Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just thinking is serena the best of her era, and better than Hingis. How long do you think she can stop, Justine?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
I am just thinking is serena the best of her era, and better than Hingis. How long do you think she can stop, Justine?
stop Justine from what?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hingis was in a different era and was the best in that era, however shortlived it was. Serena is definitely the best of this era, which was also briefly ruled by Justine. I think she means stop Justine from winning RG?

·
Registered
20 Posts
yes i would say better than Hingis. Mentally she is and shot wise, but i thin Hingis plays cleaner tennis and doesn't always looked rushed or forced...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I think you should compare Hingis to Henin and Venus not with Serena. One more slam and Serena can be compared with Monica.

So yes Serena is the best of her generation and definitely better than Hingis she proved that already in the 1999 Us Open final.

Oh, and I don´t think Serena is going to stop Justine or vice versa. I think they´re going to have an even big battle this year and that they will dominate the field.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't know: Hingis has 19 tier-1 titles. Serena has only half of it. :rolleyes:

Hingis has spent over 200 weeks at number 1, Serena I think maybe 50.

A lot of Serena's wins are based on powerful first serve, Hingis's wins are 100% tremendous tennis!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
I don't know: Hingis has 19 tier-1 titles. Serena has only half of it. :rolleyes:

A lot of Serena's wins are based on powerful first serve, Hingis's wins are 100% tremendous tennis!
and a serve is not part of tennis? :lol: :tape:

yeah, and Serena has a superior match record, winning record vs top 10, slam results, more majors won, more variety of majors won too.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Yep..without a doubt..and she's only adding to her legacy.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Hingis's acomplishments..weeks at no.1, tier I titles,etc..only tell that she played more. I mean Lindsay has more titles and weeks at no.1 too..does that make her better than Serena? Don't think so.

·
Registered
296 Posts

You cannot be serious???:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just curious if you know how many women have powerful serves and have never won jack...Think about your premise for a bit and decide if you really believe what you posted....

·
Registered
315 Posts
You cannot be serious???:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just curious if you know how many women have powerful serves and have never won jack...Think about your premise for a bit and decide if you really believe what you posted....
no one in the wta tour serves better than Serena's. she can serve a 200 km per hour first serve, something that most men on the atp tour can't reach.

there are degree's to power serve , Serena has a ridiculous powerful serve more that any other woman in this sport which has helped her win matches in which her qualities from the back of the court were less than her opponent's. anyway, this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
no one in the wta tour serves better than Serena's. she can serve a 200 km per hour first serve, something that most men on the atp tour can't reach.

there are degree's to power serve , Serena has a ridiculous powerful serve more that any other woman in this sport which has helped her win matches in which her qualities from the back of the court were less than her opponent's. anyway, this is just my opinion.
lol i bet most men can reach 200 kmh, thats not THAT hard

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Is like saying: Pete Sampras only won because he got such a damn good serve. Serve is most important part of tennis...can't serve, can't win.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
They both champs.. and in twenty years its Serena,Venus, Justine, Martina, Lindsay, and Jen that ppl are talking about from the late 90s and early 2000s..

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Hingis was in a different era and was the best in that era, however shortlived it was. Serena is definitely the best of this era, which was also briefly ruled by Justine. I think she means stop Justine from winning RG?

I agree with this, Martina's era of 1997-2000 was her years and she was the best.

Serenas years of 2002-2003 plus if she does dominate this year in titles and grandslams then 2007 is hers.

I still believe Martina is the best player in 1997-2000. All the numbers show that. As for 2002 to 2007 It can be said that Serena dominated fully in 2002-2003 and then here and there. As for generation, Martina was the best of her generation :) FOR ME. :)

Ok my last post, this thread is just .... I've discussed so much of these kinds already.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I agree with this, Martina's era of 1997-2000 was her years and she was the best.

Serenas years of 2002-2003 plus if she does dominate this year in titles and grandslams then 2007 is hers.

I still believe Martina is the best player in 1997-2000. All the numbers show that. As for 2002 to 2007 It can be said that Serena dominated fully in 2002-2003 and then here and there. As for generation, Martina was the best of her generation :) FOR ME. :)

Ok my last post, this thread is just .... I've discussed so much of these kinds already.
Martina's problem is, she has not won a slam since 1999 which is 8 yrs ago.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yea, Williams only dominated because of her serve.

It wasn't her powerful, deep, corner-to-corner groundstrokes, or her sheer athleticisim, or tough mentality, or ability to fight back in matches. None of that helped her reach the top and win matches. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Lindsay had a powerful serve too, didn't make her the best of her generation.
Brenda schultz-mccarthy holds the fastest serve speed, she is yet to make crack even the top 20.
Molik, nadia, stosur, etc have such powerful serves, they are yet to win majors. It takes more than a big serve to beat up even the most 'artistic' players.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Yes, and most definitely YES! I would also rate Davenport over Hingis as she, at a young age, had to compete with the likes of Graf, Seles, ASV and Sabatini in their prime. Once she reached her prime, Lindsey dominated Hingis. I would also rate Justine and Venus, at their best, over Hingis.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts