Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Kim Clijsters will not be the first person to hold down the number 1 in singles and doubles at the same time (Navratilova/Sanchez/Hingis come to mind)

There is a big chance Kim can take over as both Number 1's this week. Will she be the first player ever to spend her first week as the number 1 singles player in the world at the very same time she spends her first week as the number 1 doubles player in the world?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,406 Posts
at the rate she's going, it is possible.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,738 Posts
You know this is probably the last thing on her mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,954 Posts
what about being the 1st #1 without winning a grand slam first? or has that been done before?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
Instant said:
I know Kim Clijsters will not be the first person to hold down the number 1 in singles and doubles at the same time (Navratilova/Sanchez/Hingis come to mind)

There is a big chance Kim can take over as both Number 1's this week. Will she be the first player ever to spend her first week as the number 1 singles player in the world at the very same time she spends her first week as the number 1 doubles player in the world?
Not too likely I'd say.
Not only does she need to win the tournament. Also her oppontents have to be Sugiyama/Davenport/Henin-Hardenne. No other combination can give her the no. 1 spot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,406 Posts
Gowza said:
what about being the 1st #1 without winning a grand slam first? or has that been done before?
sorry, Marcelo Rios owns that record. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,954 Posts
what about in womens tennis?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
I have to correct myself:

She will not be ranked no. 1 in singles next week. The maximum points she can earn from now on by winning the tournament would give her 6060 points in the rankings, equalizing Serena's total, which would still leave her at 2, as she played more tournaments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,738 Posts
Gowza said:
what about being the 1st #1 without winning a grand slam first? or has that been done before?
Marcelos rios, but no woman has done that. There have only been like 7 world number ones ever in the womens game anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,738 Posts
great smash said:
I have to correct myself:

She will not be ranked no. 1 in singles next week. The maximum points she can earn from now on by winning the tournament would give her 6060 points in the rankings, equalizing Serena's total, which would still leave her at 2, as she played more tournaments.
Yes but it will practically give her the number one spot, as Serena has pulled out of the LA tournament.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
great smash said:
I have to correct myself:

She will not be ranked no. 1 in singles next week. The maximum points she can earn from now on by winning the tournament would give her 6060 points in the rankings, equalizing Serena's total, which would still leave her at 2, as she played more tournaments.
Maybe I could be wrong but I calculated she will have just 1 single point more
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
ans said:
It's all over the newspapers in Belgium. If kim defeats Sugi-Davenport-Henin, she will be number one, unless the reporters can't calculate.
It's the newspapers that are wrong. That combination could have worked if she would have met (and beaten) Shaugnessy in the third round. Now that she's out and Kim (should she make it) will meet Bartoli, it's not going to bring her enough bonus points.

You should know better and not trust the newspaper journalists, there are far more reliable sources here on the board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
AlexSydney said:
Kim have to defend her Doubles title next week at Los Angeles with Jelena Dokic last year.
I know but being no. 1 for one week next week is still a definite possibility. Furthermore Virginia, Paola and Ai have a win/final respectively to defend in Canada, so Kim could regain the spot after the Canadian open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,463 Posts
great smash said:
It's the newspapers that are wrong. That combination could have worked if she would have met (and beaten) Shaugnessy in the third round. Now that she's out and Kim (should she make it) will meet Bartoli, it's not going to bring her enough bonus points.

You should know better and not trust the newspaper journalists, there are far more reliable sources here on the board.
In defense of those poor journalists: Shaugnessy was beaten after their articles were written... ;) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,738 Posts
Gowza said:
what about being the 1st #1 without winning a grand slam first? or has that been done before?
But Lindsay Davenport and Martina Hingis have both been World Number #1s despite winning a grand slam in that year. Lindsay ended 2001 ranked #1, she didn't win a slam in 2001. Considering the rankings count one year only, I don't see why Lindsay deserved the #1 ranking in 2001 more than Kim does now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,994 Posts
great smash said:
It's the newspapers that are wrong. That combination could have worked if she would have met (and beaten) Shaugnessy in the third round. Now that she's out and Kim (should she make it) will meet Bartoli, it's not going to bring her enough bonus points.

You should know better and not trust the newspaper journalists, there are far more reliable sources here on the board.
ok thanx, didn't know that.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top