I can watch her serving all day :hearts: but volleys? :tape: :lol:

·
Registered
16,320 Posts
What kind of question is this?

·
Registered
19,561 Posts
If she's on form and playing well, yes. But the Serena that often shows up at regular tour events (except for the bit in the USO Series last year) these days is pretty bad to watch, but she gets the job done.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
02-03 Rena was a joy to watch - flawless

These days, she has glory days when she plays amazing (AO 07), but her movement is not as good as it used to be, so she might look sluggish and off-balance at times. Thank god she has that serve. As the poster above mentioned, she gets the job done these days

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Yes, when she is playing well, she is a joy to watch.

I've grown fond of her in the last 2-3 years now. She's aged me, like a fine chianti fff fff ffff ff ffff.

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts

Please keep this discussion civilized. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I'd say yes, although she is not the most enjoyable from a "pure" tennis perspective. HOWEVER, that was more true a decade ago than it is now. 10+ years ago (Serena's early career) you had Hingis, Davenport, Seles, Graf, etc. -- a lot of exceptional ball-strikers, volleyers, athlete's, and so on. Serena was a ball basher by comparison. Without such a field, and given that generation suck is so freaking one-dimensional, Serena's game SEEMS much more enjoyable even though it's actually regressed.

Obviously her serve is a sight to behold. Her movement used to be fantastic to watch, although I'd argue her footwork was always questionable. Today, not so much; she's quick but she definitely lumbers around the court, not pleasing to the eye. Her volleying is very average and her finesse is nearly non-existent, although once again when we compare her to Azarenka, Woz, Sharapova etc. she looks like Federer in those aspects of the game :tape: Her groundstrokes are a mixed bag -- technically sound, powerful, great angles, takes the ball early, but once again she is not as ferocious a shot-maker as she used to be, and errors can fly off her racket.

So overall, Serena is very enjoyable to watch, but she's no Hingis or Graf. But when the competition is Azarenka or Kvitova or Wozniacki, she is among the most enjoyable in today's game.

Reactions: JJ all the way

·
63,643 Posts
I'm not a fan of hers, but I have a HUGE respect for her :worship: So, yes, I do enjoy watching her matches.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts