Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to dwell on Anna K. or bash her, because I like her and am sorry that she has never won a WTA tournament.

But it brings up a question, which has probably been asked and answered before -

Is Anna Kournikova the highest ranked female professional tennis player to never have won a WTA event? If not, who holds that honor?

Thanks.

·
Registered
932 Posts
omg...ANNA was ranked 8th, elena was only ranked 9th, HOW the hell can Alonya hold the record if Anna had a higher ranking than her?!?

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I thought Alyona got to number 8?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well - so far we are in agreement that Anna K. is the highest ranked player (#8) never to win a WTA singles title. Apparently Elena Dementieva (#9) is challenging Anna for that record! I've seen Elena play a few times and would be very, very surprised if she never wins a title.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Elena has now won a title, but got to No. 9 without winning a title.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Graf actually holds the record for being ranked highest without a title before she won many titles :)

but i guess anna holds that title right now.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Shooter said:
Well - so far we are in agreement that Anna K. is the highest ranked player (#8) never to win a WTA singles title. Apparently Elena Dementieva (#9) is challenging Anna for that record! I've seen Elena play a few times and would be very, very surprised if she never wins a title.
She got one this year at Amelia Island beating both Justine and Lindsay on her way.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Philip said:
Graf actually holds the record for being ranked highest without a title before she won many titles :)

but i guess anna holds that title right now.
really? wow, what was her rank?

·
Registered
17,731 Posts

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
No sorry I thought you were talking about Elena!

Also Hingis took a while to win a title, I know her first was Fillderstadt.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Graf won her first title 1986-04-07. She won the Hilton Head tournemant in South Carolina. But I don't know what her ranking was then.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
there was a similar thread here about 2 years ago - most likely on the old board, and i think i remember someone saying graf being #6, but im sure someone will find out ;)

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
At the end of 1985 Graf was ranked number 6. But maybe she was even higher the time she won her first title (7 april 1986).

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
and thats pretty remarkable not to win a title and reach number 6! well done steffi ;)

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
Interesting topic.
I think Anna K is the highest ranked without a tournament win at number 8.

When will she play next? :rolleyes: :sad:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts