Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is rebound ace dangerous?
It's been asked before-and I believe it's time to ask again after Monica's opponent is out, though I admit I don't know the specifics. It's a serious enough issue that the tournamnet director defended the surface a couple days ago after A-Rod turned his ankle.

Question
Have any of us played on it? If so, what can you tell us?

Looking at the 4 slams since 1988(the first year Rebound was intrduced to Australia) are there more injuries/defaults here than the other slams? And which injuries(for any slam) can be pinpointed as happening at the slam, not a chronic injury?

Davenport's injury/withdrawal was a chronic pullout, while Serena's pullout can be tied to the rebound. I propose we look at this, so if possible let us know which injuries we have>

1. After 1988
2. Listing the slam and year.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Let's see.... just this year alone...

1] Serena twisted her ankle
2] Roddick twisted his ankle
3] Sele's opponent fell or something
4] Did Meghann get injured too?

And I saw all these 3 matches. I am sure there are even more injuries caused by this surface. I mean it is so sticky that if you run fast, there is a risk of spraining something or just falling.

·
Premium Member
182,317 Posts
Lina is also on crutches after she damaged her ankle on Tuesday :sad:

It can be dangerous, more so in heat when the surface becomes sticky.

The foot sticks while the body tries to take off or turn causing damage to the knees and mostly to the ankles.

·
Premium Member
182,317 Posts
Anabel Medina's foot got stuck in the court, leading to damaged knee ligaments.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Well, when some players say their feet sometimes stick to the hot court, I say there is a problem. It's unfortunate. But I think some of these injuries are related to the sticky rebound ace courts.

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'll check from 1988-I remember one yearGaggy Sabatini had to leave the Aussie on crutches.

Thanks TBE, Wiliams-Rulez, and Sonic.
I think we can discard Shaughnessy's injury(she had a bad back I heard) unless it can be connected to Rebound.

So far (*) == certainly connected to surface or on site injury

Aussie

*Serena Williams(Withdrew-injured at Sydney)
*Andy Roddick(ankle-retired)
*Medina Garrigues(?turned something-retired)
*Lina Krasnoroutsya(ankle-crutches) retires vs. Martinez

*Brie Rippner retires vs. Seles
Yi retires vs. Testud

No injuries
Cacic retires vs. Lorenzo
Galvadon retires vs. Kruger

Husarova retires vs. Graf
Sawamatsu reties vs. Basuki
Van Rosst retires vs. Fernandez
De Ville retires vs. Sanchez
Boogert retires vs. Appelmans

1995-96
No injuries
Po retires vs. Graf
Lottum retires vs. Appelmas
Porwik retires vs. Graf

Maleeva defaults quarterfinal to Sanchez
Cueto retires vs. Katrina Adams
No injuries

Tanvier defaults to Garrison
*Sabatini leads Porwik(ankle?-leaves on crutches)
*Edberg defaults final to Lendl(?)

1988-89
No injuries or defaults I know of

I've only checked the women so far, but this is a start.

·
Premium Member
182,317 Posts
some good news is that its already getting cooler

tempeature has dropped by around 10C in the past hour or so.

its around 24C now, and its gonna rain pretty soon with some more rain on way tomorrow.

Cooler temps for next few days

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Rollo, don't forget about Stefan Edberg defaulting the 1990 men's final to Ivan Lendl, midway through the match. He pulled a groin muscle or lower abdominal muscle late in his semifinal win. Some say the injury was caused by a sticky court. All these injuries must be looked into.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Thats why they tell the players to wear worn shoes with less grip.

And other than the stickiness of the court, there's also the heat.

Anyone see the footage of when they fried an egg on the court, I think it was in '88?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I hate to be cruel to Medina (that was a cruel injury), but her footwork up to that point wasn't impressing me. She was trying to do a 'Kim Clijsters' sliding into everything, and on that kind of surface (even if you are Kim), it's suicide.

But yeah with the heat particularly, it's more prone to getting stuck in there. Not nice.

·
20,610 Posts
She is a clay courter... it is natural for her to slide... ;)

·
Banned
692 Posts
Ive played on it before. Its not usually injury-contageous (hehehhe) But wen the temperature starts getting warmer the court tends to stick to everything, even few moths who land on it is a death trap. (Like getting tangled in a web) Thats y most players like to wear worn out shoes.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yes, I think it should be changed and not to hard court. Is there anything else they can invent that is easier on the players bodies?

I also think there should be less hard courts but hey, who listens to reason?

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far. The moths bit is rather frightening
:eek:
I'll add injuries like the one Cat and mentioned (Thank you Cat:) as they come to my attention.
Does anyone know if 1997 was really hot, because it was an epidemic of injuries, with 5 defaults alone on the women's side.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
yes it was, they even closed the roof on monday because of the heat after Steffi almost died the day before and more players were put on a machine after the matches that day.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
"Yes, I think it should be changed and not to hard court. Is there anything else they can invent that is easier on the players bodies?"

Synthetic Grass? A lot of Australian courts have that.

I read an article in the newspaper today saying that in about 10 years time hardcourt grand slams could be a thing of the past.

Because they are starting to be aware of how damaging hardcourt tennis is on players' bodies. Not just pros, but social players too.

I hope so.

Bring on the clay & grass :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Sam L - I read that article too. I hope it happens sooner than 10 years.

·
20,610 Posts
But I love playing on hardcourts. They give and nice bounce!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts