Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont think she is well known in Croatia because it's been too short since she was first discovered to us, and to the casual Croatian tennis fans, they probably only read about her. Dont know if they find her as a successor like Lucic was now that Majoli is retired. (Iva won her major at 18)

However, she only reached her first slam-QF and reached top 20 on the verge of turning 20. If I'm not mistaken, All of the top 10 did that earlier than her, so comparing to last few decades, this is considered a "late bloomer" for a "prodigy" like her. Dokic and Clijsters were noticed when they were 16, even Hantuchova won her first tier I title at 18. So I wonder if you consider her a late bloomer or a young and talented player considering the accomplishments you see she can do?

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
No...just look at Myskina, she was nearly 21 when she broke into the top 20 in June 2002, also due to injuries.

It isn´t too late for Sprem, definetly not. Some people just need a little bit longer...;)

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spunky83 said:
No...just look at Myskina, she was nearly 21 when she broke into the top 20 in June 2002, also due to injuries.

It isn´t too late for Sprem, definetly not. Some people just need a little bit longer...;)
That is correct, she was. That's why she blooms late winning her major at age 23. So you do think K-Lina is a late bloomer then:).
Funny how the younger Elena would accomplish a lot less than the elder Nastya. And she was the one being called the more talented...:).

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
She didn't even start playing (for fun) at age 9. So to make a GS QF 10 years after touching a racket... she's doing well! ;)

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Athenaeum said:
She didn't even start playing (for fun) at age 9. So to make a GS QF 10 years after touching a racket... she's doing well! ;)
Is 9 too late? I started when I was 11, and I thought that's good enough.:).
Clarisa did better, lol, she started @ 15. I wonder how long it too Venus to reach the final since she started.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
CJK said:
Is 9 too late? I started when I was 11, and I thought that's good enough.:).
Clarisa did better, lol, she started @ 15. I wonder how long it too Venus to reach the final since she started.
V came out of the womb with a racket in her hand... tis what Richard wanted. ;)
(Kidding W/S fans!!!)

·
Premium Member
181,855 Posts
Karolina had alot of injury problems as a junior.

talents been there, but injury held her back.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
yea Clarisa did VERY well reaching a slam SF like 5 years after playing.

but K-Lina is here to stay. she's gonna be another one of my hated faves :)

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
it is too young to tell if she a LATE bloomer.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
her game also needs to develop! she has to improve on a few things i think:
mentality - she has to close out matches! she constantly fails to do this and lets her opponent in. if she is going to the top she cannot keep doing this!

consistency - she needs to improve this also, she needs to learn not to blast every shot! i mean many times she goes 40-0 up and then blasts 3 shots wide.

volleying - she doesnt come to the net that much, and when she does it isnt very convincing.

i feel if she can accomplish this, she will break into the top 10 and maybe top 5

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
also every interview ive heard of her recently 3 matches, she mentions she had chances to win! i had a big chance at 3-0 final set etc.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
I think she is well known in Croatia - maybe not exactly famous but people do know her. Some months ago there was a question in "Who wants to be a millionnaire": "Who is 'Karolina Varaždinska'?" - of course the guy knew the answer.

·
Registered
997 Posts
i knew about her when she was just a junior

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Joana said:
I think she is well known in Croatia - maybe not exactly famous but people do know her. Some months ago there was a question in "Who wants to be a millionnaire": "Who is 'Karolina Varaždinska'?" - of course the guy knew the answer.
Did she comment on Iva's retirement? and saying the rest of Croatian tennis now rests on her shoulder thing? I think it's pretty interesting now that has 2 19 year old charging in ATP and WTA rankings, Mario and K-Lina, yet men seem to go up the next while the girls seem to stay behind. 2 completely different games:). And good serves by the way for K-Lina, no lack of those for the Croatian players:).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts