Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Conchita Martinez fan asks...is it time for Arantxa to hang up her racket?

I never thought I would be asking myself this but the last couple of months have been very demoralising to see Conchita struggle in all the tournaments shes played over the last couple of months. It is awful to see Conchita, who has had an illustrious career and epitomised hard-work and mental strength, fall week-in, week-out to players whose careers are incomparable to Conchitas

It is awful for me simply being a fan so what must it be like for Conchita? I dunno if Martinez has an injury or that she has lost the feeling for tennis. Unless Conchitas results start to pick up again, I really am starting to think that this year will be Conchitas last on the tour, in singles at least.

I'm interested to see what other Conchita fans and non-conchita fans alike have to say about this subject

·
Banned
3,727 Posts
It doesnt matter what results she gets ...... she obviusly loves playing tennis and still gets resonably good results, i think she will continue just for her passion for the game ... she has lots of fun as you can see sometimes when she plays.

·
Registered
135 Posts
She's just recovered from long time injury and a lot of wins still are ahead. She can add more tournament trophies in her belt. Go chochita. Watching you paly is always an enjoyable thing.:)

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Conchita is well on her way to losing her match at the open..it isn't completed yet but she lost the first set 6-3 or 4 I forget and is behind 4-1 at the moment. I always admired Conchita..but I never thought she lived up to her potential...how old is she? If she's near 30...pack it up and have some babies!!:rolleyes: barmaid:angel:

·
Registered
25,259 Posts
I think so long she still feels like playing tennis, she can go on, just like Michael Chang, many said he should be retired but he still continues, winning is good but may be sometimes they really enjoy just playing. I hope Conchita will continue to play to accompany Monica otherwise she would be too alone coz her peers all retired/about to retire.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I would hardly call Conchita one of the hardest workers on tour ever.. If she did as much hard work as she has natural talent, she'd probably have 4 or 5 slams to her credit...and definitely a french open title!!!

Having said that, I think Conchita should do what she wants to do, but if her reputation etc is important to her, she should give it away soon so she doesnt lose too many embarrasing matches and be remembered for that...

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
She's returning from injury and so I think she'll need some time to settle down.

That said, she only beat Dementieva last week so she's not out of it yet :).

Wait for the clay court season :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts