Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Limited Times

New hall plans for Munich - city wants mega tennis tournament from Ion Țiriac

The background is apparently that Ion Țiriac, ex-manager of Boris Becker, would like to relocate the tennis tournament Madrid Masters to Munich.

Madrid is by far the best Masters tournament.

Germany should actually be a country in which a very big tournament takes place.

"For me, Munich with the Olympic Park would be the perfect location."

Țiriac said in the interview that it would be exciting when “some of the big companies from Munich would get together and push a tennis tournament together. “A Wimbledon could take place in Munich in nine months.” The big question is whether the political will is there.

·
Registered
38,757 Posts
Why is he still alive

·
Genie Bouchard of TF
109,098 Posts
Madrid just renewed with ATP and will built a new court

So what is this about?

·
Registered
38,757 Posts
Madrid just renewed with ATP and will built a new court

So what is this about?
Omg yes, a chance to undo that monstrosity :love:

Edit: oh, an additional stadium :( I thought La Caja Mágica was the ugly main stadium but I guess it's the overall complex

• Haha
Reactions: Perun

·
Madrid the best Masters tournament? I genuinely think it's the worst. I can't think of one that sucks more? My heart sank when I read the news they were extending it to 2 weeks.

Also considering how the grass courts in Halle and Bad Hamburg are actually real grass courts and not the current monstrosity we see in England I would definitely support another grass court tournament in Germany.

·
Registered
36,527 Posts
I feel like this is probably more of an ATP topic? Madrid is going nowhere though since they just extended the contract, as others pointed out. But they were rumours that the ATP was considering a Masters on grass. We will see if the WTA is involved in these plans but I currently doubt it (not that Tiriac's plans here are that concrete anyway).

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Dementia?

• Haha
Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I
The Limited Times

New hall plans for Munich - city wants mega tennis tournament from Ion Țiriac

The background is apparently that Ion Țiriac, ex-manager of Boris Becker, would like to relocate the tennis tournament Madrid Masters to Munich.

Madrid is by far the best Masters tournament.

Germany should actually be a country in which a very big tournament takes place.

"For me, Munich with the Olympic Park would be the perfect location."

Țiriac said in the interview that it would be exciting when “some of the big companies from Munich would get together and push a tennis tournament together. “A Wimbledon could take place in Munich in nine months.” The big question is whether the political will is there.

I literally spat out my drink when I read that you mentioned that Madrid is the best Masters tournament, lol.

Reactions: saihimesh

·
Registered
90,455 Posts
I feel like this is probably more of an ATP topic? Madrid is going nowhere though since they just extended the contract, as others pointed out. But they were rumours that the ATP was considering a Masters on grass. We will see if the WTA is involved in these plans but I currently doubt it (not that Tiriac's plans here are that concrete anyway).
This. Tiriac never cares about WTA. And it looks like he is - in german we would say - a little " dement".

·
Registered
561 Posts
Madrid the best Masters tournament? I genuinely think it's the worst. I can't think of one that sucks more? My heart sank when I read the news they were extending it to 2 weeks.

Also considering how the grass courts in Halle and Bad Hamburg are actually real grass courts and not the current monstrosity we see in England I would definitely support another grass court tournament in Germany.
Have you ever watched halle? The grass quality is awful there, it's because it's not a tennis stadium and the grass is pre rolled a few weeks before . Munich stadium would have the exact same problem, unless they're building an entirely new stadium.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts