Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i always wondered if serena was that hard to beat.....i mean players have beat her b4 yet she doesnt play her best in some games and still wins...this just confuses me....someone help me out here?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think some are defeated before they even get on the court. IMO. But for the higher ranked players. I think she is hard to beat because she has the "Total Package" to win against players.(Serve, speed, power, mental edge, etc.). When other player only was one or two strengths.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes that makes sense but i have to say her mental game isnt always their......but it seems like someone like kim or justine would be able to beat her more than they do :confused:

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Venus has all of those qualities, plus a devastating net game. If they weren't linked by blood Venus would have more Grand Slams and Serena fewer.

Reactions: tennisIlove09

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
andylover_16 said:
yes that makes sense but i have to say her mental game isnt always their......but it seems like someone like kim or justine would be able to beat her more than they do :confused:
they say all the time, serena gives no patterns. she never heats one shot twice. when you watch her, I didn't think it would be true, but really she doesn't give you the same shot. when it comes to serena being off or whatever, and still winning games and points. Jennifer Cappy put it best when she said, even when she is off she is still going for her shots. So they are landing in at least half the time if she is still missing.

Serena yeah has the total package. But I think the biggest factor is physically she "muscles" a lot of balls back. Most of the players on the tour and take a big shot right at them, even when they are just standing there, and their opponents just blast it at them. They can't take the pace. Serena, she steps into the ball, even when its coming at her w/ great pace, and mucles it back with the same amount of pace, or even some times more. She is just intimidating all around. And when she is "on" her game, she makes great opponents look bad.

I think since she has done this on serveral ocassions, a lot of the players go into the match knowing, well damn if she is playing great, im done for no matter what.

Realize that even when Serena isn't playing that well, players are still strugglin to beat her. A lot of Serena's losses are 6-4 7-5 in the third. She makes you come up with it. Although she gives a lot of errors away in matches, she keeps going for it, and therefore you are going to have to take her out. She isn't going to give it to you, even if she is smacking 50 errors.

That is what is really amazing about her game. Venus does it well, but Serena just masters it. She is the only player out there I know, that can consisetenly win matches against top players, when she is off and hitting 50 + errors.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
mmcdonald said:
Serena isnt that hard to beat its just that the other players dont have the same weapons

well Venus does, especially with her improved Second serve but her mental against serena is the problem
that is why I think now, more than anything, venus and the mental thing is gone. it left after australia. her mental status against Serena didn't show at all during Wimbleodn. That is why I think she is really focused on her health, and making a good run at the Us open and at serena.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow :worship::worship: .......that has really made me understand serenas game a lot....i never realized all those things about her.....ive always kind of thought that she wasnt a big deal but u made me realize that she gives away so many points but still wins majority of her matches which is quite unbelievable......the only negative thing being just imagine if she got 5-10 unforced errors every match... shed be UNBEATABLE! :eek:

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
andylover_16 said:
wow :worship::worship: .......that has really made me understand serenas game a lot....i never realized all those things about her.....ive always kind of thought that she wasnt a big deal but u made me realize that she gives away so many points but still wins majority of her matches which is quite unbelievable......the only negative thing being just imagine if she got 5-10 unforced errors every match... shed be UNBEATABLE! :eek:
it would mean the biggest thing off her game is gone. the going for her shots. serena is not an incredible good defense player but she keeps trying even when she sprays balls all over the court. still that match against cappy in scottsdale 2002 is the biggest example of that. she couldn't smash that day and instead of holding back she tried, tried and tried and won the match. I loved it :worship:

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
irma said:
it would mean the biggest thing off her game is gone. the going for her shots. serena is not an incredible good defense player but she keeps trying even when she sprays balls all over the court. still that match against cappy in scottsdale 2002 is the biggest example of that. she couldn't smash that day and instead of holding back she tried, tried and tried and won the match. I loved it :worship:
I dont understand why you say she isnt a good defense player. I've seen Clisjsters and Capriati and similar players hit over 20 winners in matches against other opponents and then get to Serena and Venus and barley manage to hit over ten winners.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
agreed very much so :worship:

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Vegetable said:
I cannot imagine a match where Serena doesn't make tons of unforced errors... well maybe against a much lesser player who is making tons of errors of their own (like Schett at the French Open)
I suggest you watch the 2002 Nasdaq quarters vs Hingis, 2001 Indian Wells quarters vs Davenport, 2001 US Open vs Hingis. Heck I suggest you watch the 2002 US Open and Wimbeldon championships.

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
Luci said:
I dont understand why you say she isnt a good defense player. I've seen Clisjsters and Capriati and similar players hit over 20 winners in matches against other opponents and then get to Serena and Venus and barley manage to hit over ten winners.
I mean she is not a player who makes 5 errors in a match because she always tries a lot. those players don't hit winners because serena hits them before they get a chance ;)

with defense I mean players like amanda c who try to play it save.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.