Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:)

Of course, I am joking. I saw Maria play at Wimbledon and she has Top 10 potential for sure, but I do wonder how long it will take her to get there. Take out her grasscourt events and her season has not been that great at all, and I started to realise that actually she is in a similar situation rankings-wise at the moment to Sam Smith in 1998. Smith beat Conchita Martinez and reached the fourth round at Wimbledon and got to #50something in the rankings and stayed there for a year until she dropped back down again.

I don't think for one moment that Maria won't improve her ranking, and she certainly won't drop down again next year, but when you delve into her ranking points and results you realise that she is mostly ranked where she is on the back of Birmingham and Wimbledon, which is frustrating more than anything, because I do feel the hype is justified and I am a big fan. I just wish the hype would be a little less frantic and Kournikova-like to give this girl time to grow into her game and up the rankings.

· Registered
527 Posts
*convulses over punctuation in the title*

edit: thank you.

· Registered
17,738 Posts
Sam Smith RULEZ!!!

· Registered
16,773 Posts
It turns out that the tireless IMG hype machine, now that Maria has lost so early, has not actaully influenced the media as much as we supposed. A news.google.com search this morning yielded a surprisingly low number of articles about her loss; the US Open web site did not write it up (as they certainly would have, had she won); her post-match interview was not even up.

I wish this issue of relaxing age-restrictions had not come up. Then maybe Maria could play some smaller events in relative obscurity and start to build her pro game.

· Registered
17,738 Posts
I dont know what IMG are thinking with her...

· Registered
16,898 Posts
This loss for Maria is a minor bump in the road. She's gaining valuable experince this year and she will be a major force on the WTA Tour with her play in 2 years. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.