Tennis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jennifer has had a fabulous season, no doubt about that. But during the yeare her performances gradually got worse. And her last indoor results weren't much better than what she had achieved in 2000.<br />I think Jennifer's game hasn't developed that much in the last 2 years. Her fitness is most improved, I would say.<br />I think most important for the quality of Jennifer's game is confidence. I really don't think the season would have gone this way for her if she had lost to Nagyova in the 1st round at AO. But she gained confidence by winning it, and in the final she had enough confidence to believe that she can win.<br />But that confidence is gone now. And again you can see the weak parts of her game: the hectic and russhing, the bad serve (toss up), more errors, wild play.<br />Her game is not that spectacular. She needs the great fitness and especially self-belief to be at the top. If she continues playing like she does right now, then I she will have problems to stay there.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
The most important part of Jenn's game is conditioning. She's one of those players who gets a lot out of losing that last five pound, and loses a lot when she gains it back. And she wears that bare midriff out fit, so you know immediately if she's out of shape. And she is. Her stomach is now a distinct bulge, not the near flat stomach of OZ 2001. And she has a smaller version of the roll of fat Monica has been fighting around the middle.

I'm aware that fat is a feminist issue, but its also an athletic one. Jenn's not in the shape that won her two GS titles this year. She's got two months to get right, get healthy and get in shape. She won't defend OZ in the kind of shape she's in now.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I think the loss to Venus in New York weakened her mental resolve then, and it's continuing to effect her now. That seemed to be a defining match for her. That was the impression I got back then. Whoever lost that match would be the most effected. It's definitely a confidence thing for Jen. And a report of her waning fitness does not help her either.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I'd agree: at the very start of the year (2nd round loss in Sydney, near-loss to Nagyova at AO) Jen didn't look like champion material, even though she was much fitter. The fitness helped her storm past Seles, Davenport and Hingis, and that gave her confidence. (When a player has a power game, it's generally factors like conditioning and confidence which are key: see Venus after winning 1st GS, also Davenport.) Then she only won one tournament before RG, Seles and Davenport both took revenge, she couldn't beat Venus etc. At RG - not to diminish her accomplishment - but neither Serena nor Hingis were at their best; in fact, both were playing pretty abysmally. Then she nearly lost to Kim in the final. Then the Venus part of the season kicked in, and no-one could really do anything; Serena took revenge as well. So Capriati now only has a winning record aganist Hingis, and the knowledge that she hasn't consistently won titles (only 3!). So yes, I think she's back on the level of 2000. Or maybe early 2001, pre-AO title.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts