Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play forehands left and right. My backhand is horrible I don't know how to hit one, but I've managed to learn how to hit a left handed forehand pretty decent, or a pace changing slice shot. How do I learn how to hit a backhand. I always seem to drop my racket, or hit it low>?

·
Registered
24,240 Posts
if it works for you, then GREAT! more reach! especially if you can be consistent with it and don't drop the racquet when switching hands.

most ppl who can't hit 2 handed backhands pull their head up way too early. if you're a righty, put your left hand above your right hand, and bend your knees to get low to the ball, and swing low to high (left hip to right shoulder follow through) making contact in front of the body.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
15,168 Posts
I love my two hander :drool: I use my right arm to keep the racquet stable and "drive through" with my left arm :drool: I see many people "scooping" the ball up with a two hander :tape: and that's just tacky and error-prone.

·
Registered
287 Posts
How does "forehands on both side" work? Do you just switch the hand that hold the racquet when the ball comes to you on the other side? Wouldn't it affect your timing a little bit?

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually no because i can hit it with any grip. i just have this natural reaction thing. but thansk for the tip on the backhand i'll try it!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
15,168 Posts
I think you should maybe try a 2-hander. Your inherent use of the left arm would be beneficial in putting power on the shot. During Wimbledon, the commentator mentioned that Yuri Sharapova wasn't sure if Maria should play right handed or left handed because she used to hit a lefty forehand. Also, there was a point during the Maria/Dani match when Dani rushed the net and Maria *whacked* a short angle passing shot with her left hand only :eek::scared: If you do try the 2-hander though, it WILL limit your reach on those out wide shots :rolleyes::p

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,113 Posts
esquímaux said:
Also, there was a point during the Maria/Dani match when Dani rushed the net and Maria *whacked* a short angle passing shot with her left hand only :eek::scared:
That was an excellent point. But to think about that, there was no other possibility for a player in Masha's position to win a point rather than trying to hit a left-handed forehand. Think about that. The ball was barely within her reach. She could slice it back with a single-handed backhand, that floater would ahve been easily cut by Dani at the net. She could have try to throw a defensive lob of the one-handed backhand - also a very low percentage -the ball was low and far away - no control at all. She could not hit a doublehanded backhand - the ball was too far away. Even if she had a single-handed topspin backhand, she didn't have time for a backswing. Single-handed forehand was the only possibility. They should teach it in tennis schools.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
That was an amazing shot by Maria - i remember it well.

What they should also teach in tennis schools is for players to hit left-handed overhead smashes instead of that weak, awful-looking backhand overhead stroke. I've seen Luke Jenson use the lefty overhead and it's devastating.

Did Koulikovska quit? I haven't seen her name in awhile.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,113 Posts
vogus said:
That was an amazing shot by Maria - i remember it well.

What they should also teach in tennis schools is for players to hit left-handed overhead smashes instead of that weak, awful-looking backhand overhead stroke.
Especially when it is done with two hands.. :eek:

Did Koulikovska quit? I haven't seen her name in awhile.
I think she is still playing doubles and challengers, but she is fading...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well if it works for you and you feel comfortable with it, continue using it. Unless you really feel the need to start playing with a backhand, what you got is what you're comfortable and you should stick with what you feel is right for you. People can tell you all sorts of things to do but at the end of it all, it's your decision to make and you know yourself better than anyone. It's what you do during the match that will make or break you, and if you can play with anyone with 2-forehands, more power to you. Just follow your heart.

Good luck to ya.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts