Tennis Forum banner

Best of 5?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
I find the men's side at slams tedious due to the length of their matches and the (general) inevitability of the overall outcomes.

Much prefer the shorter matches + additional randomness allowed for by three sets.
Agree. Best of 5 is really quite tedious IMO. I don't like watching tennis that is a marathon grind.

·
Registered
14,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I don't have a strong preference, but I don't think its correct to change the match format during a tournament. I would only be in favor of Bo5 if it was all the way through.
It would be like in snooker so for me it would not be all that strange.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
No, now I even wonder If there should be a tie-break in the 3rd set at 6-6 in all slams knowing it's a huge advantage to serve first in the final set and the matches from Yesterday proved it, Zidensek and Pavlyuchenkova both win by serving first in the deciding set. Who knows maybe the outcome would have been different with a tie-break.
Perhaps, but it's false equivalency. The best way to avoid serving second in the deciding set is to win the match in straight sets.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Agree. Best of 5 is really quite tedious IMO. I don't like watching tennis that is a marathon grind.
The matches aren't played to alleviate your boredom. Several male players have told me over the years that they love playing best of five at the majors, because it's such a change from the quickfire matches on the regular tour and it generally means that only the best players will succeed. Still having a chance to win when you're two sets down is a pretty powerful incentive, and we've seen it time and time again (including Djokovic just a couple of days ago).

·
Premium Member
28,308 Posts
I would change GS to be all B03 even for men or do B03 for everyone for the first 4 rounds and B05 for the QF onwards

41 - 47 of 47 Posts