Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get it. Everyone is talking about Maria Sharapova, and when Bud interviews her, he makes her name sound like some sort of coffee. :rolleyes: I can't remember a single time where he pronounced a last name right. Is everybody in the world pronouncing her name wrong or is he just mental? :confused:

·
Registered
574 Posts
hahah sha-rop-pova :D

I think it is just the way he reads the names.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
No, that's the ACTUAL pronunciation. The way most people say it is the Americanized pronunciation. You could at least find out before you try to clown someone and make yourself look like an ass.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
:worship: Knizzle. And since I hardly ever praise you that is high praise indeed. :lol:

Emphasis on the second syllable. Shah RAH po vah. At least so I am told. :)

·
Banned
723 Posts
maria was asked this on the BBC today...about the pronunciation of her name:)

·
Banned
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Knizzle said:
No, that's the ACTUAL pronunciation. The way most people say it is the Americanized pronunciation. You could at least find out before you try to clown someone and make yourself look like an ass.
:D and you need to read the post before you start ranting. I asked if he was mentally handicapped or if we were all saying the name wrong, because I usually hear it said the other way :rolleyes:

·
Banned
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blah!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Trust me, his pronunciation pa'Russkiy eta GOVNO!

..Joe

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
peachfuzz said:
hahah sha-rop-pova :D

I think it is just the way he reads the names.
BUD always does WIERD pronunciations with names..thats part of his UNIQUENESS..well..that and his FUNKDIFIED pants ;) :silly: :hatoff: :smoke:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Actually, I thought Bud is usually better with names than the other commentators. He's one of the few who bothers to pronounce Henin-Hardenne's name correctly and he pronounces Maria's name the Russian way.

The other commentators even mangle the Americanized pronunciation of Maria's name. She has gone with the Americanized version of sha-rah-POE-vah and so many insist on screwing up even that and call her shae-rah-POE-vah.

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
FraziersFan said:
BUD always does WIERD pronunciations with names..thats part of his UNIQUENESS..well..that and his FUNKDIFIED pants ;) :silly: :hatoff: :smoke:
Did anyone see BUDS pants today..they appeared to be RED pansies with birds flying around em.... :lol:

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
The ever-so-correct SBS (in Australia) pronounces it sha-RAH-poh-vah, so I assume that it is the strictly correct pronunciation. However, even the Wimby announcers call her sha-rah-POE-vah, so I guess that is acceptable to her.

·
Registered
113,584 Posts
Maria says sha-rah-POE-vah, which is the U.S. version. Exactly like Kournikova is said.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Again, as already mentioned in another post, most of the "OVA's" do not have their names correctly annunciated in the States. Then again, it's usually the same for Spanish and Italian names too.

Just the way it is, right or wrong.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
i thought it was sharaPOEva :eek:

·
Banned
263 Posts
Is Bud Collin's mentally handicapped or do most people pronounce Maria's name wrong?
Most people pronounce Maria's name wrong.

In fact all those OVA names sound cooler pronounced the correct.

sha-RAH-po-va
zvo-NAH-re-va
kour-NEEK-ova

·
Registered
453 Posts
Serena Nowitski said:
Most people pronounce Maria's name wrong.

In fact all those OVA names sound cooler pronounced the correct.

sha-RAH-po-va
zvo-NAH-re-va
kour-NEEK-ova
you're quite close to Maria's last name pronounciation (except for syllables ending with 'a', see below),
as for other girls mentioned, you are not, it's smth alike
zvo-nah-RYO-vah
KOO-r-nee-ko-vah,
and kindly note the last sound in syllables ending in 'a' in Russian is pronounced closer to '-ah' than to '-a',
e.g. shah-RAH-po-vah

1 - 20 of 25 Posts