Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're now well into the 2nd year of her "slump", has she burnt out? This seems to be the longest slump ever. Even though she has no weapons her ranking doesn't suit her potential, but I now believe that that's all it will be...potential. It looks like she'll be one of those players who's potential will never be realised because of silly decisions made by her dad. The rest of the tour is passing her by and she is just slipping further and further down the rankings she's 38 in the world and still slipping.

It seems that out of all the young guns she is the only one getting worse. She must be getting sick of losing especially when at the end of 2005 everyone was making out that she was going to be the next best thing. Adidias must be kicking themselves for renewing her Stella MacCartney contract.

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
She had reasonable results the first part of this year so she's not totally in a free-fall with her ranking. She has basically little to defend the rest of the year. I hope she can break through. I'm a little disappointed she didn't take advantage of depleted/crappy draws at FCC and AI for some (hopefully) easy points. I hope she tries a couple of Tier III before the French.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
I don't know when she was really good
She was really good in '05 and in juniors.

Stop being such an ass. :rolleyes:

She needs a coach who can help her find her own game because I really doubt her dad will be able to help her with that. Right now, I have no idea what she's doing.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Stop being such an ass. :rolleyes:

She needs a coach who can help her find her own game because I really doubt her dad will be able to help her with that. Right now, I have no idea what she's doing.
Yeah, very good in 2005 : "Beats" 1 top10 player (Injured Masha), 2 top20 ..
Most of her wins in main draws were against average players.. She also won more than 10 matches in Qualies.. :help:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,790 Posts
Maria has great potential but she certainly needs a decent coach soon!

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
she has the potential, but unfortunately has no weapons

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
what Potential do you have if you have no weapons???

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
There are no players in the WTA with no weapons. That's just a fun little way for fans and media to put a player down. It may not be so off to say a player doesn't have any huge weapons, however.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
This time last year Jankovic was 'burnt out'... I'm sure she'll go back up again.

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This time last year Jankovic was 'burnt out'... I'm sure she'll go back up again.
Jankovic always had game it just wasn't coming together. Maria's plan at the moment seems to be to run down any ball she can and hope her oponent hits and error. and for a player with mediocre movement it's not the best tactic.

·
Registered
32,409 Posts
sprem's been in a longer slump...hopefully her amazingly easy draw will help her do well this week

maria is lots of fun (and fucking hot) but she really didn't fight at all when i saw her live in her match vs. venus in miami

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Can't speak to juniors, but here's her 2005 record is a bit bland. Some sparkling individual wins, but the next day she'd revert to type.

NOTE: A chart to show rough equivalencies between different sized tournaments. Winning a Tier IV is roughly the same as making the round-of-16 at a slam. Roughly.

-- GS T1 T2 T3 T4
00 -- r1 64 32 16
01 r1 64 32 16 QF
02 64 32 16 QF SF
03 32 16 QF SM FR
04 16 QF SM FR CH
05 QF SM FR CH
06 SM FR CH
07 FR CH
10 CH

Kirilenko's results '05

SYDNEY ............... T2 DQ = 0 (Didn't get out of qualifying)
AUSTRALIAN OPEN ...... GS 64 = 2
TOKYO (PAN PACIFIC) .. T1 16 = 3
HYDERABAD ............ T4 SF = 2
DOHA ................. T2 QF = 3
DUBAI ................ T2 DQ = 0
INDIAN WELLS ......... T1 16 = 3
MIAMI ................ T1 64 = 1
WARSAW ............... T2 16 = 2
BERLIN OPEN .......... T1 32 = 2
ROME ................. T1 64 = 1
FRENCH OPEN .......... GS r1 = 1
BIRMINGHAM ........... T3 32 = 0
S'HERTOGENBOSCH ...... T3 16 = 1
WIMBLEDON ............ GS 64 = 2
SAN DIEGO ............ T1 64 = 1
LOS ANGELES .......... T2 32 = 1
TORONTO .............. T1 64 = 1
NEW HAVEN ............ T2 16 = 2
US OPEN .............. GS 64 = 2
BEIJING .............. T2 FR = 5
GUANGZHOU ............ T3 QF = 2
TOKYO ................ T3 SF = 3
MOSCOW ............... T1 32 = 2

If you average it out, that's 40 'points' in 24 tournaments, for an average of 1.67. About the quarterfinals of a Tier III.

·
Registered
20,008 Posts
it isn't necessarily SAFE to say it on kirilenkoworld.com, but it's definitely an accurate statement.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts