Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know she got a set off sugiyama but i really thought that she had a good shot at the semis in Rome and then she went and lost 2nd round. i'm not furious with her or anything mainly because she beat srebotnik who is pretty good on clay (or so it is said) and she is also the player that took safina out in the 1st round of the oz open but i've been waiting for her to get a good draw where she could make a breakthrough in a big tournament and she gets a great draw considering form. is anyone else dissapointed?

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
yeah I always thought, hey shes in the top 70 and shes 16, shes gonna be better than all the other ones

but now, more and more its like, ok when are you going to do anything?

she'll be fine though, I'm sure shes learning, lets just hope her mental strength doesnt come from marat :eek: :p

and BTW, I think this time next year Svetlana or Vera will be the head honchos on the russian side

the others seem to have hit a plateau

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Dinara's been like this all year though... she just can't pull out the wins against the higher ranked players.

They will come though... be patient, she's still a baby. :)

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,998 Posts
Of course I am.. But this doesn't seem to be Safins's year..

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I'm more wondering when Douchevina will get into the top, well anything

shes 6 months younger than Dinara, and while I know the Russians usually make their jump around this time, just waiting for her to do it

Hey, when is she supposed to play next anyway? I wonder

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
douchevina did pretty well in miami she just needs to play a bit more and she can't seem to find consistency even when she plays challengers she loses half way through the tournament.

i'm more worried aboout linetskaya, bastrikova and bratchikova especially the latter 2.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
They're pushing her to go too far too fast, IMO. Vera Douchevina and the Maria's (Sharky and Kirilenko) are around her age, about as good now, and doing stuff like Juniors & Challengers, I believe.

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
rd878 said:
They're pushing her to go too far too fast, IMO. Vera Douchevina and the Maria's (Sharky and Kirilenko) are around her age, about as good now, and doing stuff like Juniors & Challengers, I believe.
Yeah... but Dinara didn't play many WTA tourneys... and she won one right away.

You can't just throw her in challengers then.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rd878, it's funny youo said that because safina's mother in an interview awhile back said they actually held her back from the main tour so she wouldn't get to caught up i things or something.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Of course I'm disappointed that my little angel lost. She needs more experience and belief that she can and should win these matches. Hopefully she'll be able to develop mentally soon.

GOOD LUCK NARA!!! :angel:

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
Dinara just needs to learn to close out the tight ones..I'm beginning to think that all those close ones are getting to her...like in a bad way...she had a point to go up 5-4 in the third, missed it and came back and got broken at love

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
I'm disappointed but I've learned to be patient. She doesn't have the mental toughness to stick with her game plan and follow through. Eventually, as she matures, those things will come to her naturally and she'll be racking up titles. For now, we sit and wait and allow her these baby steps. She's miles ahead of the others cuz she already has a title. She just needs a really big one to make an even bigger statement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts