Tennis Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18,712 Posts
We probably wouldn't get 8 players that way, cause so far we've played 8 such events, but four of those were won by people who are currently inside top8 (and another one by a player very close to top8:)), and there's only 3 IS tournaments to go so...
If there will not be enough players then there should play the best ranked players without an international title who not play YEC.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I do agree with what Helena is saying in parts, and regarding rule D, I was thinking if it is still possible to do race points of IS events only and the top 8 players qualify (or more as this way it would be possible), that way you have the people in Bali who have performed the best in IS events. I'm not sure whether I like the idea of if the winner and runner up of an IS event play Doha then the third person gets a shot, because this person might have only played one tournament and ranked around 50 in the world. I'm just not sure about that one, as there would be more *dedicated* players who deserve it. However, I definately agree with rule 2. If you play Doha you cannot play Bali.

·
Registered
18,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
and regarding rule D, I was thinking if it is still possible to do race points of IS events only and the top 8 players qualify (or more as this way it would be possible), that way you have the people in Bali who have performed the best in IS events.
That's basically what I suggested under "option d" - those who have earned the most points on IS events + winners of IS events that haven't qualified for Doha. As to how many players to have in Bali, we might have 8 as that many will play the actual tournament, or we might have 11, like one player representing each IS event that we've played (I'm fine with either, or if there's another idea...).

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
oooooo i like 11, each one representing an IS. Yes I like that a lot. I agree with this rule, one of the fairest ways to do it.

·
Registered
18,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
SUMMARY OF THE IDEAS SO FAR:

- generally, we all agree that if a player qualifies for Doha, he/she shouldn't be allowed to play Bali, so unless someone shows up to object this, consider this to be settled.

- Sasja: only winners of IS events that finish the year outside of top8 qualify; if a winner of an IS qualifies for Doha, his runner-up takes his place
- Tales: same as Sasja, but also: if a player that plays Bali won 2 events, no runner-up qualifies instead of him
- SamR03A: only and exclusively winnners of IS events qualify for Bali (except those who play Doha), regardless of anything
- ma re, WhoAmI?, elle-marie, Gemeos, no-hay-igual, ronim1: winners of IS events who don't play Doha get to qualify, other spots are fulfilled with the players who earned the most points playing IS events
- tennisfan_77: 8 best ranked winners of IS events who don't play Doha get to qualify; if there's not enough of them, those best ranked without an IS title get to play.

Just wanted to sum up everything that was suggested so far. Looks like one of the ideas is so far favored by the most players, and if it stays like that I'll soon post "Road to Bali", where we'll have weekly updates of potential qualifiers.

·
Registered
18,712 Posts
d) is also ok for me! :)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I find it hard to udnerstand all of this:(

But fo rme, I know we have the rankings for how we've all scored over the year, I'd have thought that top 8 play Doha and next 8 play Bali, regardless of who won IS series. Some people may only have played a few times all year and get in to Bali, whilst others who have played every week miss out because someone happened to have won a particular tournament.

Hope that makes some kind of sense:)

·
Registered
18,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
^^ That's a good argument Ink, but winning an IS event is crucial for qualifying for this tournament even in real tennis. As it's stated on the WTA site: "Eight players who have captured at least one International tournament during the year and who are not participating in singles at the year-end Sony Ericsson Championships - Doha 2010 will qualify for the event.".
Anyway, it will most likely be a system where those who have earned the most points on IS events get to qualify (sort of like a race) alongside the IS winners, so it's unlikely that many of the top16 will miss out (and we'll let 11 players in instead of 8 so...). And there's still three IS tournaments left to be played so a lot of opportunities to get in.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
That's grand, just wanted to put my thoughts forward, seeing as you put so much effort into running all of this:)

·
Registered
18,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
After much thought and discussions I think I have figured out a good point distribution system for Bali:

- we guess not only the winner of the match, but also the score of the match in sets (example, 2:1 for Jankovic, 2:0 for Petrova...)
- in the quarterfinal matches; getting both, the winner and the score right, gets you 5 points, getting just the winner right but not the score 4 points, and not getting either the winner nor the score, 3 points
- in the semifinals; winner+score 6 points, just the winner 5 points, neither of the two, 4 points
- in the finals; winner+score 7 points, just the winner 6 points, neither of the two, 5 points
- we also guess the number of games in the finals, like we usually do, to use as a tie-breaker (example: 2:0 for Dementieva, 19 games)
- bonus points are as follows...180 for the winner (more than for IS, less than for Premier), 150 for the runner-up, 120 for 3rd and 4th, 75 for 5th to 8th place and 25 for those ranked between 9th and 11th.

Now to explain a few things. There will be only 7 matches played in Bali, so using our standard system would get us some problems. For instance, if some players don't get bonus points in Bali, there's a risk that those players will (for example, for finishing 9th) get less points in Bali than for finishing at the same place in some ordinary IS event like Brisbane or Tashkent (because there's less matches to play). That's why I wanted to make sure that players don't "go home" with less points than they would get for the same finish on one of the tournaments we played leading up to Bali, cause after all this is kind of an exclusive event for which you have to qualify by being great during the whole year, so it's only fair to reward that. So with this system, no one will end up with less than 50 points (25 for picks and 25 bonus points), even if they don't get anything right and finish last, but also there's no chance that someone wins more than 219 (39 for picks, 180 bonus) points, which is between what we get in IS/Premier 5 events and Premier Mandatory events with large draws.

Also, because we will be guessing the number of sets in all those matches, there's a lesser chance of ties, cause there are 4 possibilities (player A in 2, player B in 2, player A in 3 or player B in 3) to choose from for every match instead of two.

If no one objects, I'd like to make this official.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
I was just about to ask why reward points to the one that got no correct picks, but you explained it. No objections:)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I'm too tired/lazy to understand it all but I guess it is ok. Since this is the first time it's impossible to know what works best right now, so we should review after the tournament. Same with Doha.

Just one thing, why give points for guessing wrong?

·
Registered
18,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just one thing, why give points for guessing wrong?
Because there's so little matches to be played here, and because this is one of those tournaments for which you work all year to qualify, so as a reward there's this "guarantee" that you'll at least earn some points here.

·
Registered
18,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Tales and I were just writing eachother about points for Doha and Bali and he noticed (which I haven't) that I made some mistakes in my suggestion for this point distribution system, like giving more bonus points than what we get for winning a Premier series event, which is really too much for this tournament. So here are some changes...:

1. Five, seven and ten points for QF matches.
2. Seven, ten and twelve points for SF matches.
3. Ten, twelve and fifteen points for the finals.
4. Bonus points, 140 for the winner, 100 for the runner-up, 70 for 3rd & 4th and 50 for 5th to 8th.

No bonus points for 9th to 11th, but because of more points given for tipping matches that's not really a problem now, cause no player can win less than 44 points. The largest number of points one can win stays at previously mentioned 219.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts