Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maria will (or should) breeze past her first 3 rounds (vs. Loit, probably Dominguez Lino and then probably Dulko).

Her first test will come in the fourth round vs Patty Schnyder. Patty is yet to show she is mentally able to compete well against the big names in Slams and with this injury looming over her head, her success in beating Maria is questionable.

In the QFs Maria will most probably meet Mauremso or Safarova. We all know about Mauresmos jitters at RG, and her injury couldn't have helped. Also, she's been far from convincing in Strasbourg. And with Safarova, I just don't think she's up at Sharapova's level of intensity. After the AO, Safarova was playing unbelievable... that magic seems to have disappeared.

In the semis, Ivanovic, Peer or Kuznetsova will be in the way. Maria has a strong winning record against Peer and the other two, despite having some great days, are usually VERY erratic and unpredictable.

Of course, the final will be a completely different story with Jankovic, Serena or Henin in the way of the title. However, is it so stupid to suggest that Maria might actually make the French Open final?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
no it's not stupid. you can never count out a champion like maria. especially at the big events they are showing the best tennis. i wouldn't be surprised to see maria in the final. the best for her would be a first round match against loit like serena had 2003 ao. to survive such a big fight will boost her confidence.

·
Banned
9,812 Posts
she has the best chance this year as she will ever have with her draw
but I dont' see her there ... she is having trouble on clay with Radwanska and Pironkova
Loit is a very tough 1R on clay in France
Dominguez Lino will get everything back and run everything down ... won't be easy
Dulko can play on clay but she may lose before 3R
Schnyder will be the end of the road for Pova :wavey: ... she ain't injured ... she just used it as an excuse to hop on the next Istanbul - Paris flight

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Her shoulder is still hurting. I think by the time she reaches the 4th round she will be physically hampered again just like last year.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
if shes healthy , if her shoulder is ok ,Maria can do that :) the problem is she said yesterday her shoulder is still hurting :sad:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I think Patty will be tough to get by, but she really has an excellent dram. By far the easiest of the top players.

·
Registered
597 Posts
WHY NOT? With the luck she has frm the draw she can make the final. She is really very very very lucky..............

·
Registered
795 Posts
Maria has a great draw ... i wouldn't call it a cakewalk to the final, but im sure that we will definitley be seeing her towards the later stages of this tourney, despite her lack of match play and her dislike for the clay

·
Registered
115,239 Posts
Maria looks at her draw?

Reactions: CanIGetAWhat

·
Banned
4,328 Posts
if the steriod shot she took on her shoulderis still working she has a sf chance.look at what the cortizone shot did to aggassi at the usa open,it gave him endurance.roddick even said the shot will make you hit through a wall if its still in her system....well:help:

·
Registered
403 Posts
i am watching istanbulcup live, she could not hold serve, no chance about RG, sorry...

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
this is masha's year and just when people started to count her out. love the draw, shes in control of her own [email protected]!

22,716 Posts
sj :lol:

If she gets past Schnyder, which is unlikely, she'd have to beat Mauresmo/Kuznetsova both of whom would be major favourites on clay...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts