Tennis Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
King
28,667 Posts
I also feel Sharapova maybe isn't as much of a favourite with Wimbledon as she once was after years of patchy results and the ban.
This I agree with. The LTA showed open contempt about her during the ban, no?

Still, the 2004 F really was one of the most iconic of all time, and it should be recognized as much. It transcended the sport at the time, and it permeated into mainstream Western news like no other F has since.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Well, according to the BBC experts today the greatest female Wimbledon singles final of all time is Venus v Lindsay 2005. I got a shock - was it really 15 years ago! They showed the highlights, and what a match it was. I'd forgotten how well they both played. And it was clear Venus was better at the key monuments, more assertive and aggressive. But the shot making from both was amazing and would beat any other player today. Their tennis then hasn't aged. And a nice hug at the net at the end. People who only know Venus from the last few years need to watch the match - she is a shadow of a shadow of herself back then.

·
Art & Futures
20,460 Posts
This I agree with. The LTA showed open contempt about her during the ban, no?

Still, the 2004 F really was one of the most iconic of all time, and it should be recognized as much. It transcended the sport at the time, and it permeated into mainstream Western news like no other F has since.
:poop:

·
Registered
15,078 Posts
The Venus-Davenport 2005 final is on now... incredible hitting and thrilling match ♥

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
We do have a tendency to look back on matches with rose tinted glasses though. The quality of Venus vs Davenport was really nothing special until the end of the second set, and even then it remained patchy until around 4-4 final set. It’s the high quality, tense, final few games that everyone seems to remember. Earlier in the match the commentators were talking at length about how Venus is not playing well, especially compared to her semi final match vs Sharapova.

I was hoping they would replay the 2006 final as I remember that being a great match at the time and I would I have liked to see if it withstood the test of time.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
We do have a tendency to look back on matches with rose tinted glasses though. The quality of Venus vs Davenport was really nothing special until the end of the second set, and even then it remained patchy until around 4-4 final set. It’s the high quality, tense, final few games that everyone seems to remember. Earlier in the match the commentators were talking at length about how Venus is not playing well, especially compared to her semi final match vs Sharapova.

I was hoping they would replay the 2006 final as I remember that being a great match at the time and I would I have liked to see if it withstood the test of time.
Me too. As a massive Mauresmo fan I may be biased but I remember it as a great match. I'd love to see it again.

I was surprised with some of the matches that made the top 10 but it must be hard to narrow it down.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

This is true, but still what an incredible ending!

Davenport had a MP, was 2 points away from winning several times, even served for the match... but either she just couldn't put a shot away when it mattered the most or Venus stood up and slammed the door. I think it's also special because that kind of ball striking is rarely seen on tour nowadays, and for a few years people winning Wimbledon have mostly done so through their elite defensive skills rather than serving or hitting. There was a long rally late in the 3rd set that Venus pulled out a FH CC right on the line (I think at 5-6 15-30), and that kind of gutsy shotmaking gave me tingles, even if I already knew the result.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts