Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the most accomplished. She obviously is that.
Not part of the best team. The Williams sisters are that til someone beats them with any consistency. Or, if you prefer to stay among the uninjured, Clijsters/Sugiyama.

But rather, the single individual player who would have the greatest success in doubles regardless of who her partner was.

To my mind, that player was indisputably Martina Hingis, til she retired. (Whodathunkit. Navratilova active while Hingis was retired. Maybe Hingis should become Navratilova's coach.) I've no idea who that might be now, because the most of the good doubles teams now are loooong term partnerships, so we don't know how those players would do with other partners. (It does take a few tournaments to get used to a partner, so one shots don't inform us much.)

Lindsay doesn't play doubles so much any more, because of the toe.

It might be Kim, she is reigning RG and WB champ, but withthe same partner. It could as easily be that Ai is the better doubles player given that she has the same doubles 'cred'.

· I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
48,281 Posts
Ruano Pascual/Suarez have been in like 6 straight GS finals. That's good enough for most folks on here to consider a singles player that does the one of the best. ;)

I prefer to watch RP/Suarez or Renee Stubbs and whomever she is playing with.

· Diosa Contable
2,605 Posts
Martina has improved so much since I first saw her at the Madrid Open 2000! To be truthful, when I first saw her play I wouldn't had thought she could be improving to where she is now. She knows all about the doubles game, and she gets the crowd on her side. I was at her QF match against Raymond/Bryan this year at Wimbledon and the support was overwhelming, she feeds from that too I think.

However, she's not the best doubles player out there. I agree with MirjanaLfan, the best doubles player is Lisa Raymond, she has the perfect game for doubles.

As second best, I would probably say Ai Sugiyama. For entertainment value, go see Rennae Stubbs though :D

· Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seles said:
Ruano Pascual/Suarez have been in like 6 straight GS finals. That's good enough for most folks on here to consider a singles player that does the one of the best. ;)

I prefer to watch RP/Suarez or Renee Stubbs and whomever she is playing with.
RP/S is a very good TEAM, even a great one but how are either of them with other players? Have either of them won a slam with a different partner?

If I needed to win a doubles tournament this week, and I had my pick of partners, who'd give me the likeliest chance of winning as my partner?

· Registered
34,055 Posts
Volcana said:
RP/S is a very good TEAM, even a great one but how are either of them with other players? Have either of them won a slam with a different partner?

If I needed to win a doubles tournament this week, and I had my pick of partners, who'd give me the likeliest chance of winning as my partner?
The same year they won their first RG (2000) both played mixed doubles final, with Carbonell/Ruano as champions.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
No - her serve is too weak; she is often broken. Also, her return isn't as effective as, say, the Williams sisters or Kim.

In terms of net play and position/thinking, she may still be the best.

· Registered
10,884 Posts
By far Martina is the greatest doubles player of all time. Can't dispute that. However, the current doubles tandums, in my opinion, are not as deep as they used to be.

Although I think Martina and Kunetszova are a good combination, they are not necessarily the best out there. They still need to prove themselves at the Slams.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Martina/Svetlana have benefitted from some weak draws this year. Have they beaten any of the top teams (i.e. Clijsters/Sugiyama, Williams/Williams, Pascual/Suarez, Raymond/Davenport)?

· Registered
1,540 Posts
Martina & Sveta beat Ruano Pascual/Suarez in Miami.

They've only played Clijsters/Sugiyama once and took them to three sets.

They haven't played Davenport/Raymond this year. Received a walkover in Miami.

They lost to Williams/Williams in Australia as did Clijsters/Sugiyama, Davenport/Raymond & Ruano Pascual/Suarez.

· Registered
10,740 Posts
Just to clarify, I think Martina Navratilova is the greatest doubles player ever. In this day and age I think she has the edge of anyone right up there on the volley at the net on both sides. Her serve is the only reason why I place her behind Lisa today.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Zummi said:
Martina & Sveta beat Ruano Pascual/Suarez in Miami.

They've only played Clijsters/Sugiyama once and took them to three sets.

They haven't played Davenport/Raymond this year. Received a walkover in Miami.

They lost to Williams/Williams in Australia as did Clijsters/Sugiyama, Davenport/Raymond & Ruano Pascual/Suarez.
So there you have it! The Williamses are the best team in the world. They have beaten all the top teams and that at the same tournament!

· NeverWoz
25,696 Posts
*sigh* @ morons who can't answer questions properly.

Yes, right now Martina is THE best current doubles player on tour. Her volleys are simply amazing, and although the rest of her game isn't what it used to be, if I had to pick a partner for an upcoming tournament, Martina would be miles ahead on my list.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.