Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard these guys on a french sports channel quoting Robert Lansdorp saying that Maria was even more talented than Pete. And, beyond having the same coach, I see many similarities between the two players : Maria's ritual before serving is like copied from Pete's (Pete used to wipe sweat on his forehead with his thumb while Maria arranges her hair, lol) and this forehand movement ending at the right side of the head is typically Sampras-like. Plus they don't smile, never show emotions on court.

Is Maria going to give-up the two-handed backhand and implement systematic serve and volley :p ?

·
Registered
664 Posts
It's difficult to compare Maria at 17, to the Pete we all recognize in his prime. It took Pete some time to fully develop his formidable, serve-and-volley game to it's peak efficiency. Of course, if you breakdown their fundamentals, both have hard serves with good placement, both are mentally tough and fearless on the court. But, they're also quite different in some regards. You mentioned the backhands (two-handed vs. one-handed); Maria's an aggressive power baseliner who rarely ventures to the net. Pete is a classic, serve-and-volleyer who aggressively attacks the net at every opportunity. Maria is lanky and somewhat awkward in her movement; Pete was explosive with great athleticism. And with regards to her being more talented than Pete; it really is too early to compare the two at this point in Maria's career.

I don't think Maria will ever become a classic, serve-and-volleyer. At this point, it would require her to develop a one-handed backhand; an effective slice, approach shot; she would have to greatly improve her volleying technique; her serve would have to improve even further (power and placement) from where it is now; her footwork needs to be worked on; and she would have to mentally adjust to playing a completely different style to what she is accustomed to. Serve-and-volleyers take more time to develop, and at this point, for Maria to totally redevelop her game, would set her back. The most we can expect is for her to incorporate all-court elements into her existing game. The fact that there are so few grass tournaments would probably be another reason to not adopt S & V. She has many elements to her that would make her an ideal candidate, but for the reasons mentioned above, it's probably never going to happen.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Wait....didnt Pete "change" his game to win Wimbledon, lol:)....
Why would Maria want to go for that one-handed BH?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Atrixo said:
I don't think Maria will ever become a classic, serve-and-volleyer. At this point, it would require her to develop a one-handed backhand; an effective slice, approach shot; she would have to greatly improve her volleying technique; her serve would have to improve even further (power and placement) from where it is now; her footwork needs to be worked on; and she would have to mentally adjust to playing a completely different style to what she is accustomed to. Serve-and-volleyers take more time to develop, and at this point, for Maria to totally redevelop her game, would set her back. The most we can expect is for her to incorporate all-court elements into her existing game. The fact that there are so few grass tournaments would probably be another reason to not adopt S & V. She has many elements to her that would make her an ideal candidate, but for the reasons mentioned above, it's probably never going to happen.
You bet, I was just kidding on that point. And having this big two-handed backhand, it would be such a waste to change it for Maria.
Anyway, according to the following quote of Bollettieri, I have some hope that Maria will implement more game at the net in the future.

“She controls the court by hitting the ball so flat and hard. Defensive balls are an opponent’s main option. The more people who know and read Maria’s aggressive game, the more defensive balls will come.

“Some opponents, powerful players such as Amelie Mauresmo, for example will play one sound defensive stroke after another. If Maria is met with consistent defensive returns, the chances are that she will start over-hitting.

“The change that I will advise is that Maria becomes a more attacking player. By a full 50 percent.

“There is a big difference between offensive, powerbased play, which is how Maria plays at the moment, and attacking play, by which I mean coming forward.

“If her opponents know she is not only going to play big and offensive, but is also prone at coming in at them at any moment, they’ll be pooping themselves,”
And I also hope, she'll follow the steps of Pete in a dedicated quest of perfection in her specific game and in this will of breaking records in a long lasting carreer (though it will be very very tough to achieve more than did Steffi Graff).

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to bump this uninteresting thread of mine, but the way Maria dropped her serve on a double fault at 5-3, 30-40 in the third set, trying to ace on 2nd serve really reminded me of Pete (I saw Pete doing this on a matchpoint and lose in 1st round in RG).

It's like they're pissed of not having their first serve in and hit the second with anger.

And once again, Maria and Pete both have that kind of "coldness" on court, never showing emotions whatever happens. They make the winners and the UE's in a match. That's such a thrilling game, I love it.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lindsayfan said:
the only player who can become the next Sampras is Roger Federer. I doubt that any wta girl can play like him.
Yep you're right as far as style of play (Pete's serve and volley) is concerned but I'm mainly talking about attitude and behavior on court, that kind of "all-or-nothing" stuff, you see ?

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Her coach is being paid. What do you expect him to say?

"oh..I just hope to make as money off the kid before she burns out"

Wasn't he working with Alexandra Stevenson before?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Who was the first Sampras of the WTA?

Why can't Maria just be Maria? Isn't she good enough or does her greatness come only in tryint to lump her in with an ATP player?

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
I can see similarities... they will all win Wimbledon a heap of times... :D :D :D

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Lindsayfan said:
the only player who can become the next Sampras is Roger Federer. I doubt that any wta girl can play like him.
yup I think he's even more talented ... but that doesn't mean he's going to be better ;) But if one person comes close it's Roger! No way Maria reminds me at Pete :confused: If I would compare her with another player ... well she has much from Venus' game I think

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
Nope....not in domination, not in a playing style.

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
Or it must be that you think maria will never win RG?!

·
Registered
883 Posts
quasimodo said:
I heard these guys on a french sports channel quoting Robert Lansdorp saying that Maria was even more talented than Pete. And, beyond having the same coach, I see many similarities between the two players : Maria's ritual before serving is like copied from Pete's (Pete used to wipe sweat on his forehead with his thumb while Maria arranges her hair, lol) and this forehand movement ending at the right side of the head is typically Sampras-like. Plus they don't smile, never show emotions on court.

Is Maria going to give-up the two-handed backhand and implement systematic serve and volley :p ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Please it hurts. She is no where near pete samprass. Pete is prob the most taltneted player out there after roger federer.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
It's too early to say if Maria will be like Pete. Hopefully she'll win as many GS Titles. She needs more consistency on serve atm. But if you look at the stats, you will see that she has been successfully coming to net more at the US Open. I see that as a good development.

AS for raw talent, she has at least as much of that as PS. I hope she will develop it as well as he did.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts