Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would think she's overrated. She may have won some tier I titles but in doing so she had no impressive win. She may have beaten Martina and Venus but both were totally off form then. I wonder why some people think she's so good. For me she's a solid top 20 player at her best, so when she loses to a top 20 player, I hardly call it an upset cuz that's legitmately where she belongs to.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Of course she is! I mean what player in the top 10 has a negative win/loss record for this year?????? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Well, in her career, not only has she beaten Martina and Venus, but she has also beaten Monica, Jennifer, Kim, Justine and Amelie - so she's shown that she can beat the top players (albeit, not as often as i would like).

I think she's a definite top 10 player...around the 8-10 range though. I do think she has the potential to be ranked higher than that though, and to improve to a player ranked in the 4-7 area IMO.

She's just had a bad start to this year, as it's hard for her to catch up to the other girls (especially at the beginning) when they have a whole month of match play on her.

She's starting to win more matches, and i think she has a REAL shot at her SF today against Amelie

I truly hope she can beat Amelie to show everyone that she is still a top player, and it would do her confidence the world of good!!

GO JELENA!!!

You still have MANY fans who believe in you!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Beating Amelie today wouldn't prove anything IMO, Amelie is playing the worst tennis she has in years and she had a tough 3-set match yesterday.
Still, I'm confident that Amelie will take this in 2 easy sets.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Yes I think shes overrated. Shes probably only hanging on to top ten because of all her tournaments, her bad results just get replaced.

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Glenn said:
Beating Amelie today wouldn't prove anything IMO, Amelie is playing the worst tennis she has in years and she had a tough 3-set match yesterday.
Still, I'm confident that Amelie will take this in 2 easy sets.

Apparently, the Amelie-Anna match was fantastic, and both were playing excellently...from everything people have said about this, it sounds to me like Amelie was playing pretty well. So, i would think a win over her would definitely indicate Jelena must be playing atleast ok. Regardless of how well Amelie is playing right now, she is a top 10 player and knows how to play very well.

Good Luck Jelena!!!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
4,007 Posts
Yeah, nice to see biggest Jelena “lovers” Glenn and Experimentee here. :wavey:

I will wait until more objective posters will post their opinion. ;)

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
how rated is jelena? i don't really know what people think of her but imo i think she can play the highest quality tennis for part of a match but can't keep it up but she also can lose to very low ranked players if she is in a slump. i think in the future she will be able to (or has the talent to) chalenge the top players on a regular basis but i don't take that into consideration when i'm talking about her because it isn't how she plays at the moment. at the moment i think she is ranked around where she should be although i think she is better than myskina, hantuchova and rubin (but her slump has caused her to drop). if she has a slump like this every year then she shouldn't be ranked as high as she is now more like in the 30's or 40's but if she doesn't have a long long slump every year then i think she is where she should be.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What does she do particular good? I don't see anything in her game that's prominent... I knwo she's a good solid baseliner but isn't powerful or accurate enough to give the top players fits.

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
CamilleVidann said:
What does she do particular good? I don't see anything in her game that's prominent... I knwo she's a good solid baseliner but isn't powerful or accurate enough to give the top players fits.
I don't know if you've seen jelena play all that often, but jelena smacks that ball extremely hard...a lot harder than some of the other top players...so IMO, she definitely has the power to pose problems for the other players, it's just her consistency and speed around the court that hold her back IMO.

·
Premium Member
16,400 Posts
She's beaten top players, she's won tier I titles, she's been in GS SF... You might dislike her, but she's definitely a top player.

Ok, she's had a bad season so far, but tell me someone who hasn't had a bad season.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Exactly my point.
OK, she has solid (although not THAT solid lately) groundstrokes but that's it...
Her serve sucks... she's not particularly good at the net, she's not nearly as fast as the sisters or the Belgians... seriously, what else is she good at?

And people who say she's better than Hantuchova need to check up on their H2H.
I don't like Hantuchova either, but it's clear that she has more weapons and is a bigger threat to the top players than Dokic is.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
martinafan said:
I don't know if you've seen jelena play all that often, but jelena smacks that ball extremely hard...a lot harder than some of the other top players...so IMO, she definitely has the power to pose problems for the other players, it's just her consistency and speed around the court that hold her back IMO.
Yea, she smacks it quite hard, but not harder than the real top players.
The Williams', Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Davenport, Capriati hit with the same power if not harder, plus they have other weapons to compliment that!
Dokic has nothing, just solid, medium paced groundstrokes.

Reactions: Flatstat

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Glenn said:
Exactly my point.
And people who say she's better than Hantuchova need to check up on their H2H.
I don't like Hantuchova either, but it's clear that she has more weapons and is a bigger threat to the top players than Dokic is.
Just because player A beats player B, doesn't mean player A is a better player overall - just that their games match up in player A's favour. So, i really do think using the head-to-head to make a point is wrong.

They're both slumping right now, so right now neither of them are really that big a threat to the top players...but jelena has beaten more top players actually...capriati, clijsters, dementieva, henin, hingis, mauresmo, myskina, pierce, seles, venus.....while daniela has only beaten dementieva, dokic, henin. hingis and mauresmo.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i've always thought that jelena hits the ball harder than kim and i think justine (although i'm not sure about justine). i haven't seen any of the three play much so could someone tell me if i'm wrong ot not?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
martinafan said:
Just because player A beats player B, doesn't mean player A is a better player overall - just that their games match up in player A's favour. So, i really do think using the head-to-head to make a point is wrong.

They're both slumping right now, so right now neither of them are really that big a threat to the top players...but jelena has beaten more top players actually...capriati, clijsters, dementieva, henin, hingis, mauresmo, myskina, pierce, seles, venus.....while daniela has only beaten dementieva, dokic, henin. hingis and mauresmo.
LOL! OMG!

So you'd rather compare 2 players' head to heads to other players to see who's best rather than using their head to head against eachother?
But what if for instance Venus Williams' game matches up in Dokic' favor and not in Hantuchova's? :confused:
You said so yourself: it's wrong to compare that.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Gowza said:
i've always thought that jelena hits the ball harder than kim and i think justine (although i'm not sure about justine). i haven't seen any of the three play much so could someone tell me if i'm wrong ot not?
I can't put an exact number on it, but they hit with the same power.
The only difference is Kim and Justine use more spin so it might seem as if they hit less hard.
Of course both Justine and Kim place their balls near the lines and with more accuracy, Dokic pounds away but lately all that evolves in is errors.
IF Dokic wants to be a top player using only power, she should at least hit as hard as the Williams' or Davenport, now she's like a medium powered player with no other weapons, like for instance Justine's backhand, speed, finesse and Kim's defence, forehand, serve etc.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts