Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that Nicole Pratt is one of those girls on the tour that think they are better than others but constantly keep losing. She´s one of those hot on hardcourts around the globe and reaching some third rounds in bigger events but as soon as she reaches those she fails same as on clay in round1 as seen today.

It´s so ridiculous call herself in top20 form in Melbourne though knowing that the draw there did her some good rather than her good play and her Hopman Cup trouble was just a ranking-thing rather than an ability-thing. Knowing how well Alicia can do if being fit, everybody would have chosen her due to her abilities rather than the better ranked player Nicole was at that time. Now, I think she has a mental blocker knowing that Alicia not only is the no1 in people´s eyes but also due to her results 2003 and now she sets herself under pressure due to what she said in the Australian Open. I doubt she´s a great player. I think she´s a solid played of the likes of Nicole Provis f.e. that reach the top30 or 40 but lack mental toughness to beat top players like Alicia did in the last 2 years. Molik is a top20 candidate for 2004.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I dont think Pratt is top 20 material, but she has a good game, also she is involved in Tour politics a lot so...

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Pratty is definitely talented! And look! You HAVE to think that you are capable of being in the top 20! Just like Serena said, "Shoot for the stars and maybe you'll land on the moon." I like it that Nic aims high. She just needs to work on consistency and performing at her best. But she's got a lot of talent and a powerful game.

Alicia is on the heals of being the #1 Australian women's tennis player. I am SOOO excited about that. I think that with her good results this year, she definitely deserves the title!!!! GO LEISHA!!! :D

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I think it is great that Nicole believes in herself. It is that belief that will allow her to beat players ranked above her. Should she just say well I am ranked no. 50 so I accept that and I am going to lose to everyone ranked higher? No, the belief she has will drive her to strive to achieve greater heights. Whether or not she will ever achieve her ambitions is separate from the issue of trying. I say good on her. No-one criticised the Williams sister's when they talked about being no. 1.

Also the question of Alicia becoming the new Aussie #1. This has always been a matter of time. Alicia is 22 towards the start of her career whereas Nicole is 30 and moving towards the end.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
I just don't think Nicole is a very good clay-court player. I like the fact she is more confident and fitter, but I still think she lacks the patience to do well on the red dirt.

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
Maybe because Pratt has a dose of self-confidence, belief, needs a self pep talk, motivation, is psyching others out, in denial, is deluded, or just plain cocky. Take your pick. More than likely it's more than one of the above.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i don't think she can be top 20. she has a game that can sometimes trouble players like davenport when they are off but that is about it.

·
HAND SCRAPED
7,145 Posts
I haven't paid a great deal of attention to her schedule...

Does she play all of the high tier events, or does she go into the low ones? I don't recall seeing her much in tier 3/4/5 play from a 2 second think about it... if she plays tier 2's and 1's all the time, then its gonna be hard for her as she's always gonna be losing to the top players.... if she plays low events, i think she should be doing well in them, and so should be slowly climbing. only problem is that when she's climbed loads from the low tier events, she's gonna be stuck losing to the big girls again.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
whats wrong with calling yourself a top 20 player?

maybe she has the talent of a top 20 player, but just cant execute

to have any success, you HAVE to be confident, and you HAVE to aim high

thats why you should never sell yourself short, no matter whether its true or not, you know?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
VS1 are you delusional?!

Powerful game?! she is pissweak! ! ! !
She does not have half the talent of Alicia!
I like her .... but she is a little fighter....thats it!

She runs about the baseline like a little mouse....
She is not top 20 stuff at all, she is not a bad player, but she's utterly weaponless and lacks powerful shots on court.

·
Premium Member
20,681 Posts
Pratt is not a top 10 player, Unfortunately id say shes around top 50-30 player no lower. Soz pplz but she doesn`t have the game to go with the regular top 20 girls

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
V.Melb said:
VS1 are you delusional?!

Powerful game?! she is pissweak! ! ! !
She does not have half the talent of Alicia!
I like her .... but she is a little fighter....thats it!

She runs about the baseline like a little mouse....
She is not top 20 stuff at all, she is not a bad player, but she's utterly weaponless and lacks powerful shots on court.
Pissweak? Interesting word selection.

She is probably aiming a little too high, but there's nothing wrong with that. I've seen a few players reach the top 20 over the past couple of years, and if they can, why cant Nicole? Answer is probably consistency and the fact that they can play on all surfaces...Nicole is just plain ordinary on clay.

Hopefully she will pick things up come the grass/hardcourt season (I'm confident she will). I think at age 30 she is doing just fine. Some bad losses lately, but as I said hopefully that will change once she gets off the damn clay.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I wanted to underline was that she herself said she´s top20 material but due to her abilities she definetly lacks a power game that can do some damage to the big hitters permanently. I wouldn´t say she isn´t capable of beating them on one day or another but for the top20 she definetly needs more than some smart play and tactical understanding.

Regarding Serena, aiming high does great, but if a player that -at the same time when aiming at the top20- goes out in events early, she does herself no good regarding other players demonstrating to her where she really stands. Compare her to Kournikova who just due to her headlines in the past and her looks definetly sees herself as top5 material but who everybody on the circuit is keen to beat only due to this self-betrayal that even prevents her from working harder to come back. IMO the Kournikova-crisis isn´t just about injury but about the unwillingniss to change or improve due to her thinking she´s where she belongs. On the center courts of the world, not the outside courts. But when not winning a match, she should re-think how long she´ll get these WC into main draws before the other girls get more angry and more keen on kicking her ass

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
OK. Look. I didn't say that I though Pratty was Top 20, but I said that I think it's good that she aims high. I think that all players should aim high. I am a tennis player (not pro) but I always have to think that I can bring my A game and defeat my opponents to every match I play or else I have already lost. So I don't see any problems with Pratty expressing that she is thinks she deserves to be Top20. Good for her.

Although she isn't the most powerful player out there, I wouldn't say that she's pissweak. She's talented. She's not consistent. But it's hard to be consistent. That's what separates the goddesses from the elite from everyone else. Venus and Serena are consistently good. Pratty isn't. But she's putting in her all. What more can we ask of the players? And power isn't everything. There are several Top 20 who aren't all about power. And even top in the top 20 who are powerful, it's not just whacking the ball hard that gets them to where they are. I can whack the ball hard. But to make it lethal and well placed...not so easy. Not as easy as it looks.

So I guess my main point is...give Pratty a break. Let her motivate herself in whatever fashion it requires. And while she's an active player on the tour, let's just try to enjoy her...and the others. It's all so exciting.

ChrisGermany...ich habe in Deutschland gewohnt. Habe an der Uni (in Goettingen) studiert und mich sehr gut vergnuegt! Ciao! :)

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Sorry - trying to find the reason for this thread. Not sure why nicole's been singled out considering all players make predictions on how high they want to reach and not many realise those predictions

Nicole during the Aus Open was aiming the top 20 and said even top 10, but so what!! It's gr8 she's got some goals and thinks she can reach that high. If you don't aim high well you won't get the best out of yourself.

As for her poor form on clay.... again so what. She's had some reasonable results in the years back (nothing special) but there are many girls who haven't a clue on certain surfaces so it's no reason to single Nicole out. Nicoles got barely anything to defend after Birmingham - with some grass tournies and hardcourt to follow so who knows, top 20 could happen.

I don't see Nicole whingeing after she losses or making excuses. As for this notion that Nicole won't be able to handle the fact that Alicia will overtake her as no. 1 in Australia. Another baseless comment. Nicole was completely professional a few years back in Fed Cup vs. Austria when Lesley Bowrey played Molik (who Nic was ranked higher than) and Dokic ahead of her, even in doubles and they lost.

The Hopman Cup debate was sparked by Paul McNamee always saying that he tries to get the no. 1 player from each country to play. Therefore if this is the criteria, then it was Nicoles position. But I agree that Alicia should've played, so Paul McNamee should clarify his position on this to save himself looking so contradictory.

As for being pissweak... I'm sure Nic would beat most of us in an arm wrestle ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts