shaky ones into the net. And her service motion looked dubious at times too which led to double-faults or very weak serves.

Definitely a big improvement for Amelie, but to win a Slam (or to beat Serena) it still takes a bit more.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
No she didn't choke. Serena was just too strong. I wouldn't exactly say Serena was in form, but she was able to win the key points at the end.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
momo definately did not choke she was so close to winning the match and its not like after one point serena steamrollered her she kept fighting and nearly pulled it out

·
Registered
12,108 Posts
greatest ever... my ass!!
well.. her ass might atually be the greatest... no.. biggest.. ever :devil:

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Amelie didn't choke, the match was contested every single point and in the end it was just one break of serve that made the difference. Amelie has been the most in form player most of this year dispite the RG hiccup, it is actually serena fighting to get in form which is happening here at wmbledon for her.
I get the feeling that from now on the serena/amelie matches are gonna be like the serena/jen ones with only a point here and there that determines the outcome.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Watched the match. I don't know what some of these people are talking
about?. AM was great. This was one of the best matches at WIMBLEDON 2004,
along with Venus-vs-Sprem. The drama high, the quality great, and there
was a real need to win. AM was really into, and the stuff she came up
with was really good. This was by far Serena's best match at WIMBLEDON
2004 too, she came up with some goodies too, and we're not talking
about the serve.

Why do people go on about AM being a power hitter etc... she's got
master class passing, loads of finesse. Lot's of light as air gliding on
grass with Gallic flair like Seba Grosjean. :)

I liked this match alot. The first and second set were top notch. The
3rd set more nervy, but it wasn't chokey hell or anything. Both players
were afraid to lose rather than charging forward to win.

:haha:
"It was in! It's not OUT!!"- Serena
"What? It's not in it's OUT!"- Amelie

(Cue everyone in GM to take note of chair umpire's name
and damn her to hell along with Sandra De Jenkin, Ted Watts,
and Anne Larssar Ulrich).

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mandy7 said:
greatest ever... my ass!!
well.. her ass might atually be the greatest... no.. biggest.. ever :devil:

I said possibly the greatest ever. If shes not the best shes gotta be near the top of the list.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Actually the real trouble with Amelie, apart from her nerves at Roland Garros and occasional chokes, is her physical condition. All those back injuries have fouled up her career (see Australian Open as most recent example) and certainly cost her the match yesterday. I seems her body can't take the punishment of hard serves and tough games for too long a period. I really feel sorry for her about this but I'm afraid this will hamper her chances of any grand slam win in the future (I hope I'm wrong, though).

·
Registered
768 Posts
Funny how some posters are oblivious to this fact. She definitely didn't choke away the match yesterday she was just betrayed by her body. Once again. Damn it all.

·
Registered
639 Posts
FrogBurger, I hope you get to see the match one day. From the time the semis were set, I knew who was going to be in the final. From a sport enthusiast's standpoint along with the horribly long day of trying to catch both matches between ESPN and NBC, I wasn't as overjoyed with the quality of play as I should have been at the time it was happening. But, if you watch the match, you'll see Amelie at her very best for a good portion of the encounter. She was poetry in motion with her special mix of finesse and power. She didn't serve and volley every point which was exciting and unpredictable. But, a couple of her volleys were just spectacular. She had a few aces and she danced along the baseline playing great defense and offense. It's unfortunate that her undoing were her back injury, the inopportune errors, and that very last service break that I just knew would come. At any rate, this is a tennis match worth seeing. Amelie showed great heart. Maybe it wasn't a choke as much as Serena wanting it more. I can't say...

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Maybe Serena was just a tiny bit better in the end. Whatever.

Look, Serena is not yet the greatest of all time. That is measured in achievement and people like Court and Navratilova are still way ahead of her. But she may well be the best of all time when she is in form (as she is now). Yet Momo was almost as good as her in this match. It's frustrating that Momo couldn't quite win it - for her fans and doubtless for her. But this was not the effort of a choker. It was the effort of a superb player with lots of heart.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
Didn´t choke....in fact she rallied in both the first and second sets as Serena was the one who served for both, so no....she played real great.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
She was up a set and a break

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
*~ The Leopard ~* said:
Maybe Serena was just a tiny bit better in the end. Whatever.

Look, Serena is not yet the greatest of all time. That is measured in achievement and people like Court and Navratilova are still way ahead of her. But she may well be the best of all time when she is in form (as she is now). Yet Momo was almost as good as her in this match. It's frustrating that Momo couldn't quite win it - for her fans and doubtless for her. But this was not the effort of a choker. It was the effort of a superb player with lots of heart.

I dont think i said that she is the greatest of all time, i think i said she maybe the greatest of all time or one of them - thats what i was trying to say. IMO she has the best weapons and best game ever, only time will tell if she can sustain that over a ten year or longer career. But when she is playing her best, ive never seen anyone as good IMO, and ive been watching tennis sometimes on, sometimes off, for like almost 25 years.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Some people really need to look up the definition of "choking". Any match where a player loses a one set lead is called "choking" nowadays.

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
You called her "possibly the greatest player ever". Someone else pulled you up on that. But my point is that you are essentially right: what matters is that Serena is possibly the best ever...yet Amelie stayed right with her.

Okay? :wavey:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts