Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Martina's has consisently gone on about how she could never have expected this is her comeback.

But if she didn't then way did she comeback?

This was IMO a ploy by Martina to fool the rest of the tour into thinking she was going to slow and rusty at the start and gradually get better yet so far, Martina has won 10 out of 13 matches since her comeback and is rolling more and more in every tournament she goes.

Martina fooled everyone and she is now getting her rewards :devil:

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
Martina knows what to expect at the very beginning, and we will know what she will do very soon! :D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I think she is honest too...there must be a part of an unexpressed champion's pride behind all this but it's great to see her act more humble than before... :)

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
DevilishAttitude said:
Martina's has consisently gone on about how she could never have expected this is her comeback.

But if she didn't then way did she comeback?

This was IMO a ploy by Martina to fool the rest of the tour into thinking she was going to slow and rusty at the start and gradually get better yet so far, Martina has won 10 out of 13 matches since her comeback and is rolling more and more in every tournament she goes.

Martina fooled everyone and she is now getting her rewards :devil:
Fooled everyone???
Some things never change on tour. One of those things is doing well at tournis where her biggest competition is sidelined or taking a break.
Martina is now 28-3 at Tokyo (Pan Pacific).
Partly because not enough top players play this tourni.
Last year Tokyo was one of the weakest Teir Is on tour.
This year its even worse. Paris next week will have a stronger show up than this tourni.
Partly because Martina just knows this surface the best.
Partly because Martina would have always been a top 10 player if she even played the last 3 years.
Nothing has really changed. Martina is a better player for sure.
She thought she would have some ups and downs.
Problem is not enough players who are a threat to Martina are playing these tournis.
Kim, Lindsay, Venus, Serena, Justine, Mary, Nadia.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Of course it's a trick. It's very obvious she's been working hard, and she would have been disappointed had she been relegated to losing 2R matches. She said herself that she didn't come back to play at Court 19. It's going to be interesting year - she observed very accurately that key is to stay healthy. If we have again another injury-ridden year at WTA, Hingis may end up very high in the rankings by year-end.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How should she have known how good or bad she will play against the TOP players from today?! I mean she didn't look really good against the "powerplayer" back when she "retired". She didn't fool anyone, she just didn't know what to expect.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep , right , so now it's Serena who's gonna stop Martina after witnessing Sharapova's defeat...........
Come on , just accept it ......... Martina is the greatest talent out there..........stop making excuses and trying to postpone what's already a reality!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
Haha, I'm a huge fan, but Hingis always had a place in the top 10 at the very least. I don't think she would come back unless she knew she would eventually comeback to the top.

The thing is, what she 'didn't expect' is for this to happen so quickly. She's already making QF's of slams and finals of Tier 1. I think she predicted this to happen, just not so quickly.

But once again, Hingis has undeniable talent.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Martina is no fool, she knew exactly what to expect. That is why she stated publicly that she couldn^t wait to play Maria. Maria needs a new coach, Martina is smart enough not to really need a coach. The main thing for Martina is to pace herself so she doesn^t get injured or exhausted.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Obviously. She's just that much of a genius!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
What else could he say - before she tried she wouldn't know?

if she had stood up and said " I have been watching the tour recently and the standard is really low, the big hitters have fallen apart physically, the Belgians are still damaged by their 2004 injuries and half the top ten are mentally fragile, Mary in her thirties at her 2000 level is steamrollering her way to GS finals - i can beat this lot" we would never have heard the end of it.

·
Registered
23,610 Posts
The problem with Martina was the pressure of being a prodigy, she had a lot of followers even when she began her career at 14, she reach the nº1 very easely, then players like Davenport, Capriati and the Williams began to defeated her, and she lose some matches because she didn't carry with her own pressure. Now is different, it's like a new beggining but without pressure, and yes things come quickly than expected, but Martina is probable the most talented player in the las decade, so it's not so unusual

1 - 14 of 14 Posts