Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people think is Azarenka an Australian Open contender now that she's won the Sydney International? Or does Azarenka have a lot to prove before she can be considered a real threat for the title?

·
V-I-K-A
11,074 Posts
She was already a contender. It's the WTA... there are about 15 contenders. Vika has been a contender for every slam in the last couple of years. :shrug:

I'd say she's the 4th favorite behind Serena, Kvitova, and Wozniacki.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? Azarenka hasn't even reached a grand slam final so how is she a contender? I never understood the Azarenka hype? The girl just reached her first grand slam semifinal at Wimbledon last year that's it. I think Azarenka has the potential to win a slam but she's got to do more than just reach one slam semi.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
she is number three in the world, was in major semi before, played really well and the end of 2011, won one of two the biggest titles at the start of 2012, beaten three top ten players in a row in Sydney.
IMO everything depends not againstwo who, but when she will have to play at the start of the tourney, i mean 3-4 first rounds. if they will put her systemacticlly at 11am, or something like that, she may not be able to force this, it will minimalize her chances.
but overall, she is the contender.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I projected her to win the AO title this year in some thread or another about slams, and I'm definitely sticking to it. And I'm not even a fan of hers particularly. I think she has it in her when in form, and we've seen that she's in form right now.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I agree that Vika has a chance. Not as strong a favorite as Serena, Kim, or Petra.

·
Registered
47,534 Posts
Her stock's raising for sure.

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
the thing with vika is has she ever beaten anyone of note in a slam before? having a high ranking can get you by to qtrs or even semis without turning up any trees but eventually you have to play and beat the big names, as of yet vika hasn't managed to do that.

i'd put her behind serena, kim, kvitova and li as a favourite probably on par with caro.

Reactions: TIEFSEE

·
Registered
170,920 Posts
Just don't put her to play on day session, she will be fine.

·
Banned
11,141 Posts
:haha: @ the responses in this thread.

Kvitty, Kim, Serena and a a NonErrorNa can all pick her shitty to game to pieces.

Azarenka belongs with the 3 P's. She can win it I guess if somehow all of those manage to bomb out, but then it's questionable whether she can handle her other two soulmates.

Reactions: Haseo.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Azarenka is on par with wozniacki, meaning they can beat all the srcubs they want but eventaully they will meet someone who is playing better than them. Unless all the big guns bomb out before the semis, i don't think they have a chance at this slam. Serena, Kim, Li, and Petra are all bigger favorites. But Vika has a great chance with the draw she got.

·
Registered
11,505 Posts
:haha: @ the responses in this thread.

Kvitty, Kim, Serena and a a NonErrorNa can all pick her shitty to game to pieces.

Azarenka belongs with the 3 P's. She can win it I guess if somehow all of those manage to bomb out, but then it's questionable whether she can handle her other two soulmates.
hmmm...I wonder is it with tall loud belorussian blondes that makes you hate them so much:lol:

·
Banned
11,141 Posts
hmmm...I wonder is it with tall loud belorussian blondes that makes you hate them so much:lol:
I used to, still kinda like Azarenka's personality. But her game is too much. In a good world, she should be fighting to stay in the top 10.

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
No, I don't think so. Her brain will always stand between her and slam titles.

·
PharMaria Co. CFO
14,207 Posts
there is at least 3 player in every slam draw who are bigger favorite than her.
Although her cakewalk makes SF as given. And then everything can happen. :scared:

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All I have read is comments about Azarenka's hype she does well in the WTA events I'm not disputing that. But she underachieves at the slams. BUT she reminds me of Wozniacki she doesn't have a big serve, she doesn't have a lot of power I think. She needs to actually WIN. Enough with the excuses, Azarenka has a lot to prove just like Wozniacki to win a slam.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts