Tennis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the attendance from yesterday's match, it looks like LA hasn't changed that much from last November, when the majority of the WTA events were underepresented by the fans. After last year's event, the attendance was blamed on a lack of Marketing; the newness of the event! What can they say about yesterday's semi's?

The Big Boys at Saddlebrook have got to start thinking about the problem we have here. WTA can't have another 2002 showing; it's too damaging for the sport! You can't have a Master's Event, with ALL of your heavyweights present, in a city with a metro area of 15 Million people, and an empty arena - just can't happen.

I propose that the event is relocated to Antwerp or Brussells, true tennis markets! There, the demand for an event is so high, that last year's Diamond games broke all attendance records for a Teir 2 event!

Let's get this thing out of LA!

Cirew

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I believe the same thing too. I also think it is due to the fact that California alone has like five baseball teams, hockey teams, basketball teams, and an endless amount of other sporting events going on.......also add to the fact that with california, there is Indian Wells, Acura, Bank of the West, and the year end championships....that is four for the women...near by states have some tourneys and also include the men.......and you have a recipe for disaster....I don't understand why the wta won't move one of those especially the year end to New york. It makes more sense since the market is in need of some tennis. The other tourneys can relocate to Boston somewhere close to Usopen like Pilot Pen, which is right next door.

It is basically over exposure in that market.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Why oh why they moved it from madison sqaure I dont know.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Having the Year-End Championships in a fixed location like Antwerp or Brussels will only be good as long as you've got two top Belgian players. Look what's happened to German tennis since the retirements of Graf and Huber.

The event always seemed to do well in New York; it's a shame that the Dolans decided they didn't want it anymore. Of course, considering the way they run the rest of their sports-related businesses, we shouldn't be surprised that the screwed up with the WTA Masters.

I'm beginning to think rotating the Championships wouldn't be such a bad idea. LA one year, Belgium the next, Russia deserves it once (although with only eight players -- bad idea -- they may not have anybody represented), and so on.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I attended the LA event a few years back when it was in Manhattan Beach. There were solid crowds and a really cool atmosphere, even though it was a midweek session with early rounds being played. I don't understand why they chose to move it. The same thing happened with the Family Circle Cup. They were drawing huge crowds at Hilton Head Island, and then they go to Charleston with the attendance plunging, from what I hear. What's up with that?

·
Registered
12,908 Posts
I think it should move from LA too. The Tour Championships were an attendance disaster, and it seems like this weeks tournament has not had good showing either.
I dont think it should be moved to Belgium though, like someone said that would only be bc of Kim and Justine, and once they've gone the attendance will drop. It always seemed to do well at Madison Square, they should think about putting it back there.
Or they should do what the ATP Masters Cup does and relocate to a different venue around the world every year. I think it would be great if the WTA Champs were in Shanghai, there seems to be a big market for tennis there. The ATP Masters Cup in Shanghai was great, it was packed every night and the crowd were so into it, it was amazing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just like the Men's tour, I believe the Season-Ending Championship should alternate locations. Since Justin & Kim are the flavours of the month, this year would have been good year to present the options to Antwerp or Belgium. Next year, you would look at exploring other locales, based on the "Current Flavor". If, say, The Russian Girls are doing well, you move the tournament to Moscow, etc. LA just doesn't seem to have that much of an interest in the sport.

Cire

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
I must say that the Chase attendance really is embarrasing this year.
And it's at at beautiful state of the art facility.
If the tour championships had been held there, the semis would have been full since there were more than 8,000 fans. But when you have 8,000 people in the Staples Center it looks like nobody is there. :(

But in a nutshell, the marketing sucks. If I were not a Big Tennis Fan ;)
I would have had no idea that the Chase was even happening this week. :mad:

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Bring it back to NYC and MSG!! :bounce: :bounce:

I was there the last year, if only I could be there again. :sad:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
They should bring the event to the UK, we only get 3 tournies a year in this country, having the best 8 players (aswell as the doubles) here would definitley get people to go see it. :D

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
VeNuS FoReVeR said:
Bring it back to NYC and MSG!! :bounce: :bounce:

co-signed

cali only gives a shit about basketball

·
Registered
25 Posts
Actually, California and Florida are the tennis hotbeds which is why California has so many tennis tournaments. Tracy Austin, Lindsey Davenport, Pete Sampras, the Williams Sisters, etc all came from the Los Angeles area. Tennis is popular in Los Angeles. The events need to be marketed better and the big american names have to show up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.