Tennis Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
31,115 Posts

Fans don't want to attend matches until a vaccine is found, most will be cash-strapped and companies can't really buy VIP sections or sponsor tournaments when they just laid off thousands of people as it isn't exactly a good look.

The players will be lucky if they can keep the current prize money and the six figures appearance fees will be rare.

Air travel will 100% be sacrificed if it means everything else can reopen.

·
Registered
113,373 Posts
The fans are not the issue now. Its about the sports with big tv contracts, like Premier League, baseball, basketball
We have to see how they come back and if the public watches it with no crowds
I have no doubt a big event that has about 50 courts can play a tournament maybe with 64 players
But we have to see the big sports get back first.
Trump told the NFL commissioner that he expects the NFL with crowds by September. I dont expect crowds but they are going to try hard to play
Tennis is much easier. There is a lot of space and you only need 2 or 3 cameras spread out in the empty stands, and a high chair about 4 meters from the court. And 2 players
Its just the great unknown until some sports try to come back. Its all speculation

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I am thinking the 2 majors and China. They can afford to have them with no spectators.
Ellison and Ross are billionaires and own IW & Miami
So the biggest events could happen if the owners want them. Under social distancing and they need some other sports to start first to show people its okay to have sports
No way they can play US Open. And yes the USTA can do nothing about it. To open up the USTA Billy Jean Tennis Center it's up to the Authorities like Mayor Bill De Blasio not Trump..

·
Registered
113,373 Posts
Its so far away, that I'm not sure what will happen. If the tv contract for the US Open is huge and other sports are going by August, I think USTA will try to play it somewhere

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Countries will impose 14 day entry quarantines. It is difficult to have a globetrotting sport with these conditions.

Every country in the world will have something like this within the next few months. Governments will bail out the hotel industry by leasing whole floors of airport hotels to quarantine international arrivals,

Once in place, these measures will not be lifted easily. The first Government of a country that lifts mandatory 14-day quarantine for foreigners entering the country thus causing a second wave of outbreaks is a Government asking to be sent into early retirement.

·
Registered
113,373 Posts
The 2 week quarantine makes sense. Some sports are happening. There is horse racing in Australia. Harness racing in Sweden.
It will be hard to get a full global field. But to have an event you only need the local players and a few stars coming in.
WWE is not sports, but they are still taping shows in the US even though there was a positive for the virus.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The 2 week quarantine makes sense. Some sports are happening. There is horse racing in Australia. Harness racing in Sweden.
Don't know about Sweden, but the racing in Australia is without spectators and under VERY strict conditions. There's also horse racing all over the USA.

It will be hard to get a full global field. But to have an event you only need the local players and a few stars coming in.
WWE is not sports, but they are still taping shows in the US even though there was a positive for the virus.
That is utterly insane.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Its so far away, that I'm not sure what will happen. If the tv contract for the US Open is huge and other sports are going by August, I think USTA will try to play it somewhere
No way, the US Open are DEAD for this year. NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio said that he may prohibit large gatherings in the Summer.

It will be like I said a week ago I think that the ATP/WTA Tours will possibly restart with a Clay Schedule culminating with Roland Garros from Sept. 20th to Oct. 4th given that it was just announced that the TdF will take place August 29 to September 20.

·
Registered
113,373 Posts
All these tournaments have a lot of options. I just heard a podcast with the guy who runs the event in US, Washington DC
He says they are looking at no fans, limited fans, no tournament. They prepare for different possiibilities. All of those events are doing that
Its just too early now to know what NBA, Premier League, NFL will do when they return, and tennis will see what the reaction is from politicians and public.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
All these tournaments have a lot of options. I just heard a podcast with the guy who runs the event in US, Washington DC
He says they are looking at no fans, limited fans, no tournament. They prepare for different possiibilities. All of those events are doing that
Its just too early now to know what NBA, Premier League, NFL will do when they return, and tennis will see what the reaction is from politicians and public.
I totally disagree with you here. The USA and North America in General are 2-3 MONTHS behind Europe when it comes to containing the COVID-19. Trump and Trudeau announced the Social Distancing Measures waaaay too late so USA & Canada will likely be the last two Countries who will come out of the COVID-19 Restrictions.
Rogers Cup in Montreal is already cancelled, which is the 2nd biggest Tournament in the lead up to the US Open after Cincinnati. What you are saying is totally off the boil and unreasonable - Period.

·
Registered
113,373 Posts
I would agree if we were not discussing the financial incentives along with safety
WWE is still going on in US, even after one of the people there tested positive for the virus

·
Registered
252 Posts
I totally disagree with you here. The USA and North America in General are 2-3 MONTHS behind Europe when it comes to containing the COVID-19. Trump and Trudeau announced the Social Distancing Measures waaaay too late so USA & Canada will likely be the last two Countries who will come out of the COVID-19 Restrictions.
Rogers Cup in Montreal is already cancelled, which is the 2nd biggest Tournament in the lead up to the US Open after Cincinnati. What you are saying is totally off the boil and unreasonable - Period.
Goldenlox isn't being unreasonable at all. Goldenlox is closer to be correct than you. There are already plans being made behind the scenes for playing the US Open this year. If I had to guess I would say the chances are higher that the US Open will be played this year than it won't be played. Now that doesn't mean the US Open will happen in New York in August(although I'm not ready to completely rule that out either). It could mean the US Open is played in Nov/Dec in IW(or elsewhere). The US Open will do everything in its power(as it should) to ensure the tournament is played this year.

And of course this assumes no or limited fans. If the WWE can go on so can tennis despite tennis obviously unique challenges(mainly it's a global sport). As Goldenlox has said MLB & the NBA are going to try to start up real soon. Tennis will monitor how that plays out to decide how to move forward.

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
Any Slam played in front of no one after a six months break will be asterisked. I mean, is it really the US Open if you win it in front of 10 cameramen in Indian Wells?

·
Registered
21,893 Posts
New York's rate of hospitalizations is nearly flat. There was only a 1% increase (+200 people in the state) between Wednesday and today. If this continues, the number of people in hospitals will decline and deaths will surely follow - a sign that the apex is over. Also, I forgot to respond to your other post to me but it was thoughtful, thank you. New Yorkers are lucky to have Cuomo and an incredible medical system. I truly feel safe here, even though I hear sirens wailing outside my window every 10 minutes. I think my family is more worried about me than I am.

However, I don't know what life in NYC will be like after this first wave. I think we're all aware that another explosion could happen at any moment due to our density. I don't think we'll let our guard down. I also don't think big events will happen anytime soon. I predict periods of shelter-at-home advisories based on hospital capacity until there's a vaccine or cure.
Well, the curve has started to flatten according to Cuomo, but de Blasio has said it may not be possible to have large events/gathering from May to August, so no telling when the first wave will really be over at the moment.

·
Registered
35,772 Posts
And of course this assumes no or limited fans. If the WWE can go on so can tennis despite tennis obviously unique challenges(mainly it's a global sport).
I get the point that you're trying to make, but the WWE (specifically Vince & Linda McMahon) basically bribed Trump with $18.5 million so that the company could be deemed an "essential business" in Florida and tape shows, despite the stay-at-home order there. There is no way that the USTA, despite their many flaws, would ever consider doing something like that.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Well, the curve has started to flatten according to Cuomo, but de Blasio has said it may not be possible to have large events/gathering from May to August, so no telling when the first wave will really be over at the moment.
How can he say that "the curve has started to flatten?" On a logarithmic scale perhaps, but not in actual numbers. Possibly in New York, although that seems unlikely, but yesterday saw over 30,000 new confirmed cases in the USA and the highest tally of deaths ever in one day (just under 2500).

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
How can he say that "the curve has started to flatten?" On a logarithmic scale perhaps, but not in actual numbers. Possibly in New York, although that seems unlikely, but yesterday saw over 30,000 new confirmed cases in the USA and the highest tally of deaths ever in one day (just under 2500).
They adjusted their stats to include deaths likely caused by covid-19 but without a test so there's not actually an increase in deaths.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts