Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put all the personal feelings aside, and save the "dope" and meldonium quips for the uneducated.

Her legacy will truly be one that girls, players and athletes should take note on. She relished the battle, she fought for every point and she gave full intensity no matter where the tournament, what the score, who the opponent and what the round was. She was a battler and she gave her best effort at all times. She is someone that half these you players should be striving to be like- a COMPETITOR.

I feel like her longevity and consistency is also the sign of and end of an era.

She won a title for 13 straight seasons ( something only 3 other player in history have topped)
She had 10 top 10 season finshes
9 seasons she finished in the top 5!!
She had 98......98 wins over top 10 playera
She had 10 seasons where she made at least 1 GS Semifnal
7 seasons with at least 2 GS Seminfnals
She made a GS Final in 9 different seasons!
From 2004-2016 she made the QF's or better in 24/41 GS apperances

Those numbers seem improbable nowadays and i don't see any current player getting close to those figures. She had an extraordinary career and will rightfully earn her place into the HOF. New tennis fans will only wish a player of this caliber who currently competing.

·
Registered
11,196 Posts
The problem is... It’s the meldonium that helped her become a great fighter/competitor.

This drug helped endurance/recovery.

Today, we should all be thinking about the players who were cheated, especially in slams where we now know Sharapova requested higher dosages of the drug to get an edge.

·
Registered
113,174 Posts
Sharapova is a career slam winner and won about 40 titles. The drug fail will always be there, but she was a phenom back in 2003 and stayed near the top for over a decade.
I would rank her about 5th best of this century so far, 2000-2019

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The problem is... It’s the meldonium that helped her become a great fighter/competitor.

Today, we should all be thinking about the players who were cheated, especially in slams where we now know Sharapova requested higher dosages of the drug to get an edge.
And there is still no scientific evidence that suggests meldonium offers a performance-related advantage.

·
Premium Member
38,248 Posts

And do you think of all the players who took meldonium, and other products, that weren't forbidden then and didn't make Pova's mistake after? Who was cheated and who wasn't? And how about all the matches Pova lost during her career? Was it due to meldonium too?

Nothing is that simple in the world of competition. Pova's win of Wimbledon in 2004 is enough to prove of what she could do. I'm sure the power of meldonium is overstated. It's not a magical potion that gives super powers. Pretty sure a lot of players could take that to no avail. It's certainly not fruitful to take it on the long run, so to speak.

·
Registered
11,196 Posts
And do you think of all the players who took meldonium, and other products, that weren't forbidden then and didn't make Pova's mistake after? Who was cheated and who wasn't? And how about all the matches Pova lost during her career? Was it due to meldonium too?

Nothing is that simple in the world of competition. Pova's win of Wimbledon in 2004 is enough to prove of what she could do. I'm sure the power of meldonium is overstated. It's not a magical potion that gives super powers. Pretty sure a lot of players could take that to no avail. It's certainly not fruitful to take it on the long run, so to speak.
Have you read the case files?

She specifically requested more meldonium pills for ‘matches of special importance’ in slams.

This suggests a malicious intent to gain an edge in the bigger matches, RG 2014 in particular.

Not sure how people can defend her, the drug was banned for a reason.

·
Registered
30,959 Posts

She specifically requested more pills for ‘matches of importance’ in slams.

This suggests a malicious intent to gain an edge in the bigger matches, RG 2014 in particular.

Not sure how people can defend her.
One of the things I remember most from Roland Garros 2014 was John McEnroe constantly wondering on air what her secret was (in terms of training… unless he knew something then haha) to manage those five grueling matches in a row.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I for one certainly appreciate that she's gone.
I cannot say the same. I would have appreciated if she would have played more matches this season.. 10-12 losses and maybe 1 win if she would have got the chance to play in R1 that famous player named "BYE". :)

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I still have to taste Sugarpova, it always escapes my mind to buy at airports. She did have good dresses, although she couldn't do anything about her? shoulders. Her hard work, intensity and quips were the best. Does she have any tour friends to invite to her wedding or baby-shower?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I've always appreciated her. She's one of the last of a genuinely great generation of WTA players. She's shown incredible dedication, professionalism, intensity and perseverance, especially during times it would have been easier to walk away. Her off court pursuits never seemed to stop her striving to be the best she could be on court. I wish some others could learn from that but tbh I don't know if it can be learned as such. Even though she's not a natural athlete she really got all she could out of her game and career. I'll miss her.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
One of the things I remember most from Roland Garros 2014 was John McEnroe constantly wondering on air what her secret was (in terms of training… unless he knew something then haha) to manage those five grueling matches in a row.
He also wonders about the Big3 and about the sisters. 1/3 of the ATP actually has inhuman endurance. If you watched tennis in the 80s you would understand, in the 5th set the match was played with half the intensity, today with double. Thank god players and coaches keep getting the updated lists on time.

·
Registered
37,567 Posts
Her mental fortitude alone makes her a Legend. She'll probably get inducted into the Hall of Fame as soon as she's eligible.

She specifically requested more pills for ‘matches of importance’ in slams.

Just like everyone takes more painkillers than normal for important matches, even though they are far more detrimental to one's health than meldonium. By the same (stupid) logic, if they ban painkillers it retroactively means all players who took them are cheaters.

·
Registered
17,707 Posts
Wait a minute: Has Maria not been appreciated? She's one of tennis' most popular figures—ever. She's one of sport's most highly paid. She has received tons of WCs since her return from the doping suspension. She's received a lot of appreciation.

Does she have detractors? Sure. But what player of her popularity doesn't?

·
Premium Member
38,248 Posts

She specifically requested more pills for ‘matches of special importance’ in slams.

And how to measure the psychological effect of that. Doesn't answer my points anyway. It's a matter of being fair, and I'm far from certain Sharapova deserves to be stigmatized. People can still put asterisks, the officials decided otherwise, probably for what I said above.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts