Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
UNC beats Pepperdine 4-2 to win indoors again. They are very deep and healthy.

Impressive run by Pepperdine, though, playing indoors, which is foreign to them, and without #1 Stefani, who was playing Fed Cup for Brazil. They could easily be NCAA champs in May, if they keep this up.

Apparently both Elyse Lavender (current #1 for LSU) and Brooke Austin from Florida are no longer on their teams, and Arconada is still awaiting NCAA clearance, so why not play another $25K in Surprise this week, lol. Very curious as to what happened to Austin and Lavender...
I was super impressed to see Pepperdine make the finals (indoors no less) without Stefani. Definitely now a top contender for the NCAA's in May. They also played without Failla, the transfer from USC.

I wonder if Arconada will become eligible mid-way through the season and then play a handful of matches? So strange. It's pretty shocking that Austin is no longer with Florida. Hopefully more news comes out soon and all is well with her.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Pepperdine was my dark horse favorite to win NCAA's.
They've been recruiting strong these past few years and now they have the tennis whisperer as an assistant coach...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Card all the way! They will be tough to beat when Melissa Lord returns to the line up!

Is college tennis dead? I don't think so, but unfortunately this board has taken a downturn. :( I'm just as guilty as I haven't been participating in discussions like I should.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Card all the way! They will be tough to beat when Melissa Lord returns to the line up!

Is college tennis dead? I don't think so, but unfortunately this board has taken a downturn. :( I'm just as guilty as I haven't been participating in discussions like I should.
Right now, they're beatable!
Maybe it was the humidity, but Cards didn't put up a fight at Austin today.
I know Gordon had her hands full against #1 BiancaTurati, but she never seemed to be in the match.
I thought Lampl had Bianca's sister, Anna at #2, but Anna played the extra point waiting on Lampl to make an error.
Arbuthnott seemed flat in that 3rd set, down 4-0. Not what I expected, after winning the 2nd set.
Kimberly Yee...how could she be #1 at 16, 14, and 12's. She could use some time in the gym.
Can't wait for Lord to come back!
Janice Shin was the only bright spot today, love that winner on set point, 1st set.
Ouch her opponent rolled her ankle, luckily it was just her ankle, looked worse the way she reacted.
Higuchi needs to go back to #6 once Lord is back. I think Shin should be #5.
I am not completely sold on Gordon at #1. She's a #3 at best.
If Lampl can clean up her game, she can be a #2 and I would have Lord at #1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well the Gators dropped my Card again. Hard to win when you lose the first set in 5 of 6 singles matches.

Quick thoughts:

1 - Gordon held on to the win though Danilina was gaining momentum. Needs to crank up that serve though.
2 - Apparently Lampl was up 5-1 and lost the first set. Then she DF'd on match point. The positives? Her backhand is much better this season and her first serve has some pop to it. Definitely a fun match to watch.
3 - Nice win after dropping the first set.
4 - I guess I haven't been paying close attention bc this is the first match I noticed where Shin is 4 and Higuchi is 5. Shin is a good player and will only get better. Sort of reminds me of Ahn.
5 - Tough loss here. Higuchi has a hard time bc she can't match the power of her opponents.
6 - Happy Kim took it to 3 sets.

Not sure when the last time the Card lost all the backcourt matches. I think the players are getting good experience that will help them later in the season and when Mel comes back, watch out!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yep Shin deserves to be ahead of "the machine", who isn't playing to her nickname.
Lele switched after that comment I made...lol

Maybe another 5 loss season and underdogs in May!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Bank of the West will no longer be held at Stanford, which I think is a big blow to Stanford Tennis, as it allowed its players a wild card slot.

I just think the program is going downhill...
Stanford is ranked #40.
I don't ever recall Stanford being outside of the top 20...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Stanford is ranked #40.
I don't ever recall Stanford being outside of the top 20...
And they're going to have a tough time getting back into the top 16 to even host a regional...They don't have many highly ranked opponents on the schedule other than Pepperdine (Stanford will probably lose) and UCLA. Can't imagine the last time Stanford didn't host a regional.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
And they're going to have a tough time getting back into the top 16 to even host a regional...They don't have many highly ranked opponents on the schedule other than Pepperdine (Stanford will probably lose) and UCLA. Can't imagine the last time Stanford didn't host a regional.
Yeah, they will lose to Pepperdine for sure and most likely to UCLA.
That's using up their 5 loss maximum, for worst season.
If that happens, losing 3 out of 4 matches would be the 1st time in Stanford history.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, they will lose to Pepperdine for sure and most likely to UCLA.
That's using up their 5 loss maximum, for worst season.
If that happens, losing 3 out of 4 matches would be the 1st time in Stanford history.
Yikes. They really need Lord healthy and playing well back at the top of the lineup.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Doesn't seem like it w TC broadcasting another college match saturday. Probably bc not being able to show WTA matches, huge vacuum developed

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,835 Posts
Went to watch Cal against Pepperdine, and there is not much to report, as Pepperdine looks extremely strong from top to bottom and won doubles and five singles matches convincingly. They are going to be tough to beat outdoors, and you can already tell that Lauren Embree is a favorite amongst the players on the team.

The only interesting match was at #2, where Lahey looked to be cruising, winning the first set 6-0 and going up in the second as well. On deciding point, serving at 4-5, however, she played great, and then Julia Rosenqvist's stab lob landed right on the baseline, causing Lahey to instantly burst into tears. She calmed down during the changeover but was clearly in her own head after that, eventually calling a medical time out in the middle of the third set, despite no apparent injury, before losing the match 0-6 6-4 6-4. She was clearly the stronger player, but credit to Julia for fighting until the end to get a great win.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Went to watch Cal against Pepperdine, and there is not much to report, as Pepperdine looks extremely strong from top to bottom and won doubles and five singles matches convincingly. They are going to be tough to beat outdoors, and you can already tell that Lauren Embree is a favorite amongst the players on the team.

The only interesting match was at #2, where Lahey looked to be cruising, winning the first set 6-0 and going up in the second as well. On deciding point, serving at 4-5, however, she played great, and then Julia Rosenqvist's stab lob landed right on the baseline, causing Lahey to instantly burst into tears. She calmed down during the changeover but was clearly in her own head after that, eventually calling a medical time out in the middle of the third set, despite no apparent injury, before losing the match 0-6 6-4 6-4. She was clearly the stronger player, but credit to Julia for fighting until the end to get a great win.
I have to agree that Pepperdine has the talent and now the mental edge with the "Ice Princess" on their side. North Carolina always seem strong all season but they never have the edge at NCAA's that Stanford and Florida has. Vanderbilt is a close second to Pepperdine.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I was surprised to see Lahey lose that match especially after winning the first set so easily. She's still only 18 so I think she has a ways to go from a mental maturity standpoint.

On paper, it's really tough to see anyone beating Pepperdine in May. The only thing that could hurt them come tournament time is the fact that they only have probably 1 or 2 at most competitive matches coming up so they won't be as battle tested as some other teams.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Oracle/ITA Division I Women's Rankings
Top 50 National Team
Administered by the ITA
March 6, 2018
Rank Avg School Previous
1 87.84 North Carolina 1
2 70.55 Pepperdine 6
3 69.57 Duke 2
4 66.84 Vanderbilt 4
5 60.94 Georgia Tech 3
6 55.37 Illinois 5
7 52.90 Georgia 10
8 51.28 Northwestern 14
9 50.51 Texas Tech 8
10 50.08 Wake Forest 12
11 47.75 South Carolina 13
12 47.67 Ole Miss 7
13 46.11 UCLA 9
14 42.88 Texas 18
15 39.53 Kansas 20
16 39.08 Florida State 23
17 38.93 Kentucky 15
18 36.78 Auburn 16
19 35.63 Ohio State 11
20 34.42 Oklahoma State 19
21 32.53 Oregon 22
22 31.25 Florida 34
23 30.19 Wichita State 21
24 27.66 Virginia 24
25 27.52 UCF 36
26 25.69 Tulsa 41
27 25.47 Princeton 26
28 25.07 Tennessee 17
29 24.36 Nebraska 29
30 23.73 Syracuse NR
31 22.79 Kansas State 28
32 22.33 Arkansas 27
33 21.72 Washington 45
34 21.67 Arizona State 33
35 21.30 Texas A&M NR
36 20.50 LSU 43
37 19.33 Michigan 25
38 19.30 Baylor 47
39 19.29 Old Dominion 35
40 19.27 North Carolina State 39
41 18.35 Clemson 31
42 18.05 Miami NR
43 16.76 Florida International 38
44 16.71 Louisville NR
45 16.35 Virginia Tech 30
46 15.39 Stanford 40
47 15.06 USC 32
48 14.94 TCU 42
49 14.00 Alabama 37
50 12.32 Washington State NR

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow seeing Stanford at 46 is just shocking. I don't think it's possible for them to get into the top 16 with their schedule form here on out which means they could end up going to Pepperdine for the regional...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Going back to the name of this thread, "Is college tennis dead?" The answer is no, but it is dead on this board. Some of you might head over to the tenniswarehouse forum for more activity. There is only one thread there, as it is mostly dominated by the men's game. However, something is better than nothing.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts