Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never thought she had that good of court coverage but lately when I watch her she seems to move very, very well...

What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
quasimodo said:
She's quite fast though not the fastest out there. And the thing is that she's able to hit the ball in awkward positions.

very true...

·
Banned
9,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, she is good at hitting the ball in awkward positions...Do you guys remember in the AO semifinal against Serena when Serena hit that forehand that caught Maria off balance and she was able to get the ball back with that awkward backhand...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've noticed and heard that about taller players being able to hit the ball in awkward positions. I guess thru the years of playing and training they develop different techniques then their shorter competitors.

·
Registered
32,778 Posts
Yea, Maria has great reach due her looong arms and legs so she can get a lot of balls back..you just have to look at some of the photos of her stretching out to return serve. Her movement has improved a lot lately as she gets stronger but she still hasnt finished growing yet. :)

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I don't think she's too fast, a lot of faster players out there. And she isn't known for her speed. Certainly a lot of times she runs pretty awkwardly...but she's got good court coverage cos of her height. Which is also the reason why she sometimes has trouble running for drop shots.

Dan, you don't think she's stopped growing? :eek: She's way too tall already!

·
Registered
39,486 Posts
Hor her statue and height pretty fast but doesn't look light on her feet

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
She's fast from side to side, but not when she has to move forward, I think.
Not enough players exploit that (yet). O fcourse, they have to get the chance to
exploit Maria's (few) weaknesses.
She also is ablo to hit balls when she is totally off balance, like Serena and Venus
do too.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
squash said:
Maria Sharapova is very slow, she looks like a COW when trying to move up court. Maria can not volley either! I am amaze she is doing this well. :lol:

what does that say about Davenport :lol:

Maria is not fast but she's quick and she has good footwork, which helps her out on shots

·
Registered
560 Posts
What that says about Lindsay is that everyone including Lindsay knows that she is very slow. This does not make Maria Sharapova any quicker.

When Maria can serve and volley, chip and charge and then maybe volley at all then we will see. This topic was not about Lindsay Davenport.

·
Registered
12,274 Posts
Maria is like Venus, but Venus has a better footwork, and she can run more easily than Maria, but both are pretty quick. Maria is more of a fighter.. Venus is a sprinter hehehe

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've always thought Maria moves very well. She is pretty fast for someone as tall as she is.

Though not nearly as fast as Venus who is about the same height, she covers the court extermley well, specially side to side. It's hard to get a ball by her.
Though she hits very well on the run, when she is really pulled out wide she tends to go for alot more to get back on the offense and often misses.

I noticed that during the Serena semifinal in AO. For the 2nd half of the 2nd set and late in the 3rd Serena stopped hitting to the middle and was running her around hitting the lines, Maria often felt pressured to go for broke, and she'd miss, I think more players need to really stretch her out because though she is a great mover, she is still not up there with the likes of Serena, Venus, JHH, Kim Clijsters.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
SHe's ok for her length. But the length argument isn't really valid since Venus and Dementieva are just as tall and can move very well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.