Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She defected to Switzerland after September 11 attacks didn't she - I wonder if she has decided to be proud to be American this year or not? I hadn't noticed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't think she defected as such. After September 11 the WTA gave players the oppotunity to play under different countries if it was possible for them to do so and seeing as Kim is married to a Swiss guy she decided to play under the Swiss Flag in the tournaments that where going on at that stage. She is still listed on the official WTA doubles rankings as representing the US so I think that is was only a temporary thing. She said during the Swisscom Challenge last year that since Sept 11 she felt safer playing in Europe under the Swiss flag rather then the American.

·
Registered
610 Posts
She's playing for Switzerland just in Europe. That I read in the swisscom challenge journal when I was in Zurich to watch the quarterfinals last year.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
And changing to Swiss is going to help her, how?? They're not going to target her ... The Williams/Capriati/Davenport maybe ... but Po??

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Haven't you heard? The leaders of Al Qaeda have launched two new campaigns to destroy the U.S.

1) blow up all nuclear power plants in North America

2) hinder Kimberly Po's doubles matches.

It's very insidious

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
lol @ mishar. :eek:

During the Swisscom Challenge this topic was raised and I was almost lynched for ragging on her. I find the whole thing utterly absurd. :rolleyes:

Miss Kimmy, go enjoy the benefits of Swiss citizenship and live in Zurich. We don't need you! :(

·
Banned
692 Posts
lol thats funny.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
What? The WTA gave the American players the option of playing under another flag!? Okay, so let's say that a top player like Jennifer Capriati wanted to play under the Italian flag because her father is Italian. Would Osama then suddenly be fooled into believing that Jen was really an Italian disguised as an American all this time? :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts