Tennis Forum banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Banned
217 Posts
Sharapova and her father took advantage of the fact that for a long time WADA did not know anything about meldonium. Thanks to the use of meldonium, Sharapova had advantages in matches. And when Meldonius was banned, she began to lose in the first rounds.

And it was especially unpleasant to listen to how she brazenly lied that drank Meldonium for many years, because she had heart problems, and that after the ban Meldonia continued to accept it because she could not find the WADA Prohibited List. It seems that Sharapova knew in advance that the CAS would support her. It all look unpleasant.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I guess for the other top 10, their tributes will have to be dragged out of their mouths during the IW pre-tournament PC, and the rest including Genie and Kiki after the R1 defeats in qualies and MD.

At least yesterday she was at WTT and met the likes of TayTo to wish her in person.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,019 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Put all the personal feelings aside, and save the "dope" and meldonium quips for the uneducated.

Her legacy will truly be one that girls, players and athletes should take note on. She relished the battle, she fought for every point and she gave full intensity no matter where the tournament, what the score, who the opponent and what the round was. She was a battler and she gave her best effort at all times. She is someone that half these you players should be striving to be like- a COMPETITOR.

I feel like her longevity and consistency is also the sign of and end of an era.

She won a title for 13 straight seasons ( something only 3 other player in history have topped)
She had 10 top 10 season finshes
9 seasons she finished in the top 5!!
She had 98......98 wins over top 10 playera
She had 10 seasons where she made at least 1 GS Semifnal
7 seasons with at least 2 GS Seminfnals
She made a GS Final in 9 different seasons!
From 2004-2016 she made the QF's or better in 24/41 GS apperances

Those numbers seem improbable nowadays and i don't see any current player getting close to those figures. She had an extraordinary career and will rightfully earn her place into the HOF. New tennis fans will only wish a player of this caliber who currently competing.
sorry! can't appreciate a drug cheat, significant is that she has won nothing since being caught out. NO drugs NO wins. Let all the little girls coming on that you have to do drugs to be as good as her, I don't think so.

·
Milk and honey
3,302 Posts
It is, because she has retired, which is why the tennis world as a whole, in particular a lot of her fellow players (and who knows how many have messaged her privately instead) are paying tribute to her. How tennis forum remembers her is not of any importance, which is why putting this thread out, while well intentioned, was kind of pointless because you're going to have the ardent haters, hard-core fans and those in between all duking it out for supremacy of their own opinions.

If there's anything I've learned in my near 5 years on the forum now, it's that everyone has the right to their own opinion but there's no need to be overly bothered by what anyone else says. We're all just shouting into the void on here anyway. Back to Maria though, it's been really heart-warming to see how happy she now is post career - she has a thriving business, a constantly busy and buzzing social life and calendar and is still deeply in love with Alex Gilkes. Seeing how much relief she clearly now feels definitely makes the decision a lot easier to take, and I can only thank her for everything she did for the game, and for her fans. I look forward to seeing her down the road again one day like I did in New York years ago. ?

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
The other top players who have not wished Maria well in public, have dodged a bullet with the cancelling of IW. Now they don't have to give rehearsed PR ready response on how good she was for the sport and inspired them.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Even though she was my least favorite player next to Henin, I must say she was one of the best fighters and comeback players on tour.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts