Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ranking of french athlets which earned the more money is out and Mary talks about it....

" All that I gained is a blessing "
Ranking number 20 of the top 50, the Frenchwoman is a double abnormality: she is farahead in the top 50 which is mostly "male athlets list"...without any sponsor!

What represents for you to be in the top 20 of this incomes?

Mary
I am especially amazed because as I have no particular contract, any sponsor, so all money that I earned was only in tournament. That means that I did not play badly !

last year, you were finalist to RG, the USO and the Masters, and you won at San Diego and Moscow. We are surprise that you don't have sponsor?

Mary
To have contract just to earn some money do not interest me. I negotiate only with those I really want to be. But I had offers that I estimated not to be in touch with what I could represent and with my real level. It is true that it is surprising to hear a brand as Yonex saying that they are not interested, or to see that what they proposes does not really correspond to what I am worth. Maybe it's my age (31 years), the fact that I am at the end of career … People think that I am finished, they do not recognize me any more, any potential, they do not believe any more in me. I can understand it. But I shall not sign anything with what believe that!

Which structure did you organize to administer your earnings?

Mary
As I pay my taxes in the United States, this structure is installed over there, with a accountant and a financial councillor. I have a company by whom passes all my money and which administers business, hotel, plane, staff and I look at it every month because it is necessary to be responsible! It is true that there are many expenses in a sport as tennis, but there is an American expression which says that it is not necessary to set of shortcut to lead his career. It is always necessary to look for the best material, for the best staff. Obviously, that has a cost.

You do not pay your taxes in France …

Mary
But 57 % as tax rate, it is ridiculous! At the moment, I thought about the fact of settling down in countries as Switzerland where you does not pay tax. But it was necessary to live a certain number of days over there, to have a local phone number, etc. And I did not want to think of that or to cheat by pretending to live in there. It was more simple and more clear to have a place of residence in the United States, where it's only 32 in 36 % of the income.

It is so in the United States that you realize your investments?

Mary
Yes. It is with my councillor that we sees if it is necessary to be careful or aggressive.

And in this domain, you are as on a court: offensive?

Mary
Not really! I take only a quite small few risks. The main thing of my investments goes to the real property. I have just bought a house next to Bradenton (Florida) where I train when I am in the United States. And I have also an apartment in the Bollettieri camp.

We knew that you were looking for an appartment in Paris ?...

Mary
I finally found it at about in 5 minutes of Roland-Garros. But I rent.

With your double culture, American - French, how do you behave with the money?

Mary
Before, I hated to speak about it. Now, I am more freed, I see things differently. All that I earned is a blessing which allows me to bless the other people! I help according to my heart. It is who guides me. I help friend, the family, the Church, the orphans.

Do you please yourself also ?

Mary
I am not of the kind of lavish. I am not a girl who does shopping all the time I do not need many things. For me, there is the necessities and the rest. Moreover, my Boulogne's apartment is very simple. To say to you, there is always no sofa!

In tennis, the two French the best paid in 2005 are Amelie Mauresmo and you, very far in front of Richard Gasquet. You are a part of those who militate for the total equality of earnings among the players?

Mary
There is many of it who wants to win as much as men. For me, it is not an important subject. On one side, it is good that there is a certain equality man - woman. Of the other one, it seems to me normal that a man earn more money than a woman in tennis. You see, I am not feminist

You remember your biggest earning?

Mary
I imagine that is what i earned for my victories at RG in 2000 (610 000 euros for the simple, 106 000 euros for the double with Martina Hingis).
The feeling that I had when I received the check? Very bizarre! Ouaahh! To earn so much money at the same time...

·
Registered
32,041 Posts
Thank you so much Saby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to France, do you understand why Momo, Clément, Gasquet, Grosjean left France...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
thankssssss

·
Registered
435 Posts
Will Locast sponser Mary?

·
Registered
32,041 Posts
I think that right now mary is not to fussed abotu not having a sponsor. But it would be great to see her have one.

Mark

Lu_Weird said:
Will Locast sponser Mary?

·
Banned
1,931 Posts
I adore her simplicity of heart. Mary continues to amaze, no matter her endeavor.
Thanks for the translation, as usual you are ahead of the curve. I appreciate it a lot.

Go, Mary Caroline, go!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts