Tennis Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
than being a lower ranked player or less talented. i guess it's more about talent than rank but more about fullfilling that potential than talent. in other words i'm not talking about rank or draw however those do come with being a top player.

i was in a thread a minute ago and someone said that mauresmo hasn't been able to get rhythm with her game because she has been out for a lot of the year. that got me thinking about the players that always lose round 1 and 2 in tournaments. if it takes time for a top player to get rhythm and they still haven't got it after reaching the semis of one event and going to the quarters in the next event (grand slam so it's a decent amount of matches) then how can these other players get rhythm. it must be an advantage for top players because they are going deep in most of the tournaments and being able to find that rhythm (but they earn it). but see why don't the fans of these other players complain that the reason their player didn't win is because they couldn't find their rhythm. playing one or 2 matches in each tournament must be extremely hard to find rhythm when the top players can't even do it when they go deep into tournaments. it's probably one reason why less players challenge the top players.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm not talking about you. some players always play the big events. i'm not saying anything against anyone i just thought it was an interesting topic.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
More importantly, when you are not a top 10 player, you are edge every single match you play. That has to be mentally draining. Someone like Kim can be relaxed against the vast majority of her opponents.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,691 Posts
...I thought all your posts were about me...sorry...just trying to answer your question...if a player wants to lose in the first round of big tournaments that's up to them...but they can't complain...can they... ? ...hhhmm...no... :)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
I guess players can get more ranking points out of slim pickings in top tournaments than if they played at a lower level and got into a rhythm of playing well. It's only in extreme cases that players will sacrifice the glamour, money and points of big tournaments to play some lower events and get their confidence back or fix their game.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
noones answering the question. 'is being a top player easier competitively?'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.