Tennis Forum banner

Best of 5?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

Registered
maybe they should just have best of 7 non-stop. Once they defeat their 1r opponent they can't rest and have to face their 2r opponent. Basically ultramarathoning but for tennis.
Play to the death! 馃槵

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I only watch mens grand slam matches when there's no interesting womens matches going on.
And even then I get bored, start making dinner, watch cat videos on YouTube, etc.
I can't fully invest all my time into such a long match - especially when it's Nadal or Djoker when it's a full gone conclusion anyways.
I can get you, lol. And those 4h30 long men slugfests tend to derail scheduling of matches of women in early rounds when they are scheduled after them

Registered
First they desperately need to do away with the mudcourts that are taking their toll on the player's health, and maybe extend the grass season by converting some of these HC tournaments

Then we can start talking about BO5 at the slams.

We love to bash the WTA and praise the ATP by comparison, but you have to remember that the surface speed has been adjusted to suit the men's game where servebotting was a big problem. It is now taking it's toll on the health of the WTA tour and players, where for health reason consistency has become IMPOSSIBLE without a GOAT serve to keep your matches short.

Registered
First they desperately need to do away with the mudcourts that are taking their toll on the player's health, and maybe extend the grass season by converting some of these HC tournaments
It is one of those tennis myths that today's clay courts are more taxing to the body than the grass courts.

Registered
Unaccetable. The tour is already hard on the bodies.

Registered
Can鈥檛 wait for those classic 06 06 60 60 60 WTA score lines .

Registered
Unaccetable. The tour is already hard on the bodies.
Honestly this. It may be a good idea on paper but no. There are so many injuries and withdrawals as it is.

Maybe, just maybe Slam final or YEC final like it used to be. But as maximum and I wouldn鈥檛 change.

Shovel Yourself Out Of The Shit
I find the men's side at slams tedious due to the length of their matches and the (general) inevitability of the overall outcomes.

Much prefer the shorter matches + additional randomness allowed for by three sets.

Reactions: Perun and Dodge

Registered
BO5 is one of those traditions that seems to be out of place in the social media era, but that will still endure a fairly long life, unfortunately... It is not even fair to the players, matches have become ever more taxing and the game physically more brutal with each passing decade, so what seemed good in the 80's does not necessarily translate well into the 2020's... Seeing that it looks like the ATP still wants to keep it apart from the WTA in Slams (and BO5 plays a big part on that), I would love to see the men's matches dropping to a BO3 format, but still keeping it differentiated, maybe with 10-game sets instead of the regular 6-game format... that way, the ATP gets to keep its supposed "edge" , but the players can have a little of respite...

Registered
I would like to see the women not have tiebreakers at all. Given the women's better ability to return serves, I don't think it would create that much of a physical toll and would reduce a chance element.

Registered
6 of top 10 were out of RG due to injury (mental or physical) (barty-mugu-naomi-bva-halep-brady)

Registered
If you want more players in hospitals...then yes...other than that, NO...

Registered
Its the whole event or nothing, you cant change the rules half way. I don't think it would do anything for the game, but if you want the same money, do the same work. The days of arguing that 3 for the girls is like 5 for the boys are over, at THEIR demand. Oh the irony.

Registered
Yes but only for the GS finals. Its ridiculous why woman gets exact the same paid as the men but are done in half of the time.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts