Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:scratch: "What about Mauresmo?", says one of the commentators on ESPN :scratch: , when refering to who was the favorite to win Miami. I have to say with all the focus on Hingis fantastic return; Sharapova and Kuznetova (who are both playing fantastic tennis); is Mauresmo getting the respect she deserves as #1. I mean I have not seen one of her matches yet? The commentators rarely associate the #1 ranking (and seed) with her name when the do briefly include her in the running for the Miami title. Your thoughts. :confused:

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
I think she does deserve being #1 and I think one of the reasons why she isn't given the respect/credit she deserves, is that she did the final by retirement (which was unfortunate for Amelie). Had she won on a championship point things might be different.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Does she get respect, yes, will she ever get the television coverage she deserves, no, she is not glamorous enough, sad and unfair but true

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I don't know anything about the commentators in the states, I live in Europe but in tennis terms I get the impression Amélie is not known that well over there, she doesn't live or train there. She doesn't play alot of tournements in the states she prefers to play in Europe that is obvious looking at her schedule, she doesn't play any tournements on the green clay or any of the summer tournements in California.
Correct me if I am wrong but the only tournements Amélie has won in the states is Philly and the YEC.
So does it surprise she does not get the respect she deserves in the States, No.

·
7,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jonny84 said:
I think she does deserve being #1 and I think one of the reasons why she isn't given the respect/credit she deserves, is that she did the final by retirement (which was unfortunate for Amelie). Had she won on a championship point things might be different.
Man, I totally forgot about that, but If that is the reason that is messed up. She won the year ending championships. I mean, you have to beat the best players in the world, sometimes twice to win that title. And haven't her results proven that she should be #1.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
GracefulVenus said:
Man, I totally forgot about that, but If that is the reason that is messed up. She won the year ending championships. I mean, you have to beat the best players in the world, sometimes twice to win that title. And haven't her results proven that she should be #1.
Her results have definitley proven she should be at the top, and no-one can take that away from her. I think people will respect her when she does win a title by playing the full final (it was very bad luck for her when she won due to Justine's retirement). She's had a great year since the end of 2005 and is carrying it on well! Hopefully she can cruise to the French Open title.

·
Registered
52,357 Posts
Meh... it's doesn't really bother me if ESPN isn't giving her the respect she deserves as #1 :lol::shrug:

But in Canada, they sure are showing Mauresmo alot in their promo for the Canadian Open (along with Myskina, Likhovtseva and Sharapova ):angel:

·
7,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Helen Lawson said:
Look, I don't ask much from you, girl! Why can't YOU give ME the RESPECT that I'm entitled to? Why can't you treat me, like, I would be treated by any STRANGER on the STREET???

Because I am NOT one of your FANS!!
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Banned
3,920 Posts
Shenanigans said:
I don't know anything about the commentators in the states, I live in Europe but in tennis terms I get the impression Amélie is not known that well over there, she doesn't live or train there. She doesn't play alot of tournements in the states she prefers to play in Europe that is obvious looking at her schedule, she doesn't play any tournements on the green clay or any of the summer tournements in California.
Correct me if I am wrong but the only tournements Amélie has won in the states is Philly and the YEC.
So does it surprise she does not get the respect she deserves in the States, No.
She won Amelia Island 2001. :wavey:

·
Registered
52,357 Posts
Shenanigans said:
Funny that, last year the likes of you were saying she would never win a slam.
I sure remember that!!!!!!!! :p

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
the attention she gets matches up with what you expect from her. if all the names are there she will never be a favorite to win, but she is one of the ones you expect to see in the later rounds. and everyone knows she always has a chance. all number one ranked players arent always viewed as the favorite. hingis, davenport, mauresmo, sanchez-vicario, and kim werent always the favorites when they were number one.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Momo doesnt get the credit she deserves but honestly most ppl dont believe shes actually the best player on tour. Not to take anything away from her but her record against the elite players isnt that great and while shes having a fantastic year she hasnt had to play anyone worth remembering (she would have gotten that if Justine didnt retire but Justine is Justine and I wouldnt expect anything less from her).

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
karl m said:
One slam wonder she is.
better than "no slam wonder" I would think... :devil:

Reactions: pav

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Well said MinnyGophers! The commentators are always nit picking the number 1 but the cream always rises to the top and Amelie is totally deserving of top spot.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
My opinion is, that in the states, she doesnt get as much recognition because like other posters said:

1/ she isn't as "Glamorous" as say Sharapova
2/ She isn't American or pseudo-American (worse even, she is from France and we know how Americans feel about the French)

When Kim was number one, she didnt get that much more attention either, and surprisingly neither did Davenport...
True tennis fans recognize her as a worthy number one, others don't know her because her name isnt Sharapova or Williams.
That's how i feel anyways...

In Europe, it's a different story because she is more well known there.

Actually I kind of like it. She just flies under the radar, she doesnt have any added pressure. It's great for her.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
She needs some more big titles this year and against the other elite players, and then I think the level of respect you are talking about will come. Most, I think, have stated she is having a great year, but want to see if she backs it up......

Also, no 1 or 2 players are dominating the WTA right now..... anyone can win.... and the commentators are not picking faves to win because of that. It is much like how the ATP was before Federer became Jesus!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts