Tennis Forum banner

Best of 5?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've watched some long matches of females at this edition of RG and most players handled it remarkably well especially Tamara Zidanšek.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I accidentally voted yes but its a no for me. Can you imagine the number of MTO and injuries. WTA players are already complaining about the best of 3 sets.

·
Art & Futures
21,976 Posts
No. Tennis is already a long form of entertainment. Doesn't need to be longer in social media age hehe.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
No. Best-of-5 should be consigned to history.

Enough players get crocked playing best-of-3. Why chance more retirements?

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
No, now I even wonder If there should be a tie-break in the 3rd set at 6-6 in all slams knowing it's a huge advantage to serve first in the final set and the matches from Yesterday proved it, Zidensek and Pavlyuchenkova both win by serving first in the deciding set. Who knows maybe the outcome would have been different with a tie-break.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes. Because there's more chance for an epic match that'll stay in everyone's memory with a 5-setter.
And I feel women will never get the same recognition as long as it's kept in best-of-three (unless the men switch to bo3).

Some years ago, the final of the WTA Tour Finals was played in best of five. They can handle it.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I'd rather the men play best of 3

·
Art & Futures
21,976 Posts
So...best of 7 then? ;)

maybe they should just have best of 7 non-stop. Once they defeat their 1r opponent they can't rest and have to face their 2r opponent. Basically ultramarathoning but for tennis.

·
Art & Futures
21,976 Posts
No, now I even wonder If there should be a tie-break in the 3rd set at 6-6 in all slams knowing it's a huge advantage to serve first in the final set and the matches from Yesterday proved it, Zidensek and Pavlyuchenkova both win by serving first in the deciding set. Who knows maybe the outcome would have been different with a tie-break.
just a mental advantage, which even then is arguable

if it really was that huge of an advantage anyways players would strategize around it in the 2nd set

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I only watch mens grand slam matches when there's no interesting womens matches going on.
And even then I get bored, start making dinner, watch cat videos on YouTube, etc.
I can't fully invest all my time into such a long match - especially when it's Nadal or Djoker when it's a full gone conclusion anyways.

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts