Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting really worried. She hasn't won anything big so far this year. The highest ranked player she has beaten is Farina-Elia :eek: and that win came in the first tournament she played. She has lived up to her seeding only once and for the rest of the events she has entered, she crashed out in the first or second round. She hasn't won back-to-back matches in a while.. and this time, she lost to someone practically unknown and definitely someone she shouldn't have lost to (no disrespect to Arancha). I'm starting to worry that she's joining the Jelena Hantuchova club.. I mean they are all from East European countries...so should make a great club...

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even more frustrating is she's had so few points to defend early this year including this clay court season as she didn't do well during the same period of last year. At the beginning of the season, I seriously expected she had a shot at getting back into the top 10 if she came up with a couple of decent results. She still has chance if not as great, to improve her ranking more or less if she does well in the up coming big events, the German Open, Italian Open and French Open.. but I doubt she will get her form back in time..

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
just relax and ride the ups and downs with her

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Naldo are you riding the ups and downs with Jelena with no worries?

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
yup not worried at all. coz i know she'll pevail. if it doesn't come right now, it will in the near future. i don't worry about these things. everyone gets them sooner or later, even us non tennis pros so.............and i'm a pretty relaxed dude anyways

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
Naldo....I'm sure some Anna fans said that about her at some time...and a few still are :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maggie is much older than Daniela or Jelena so doesn't have many years ahead in her career. So I can't be so optimistic. I just hope she will end her tennis career on high note. I thought this was her last chance to get back into the top 10 and I think her chance was quite hopeful, then she blew it big time.. I'm still hopefull she will go up the rankings a bit before the Moscow comes.
Is she the kind of player who plays well only indoors? If that's case, I may have to think twice before calling this a slump...

·
25,925 Posts
gogomaggie, Maggie defeated last week Pistolesi (Fed Cup) so I'm not so worried... I think for Maggie it is very difficult to play with young players... Last year it was the same so far... She only made one round more at the Australian Open...

Up to the end of April last year maggie won 333pts. This year she has won 318 ...

·
Registered
631 Posts
thanks ghosts...I'm not too worried (yet) either...gogomaggie you are being overly dramatic as usual...and it is highly annoying! Here's an idea...why don't you go find another fav...I'm sure that would make us all happy!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Don't worry about Maggie. We have good days, we have bad days. The same with Maggie. She's fine.

Of course she plays best on indoor carpet, but I think that she'll warm up and just get better and better. I have faith in her! :)

·
25,925 Posts
Valda Lake, dont behave like that!!! ;)
gogo loves Maggie like us!! He is worried, he wants to see Maggie in semis, in finals, beating top players and I am sure that's the reason to be a bit dramatic :)

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, ghost like always. Yeah I may have overreacted.. I know it's not too serious..but as a fan, I jus couldn't help it. My expectations to her were really high at the start of the year, so my disappointment so far is all the bigger. Sorry, if I'm making some of you Maggie fans, uncomfortable with me being so dramatic and pessimistic. I try not to act that way again.

Reactions: ghosts

·
25,925 Posts
gogomaggie said:
Thanks, ghost like always. Yeah I may have overreacted.. I know it's not too serious..but as a fan, I jus couldn't help it. My expectations to her were really high at the start of the year, so my disappointment so far is all the bigger. Sorry, if I'm making some of you Maggie fans, uncomfortable with me being so dramatic and pessimistic. I try not to act that way again.
;) :D

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
gogomaggie said:
Don't apologize, you didn't do anything wrong. Why Valda Lake decided to act like a complete bitch, i do not know.

I wouldn't be too worried about Maleeva. Look at last year. Before moscow, she was about #25-30 in the point standings. She's really nothing better than a top 25-30 player on outdoor surfaces at this point. Indoors is where she'll pick up the bulk of her points, the rest is just gravy. So don't fret.

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, King Lindsay. I wasn't as aplogetic as I may have sounded anyways.
I know she's not a good outdoor player.. but she has done well in some outdoor events in the past and especially because she didn't have many points to defend in the early part of the season, I really hoped she would get into the top 10 again.. anywhoo I'm still quite optimisitc and have learnt to live with my favorites' losses.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Haven't seen Maggie play live in almost 2 years so to have her win Moscow last year was more than I could have asked for... anything now is extra, although I do agree that to blow a one-set lead in an event like Warsaw is disappointing, she could have done some good stuff here.
Let's go Maggie :p

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,445 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about - Maggie often has her ups and downs over the year, but I think she always seems to pick things up towards the end of the year when she is indoors. No need to panic yet, hopefully she will be able to have a good run at Roland Garros :)

·
25,925 Posts
Guys, this is Maggie's first tournament for the year when she is out after R1, she defeated Farina and Pistolesi and a couple of young players...
She is also having a great partnership with Liezel Huber for doubles :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts