Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TIU Media Release | Tennis Integrity Unit

RUSSIA’S IRINA KHROMACHEVA SUSPENDED FOR ‘TECHNICAL’ BREACH OF THE TENNIS ANTI-CORRUPTION PROGRAM

24-year old player ranked 274 WTA singles will serve a one month suspension after being found to have attempted to contrive the outcome of a qualifying match

at the 2019 BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells

Russian tennis player Irina Khromacheva has been suspended for three months and fined $3,000 after being found guilty of attempting to contrive the outcome of a first round qualifying match at the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells in March this year.

Two months of the ban and all of the $3,000 fine are suspended on the basis that no further breaches of the Tennis Anti-Corruption Program are committed by the player. She will therefore serve a one month suspension, effective from 19 September 2019.

The case against Ms Khromacheva was based on a Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) investigation and considered at a disciplinary Hearing held in London on 9 September 2019.

Independent Anti-Corruption Hearing Officer Prof Richard H McLaren found that Ms Khromacheva had offered another player the opportunity to take her place in first round qualifying, in exchange for being paid the equivalent of the prize money she would have received if she had played the match.

The disciplinary decision from Prof McLaren found that the offence was ‘more of a technical violation of the Program than a significant or substantive breach’ and that it was at the ‘lowest end of the scale’.

As a result, Ms Khromacheva is prohibited from competing in, or attending, any sanctioned event organised or recognised by the governing bodies of the sport for the duration of the one month suspension. Assuming no further offences take place during that period, she will be eligible to resume playing tennis from 18 October 2019.

The 24-year old is currently ranked 274 in WTA singles and has a career-best ranking of 89 in February 2017. As a doubles player she is ranked 108 with a highest ranking of 41 in April 2019.

The breach of the Tennis Anti-Corruption Program she was found to have committed is the offence relating to contriving the outcome of a match, namely:

Section D.1.d: "No Covered Person shall, directly or indirectly, contrive or attempt to contrive the outcome or any other aspect of any Event."

The Tennis Integrity Unit is an initiative of the Grand Slam Board, the International Tennis Federation, the ATP and the WTA, who are jointly committed to a zero tolerance approach to corruption in tennis.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
From tennis prodigy to a cheater?

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Who was next in to the Q draw?

Someone went to the TIU.:eek:h:

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
This part is more specific
According to the press release, Khromacheva “had offered another player the opportunity to take her place in first round qualifying, in exchange for being paid the equivalent of the prize money she would have received if she had played the match.”

That amount, assuming a loss, was $3,395 US.

(You probably wouldn’t be shocked to hear that this sort of thing happens fairly regularly, on both tour, in singles and doubles. But this is the first time a player has been found guilty of it).

The offence was considered “more of a technical violation of the Program than a significant or substantive breach” and was judged to be at the “lowest end of the scale”.

Khromacheva can resume playing Oct. 18, assuming she’s healthy and ready again.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Any investigation on Svitolina saying after losing to Serena at US Open SF that she already had her flight to China booked? (Said it at post match press conference.)

Reactions: Perun

·
🐟🐟
4,912 Posts
This part is more specific
"But this is the first time a player has been found guilty of it"

Not true.

TIU Media Release | Tennis Integrity Unit

https://www.welovetennis.fr/atp/lettre-ouverte-delie-rousset

"A player from the main draw came to see me 1 / 2h before the start of his match, telling me that he was sick, and asking me if I agreed to give him the prize money of the loser of the first round (a sum exact of 352) in which case he retired from the painting and I took his place. This is a common practice."

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Khromy is still in process of healing mononucleosis and have been out of competing for more than 6 months. So this punishment will not effect her whatsoever. Everybody does mistakes and tennis world is very cruel, especially if you're not top 100. However, I hope this will be good lesson for her. :)

·
Banned
32,000 Posts
Oh no :sad: she has mono?

As for this thread, I suspect all the racist anti-Russian posts will be deleted by the mods, right? :shrug:

Reactions: Pancha

·
Premium Member
66,184 Posts
I’m glad the punishment is barely serious and I’m sure these kind of agreements happen all the time, but the thing that sucks is how much hate she’ll get since some people are so obsessed with labelling everybody as cheaters. :lol:

Sadly, yes. She won't be able to compete at least till April, so she froze her ranking.
She was given permission to freeze her ranking because she hasn’t competed since April. She is planning on coming back sooner.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I’m glad the punishment is barely serious and I’m sure these kind of agreements happen all the time, but the thing that sucks is how much hate she’ll get since some people are so obsessed with labelling everybody as cheaters. :lol:

She was given permission to freeze her ranking because she hasn’t competed since April. She is planning on coming back sooner.
My bad, I misread her massage. I am glad she will be back sooner. I hope she will be ready to rock 125k Mumbai in the end of the season again, where she reached final last season. :cheer:

·
Registered
13,282 Posts
Re: Russia’s irina khromacheva suspended for ‘technical’ breach of the tennis anti-co

Russia :facepalm:
Russia is a state of mind. It's a very corrupted country too.

Reactions: vogus_emeritus

·
Registered
13,282 Posts
Any investigation on Svitolina saying after losing to Serena at US Open SF that she already had her flight to China booked? (Said it at post match press conference.)
Maybe Elina simply has a loser mentality and did not believe in her victory there. Just in case she would have won somehow or her opponent gave WO / retired she can always rebook her tickets,

1 - 20 of 54 Posts