Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last yr by now, we've seen
Dinara making SF @ Estoril as WC
Myriam Casanova making F @ Budapest as Q

now, we've only seen Ashley Harkleroad,
so will it be easier this year to hand out the award?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
LOL...It is to early in the season to declare Ashley Harkleroad the most impressive newcomer. I give Ashley alot of credit for a semi-final showing at a tier 1, but one good result does not make a player "most impressive newcomer".
 

·
Adrenaline junkie
Joined
·
23,084 Posts
coolio3 said:
last yr by now, we've seen
Dinara making SF @ Estoril as WC
Myriam Casanova making F @ Budapest as Q

now, we've only seen Ashley Harkleroad,
so will it be easier this year to hand out the award?
Newcomer? Wait, didn't she play maindraw US Open like two years ago already?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,215 Posts
She's only had 1 good tournament :rolleyes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, one good defining moment............

it's not easy to do so okay?.....
and she is young, so i believe
she is gonna build on that

beating 3 TOP 20 players in a row
do not........and i cant stress enough,
DO NOT come by accident
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
i would say the newcomer is douchevina. harkleroad has been playing for a couple of years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,386 Posts
I think its way too early to be talking about "Newcomer of the Year"

I'm not sure what the criteria is but all nominees this year had matches played all the way back to 2000...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,386 Posts
very funny MMC :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,731 Posts
I think Vera Zvonereva, she has been more consistant then most of the above named players, and has actually challenged some of the top top runners like Clijsters and Williams.
 

·
Ferosh Warrior ♥
Joined
·
53,292 Posts
Newcomer.. i'm not sure.. cause she's been playing since last year... hmmm..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,119 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
I think Vera Zvonereva, she has been more consistant then most of the above named players, and has actually challenged some of the top top runners like Clijsters and Williams.
She did it last year.. Let's see what she has to show this year.. I'm sure she'll do something, but until now, nothing expressive
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
How about Stephanie Cohen-Aloro? She's already made the quarterfinal at Estoril, and has wins over Pistolesi, Panova, and Schett (although Schett's playing crap!)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,078 Posts
england_rules said:
How about Stephanie Cohen-Aloro? She's already made the quarterfinal at Estoril, and has wins over Pistolesi, Panova, and Schett (although Schett's playing crap!)
I'm sure she's been around too long to be counted as a Newcomer.

Tell me, does Ashley even fall into the Newcomer category? I'm amonst those that thinks she's been around too long for that.

What's the criteria for winning Newcomer of the year? How many matches can you play before the year in question until you no longer qualify?

And Vera Zvonareva qualified for the award last year, not this year.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
King Lindsay said:
I'm sure she's been around too long to be counted as a Newcomer.

Tell me, does Ashley even fall into the Newcomer category? I'm amonst those that thinks she's been around too long for that.

What's the criteria for winning Newcomer of the year? How many matches can you play before the year in question until you no longer qualify?

And Vera Zvonareva qualified for the award last year, not this year.
i'm wondering about that too,
coz Vera got WC to Moscow when she was 16 too......
so i think Ahsley is qualified to be nominated,
i guess when u 1st hit TOP 100.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
not many young players have moved into the top 100 this year. harkleroad is the youngest i think the only other player i can think of is cohen aloro but she might to to old i think she is 20 or 21. did bartoli first get into the top 100 this year? she could be up for it if she did. i'm hoping douchevina can get their and maybe sharapova. i think golovin is ready but she can't play enough tournaments so unless she has a big run at RG then she won't get near it.

certainly at the moment harkleroad is the best newcomer but she needs to back that up. i'm hoping it can be douchevina.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top