Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I heard that after Clijster's and H-H's points drop off, Momo will be number one within a month or so. Is that true?

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,957 Posts
There used to be a lot of whining when a player holding no Slams would reach #1. Now imagine what is going to happen if a player who hasn't reached a GS final in 5 years becomes #1..

·
Banned
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that would be so cool......

·
Registered
113,587 Posts
Myskina can be # 1 for 2004. Very doable.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
No offense to Amelie but her becoming #1 after the hard court season will prove how fucked up this current ranking system is.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
M_pIeRcE14 said:
No offense to Amelie but her becoming #1 after the hard court season will prove how fucked up this current ranking system is.
Not really because it's only because other players have had to miss alot of time from the tour. When Clijsters was chasing Serena THAT showed what was wrong with the ranking system.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Mauresmo is currently N°1 in the race to championships. She won two Tier I's (Berlin, Rome), she was finalist in another Tier I (Amelia Island) and played quartes in Melbourne and RG, and semi in WImbledon. That's pretty consistent (more consistent than Myskina). So I don't think the ranking system is to blame. Maybe Justine and Kim's injuries helped her a little bit but Amelie got injured too.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Amelie Island is only tier II. The green clay tournament that's tier I is Charleston, which Venus won.

I think it's ok for Amelie to be no.1. She's been very consistent recently. If not for her injuries, especially during the AO, I would've picked her to reach the final. She's reached at least the QF in each grand slam played, as of now. She's poised to reach at least a QF showing at the US Open. Plus, the Belgians who dominated last year is injured so they'll inevitbaly lose a lot of their points.

I don't think Serena or Venus will reach it at this point, but maybe next year as the gap is too big. But they have all to gain as they were not there during the hardcourt season last year.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Hope Myskina becames #1 before Amelie :)

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
ys said:
There used to be a lot of whining when a player holding no Slams would reach #1. Now imagine what is going to happen if a player who hasn't reached a GS final in 5 years becomes #1..
:worship:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Knizzle said:
It will be weird to have Mauresmo or Myskina be #1. I know Myskina has a slam, but still.
But still what? She has a slam, regular results, she deserves it, period. Even though I love Momo, I think it's definitely not the same with her. A player who hasn't reached a grand slam final since the Australian Open something like 5 years ago would be a shocking number 1.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If Myskina gets to number 1 it will be very well deserved, as she has a slam and other major titles, which is more than I can say for any other player on the tour right now, save Justine.

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
Truthwillout said:
But still what? She has a slam, regular results, she deserves it, period. Even though I love Momo, I think it's definitely not the same with her. A player who hasn't reached a grand slam final since the Australian Open something like 5 years ago would be a shocking number 1.
I agree.
People were complaining when Kim reached no.1 even though she reached 3 slam finals last year & was holding 9 other WTA titles at the time!

Now there's Mauresmo who might become no.1 and she hasn't reached a slam final this century :p (plus she's only got 3 tournament wins to her current ranking)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Brαm said:
I agree.
People were complaining when Kim reached no.1 even though she reached 3 slam finals last year & was holding 9 other WTA titles at the time!

Now there's Mauresmo who might become no.1 and she hasn't reached a slam final this century :p (plus she's only got 3 tournament wins to her current ranking)
So what do you suggest?
Momo should give her ranking to someone else?
All those comments are ridiculous because you are not eligible to change the wta rules. All the players plays with the same rules. If Momo is 1st, so be it.
What's more I'm pretty sure she'd rather have a grand slam instead of being first in the rankings.
I'm really sick of all those comments; each time a player is number one then comes the famous "she does not deserve it". It has so much the taste of jealousy even when it's not the case.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'm exceedingly biased, but I kinda feel Amélie has had such abysmal luck that she deserves a break. But hopefully she'll win the US Open so there won't be any whining. Allez!

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Crazy_Fool said:
If Myskina gets to number 1 it will be very well deserved, as she has a slam and other major titles, which is more than I can say for any other player on the tour right now, save Justine.
Since we like the same players, I totally agree :rolleyes: :wavey:...I mean it was an awful long time for Justine being no.1, though she hadn´t played for so long (this is somewhat of an accomplishment!!!), it´s time to leave.

No, I think that Myskina can defintely make it, her best result she had 2003 between Wimby and the US open was QF in Sopot (a TIER III), her best result at one of the summer Tier Is was 3rd round and she didn´t even play the other one, so I´ll kick her ass if she won´t make it to no.1 at least for a month or two, she will do everyting to show the world that she´s the russian to be, cause after that it will be hard to defend her points from last fall.

But I also think that Mauresmo deserves to be no.1, though she never won a GS...it´s not all about the big results, at least Momo won two Tier Is in a row.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts