Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Venus has now played 15 events, Jennifer 16 over the last year. Considering that two of Jennifer's are 1 point events from first match losses there actually isn't that much between them!?! I'm a Jennifer fan but I am actually quite surprised by that statistic. I would have thought Venus would be streets ahead, she always seems so dominant, yet Jennifer is right up there with her :)

Congrats to Venus on the #1 ranking by the way - well deserved :)

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Jenn is a more constant player than Venus is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great stats! That just validates that this battle for #1 is so neck-in-neck.

I'm in the unusal position of being fans of Martina, Venus and Jen. I guess I really admire people who succeed so well. My absolute favorite is still Jen-- she's such a champ in my eyes. But I find the race for #1 this year so compelling. Can't wait to find out what happens next!

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Jenn has won 3 of the last 5 GS titles. You shouldn't be surprised. :)

Venus and Jenn have split the last seven GS titles. They are the last two #1's. And they have about 1000 more ranking points than anyone else on the tour. The only reason one of them isn't dominating the tour is the other one.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Well said Volcano....

But together... they are dominating the tour :D

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I agree with Volcana. I would also add that Jennifer has also benefited from the new "inflated" points for winning the AO this year. Venus' has no inflated Grand Slam ponts in her total (at least not yet;))

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Who else is salivating for a really tough final in '02 between these two??? I can't wait!! :D :) :D :D

setting my VCR already ...;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Me too!!! Certainly looking forward to Venus vs. Jen matches this year!

I think Jen got a bit psyched-out last year at the US Open, after losing 8 match points to Venus at the Ericsson. But Jen's such a fighter, especially at a GS final. I think we can look forward to some more great battles this year.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I don't think jen was "psyched out" by that 8match points back in spring 2001. She had just played Venus at the Pilot Pen and the match was close and competitive. Why would she suddenly be "psyched out" after playing such a good match a week before?

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
A fan of Hingis, Capriati AND Venus? You're unique Go-Getter:wavey:

Actually Bright Red, Jen lost points from last years Aussie because she got less quality points than last year, when Davenport and hingis were #1 and #2.

Jen got a big points boast by playing a lot ofl the outdoor tier 1's.
She was the finalist in Berlin, Miami, and Canada=plus she won the Family Circle. That was a big points boost.

Even though I'm a fan of Capriati, I felt Venus slightly edged her out last year. If she had only won the famous Miami match :mad:
This year though I concede nothing. Roll on Jen:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cybelle,
Just my opinion of what I saw at the US Open. Jen was up 4-0, then Venus stormed back to win the first set. I think that Jen had to be thinking back to Ericsson, when she couldn't close out against Venus-- and that affected her playing in the second set. After the match, Jen was saying that she felt that the first set was hers. So the fact that it didn't go her way really threw her off psychologically.

Yes, they had a close match the week before, but it's a huge mental burden to think that you can't close out against someone, and to dwell on that in any way. This year, I think Jen's experience at the Australian Open has got to have helped her mentally. But only time can tell. That's why I'm so excited to have the two of them play again.

I find much to admire in each of these two players, and if they're both able to play their best game against each other and are healthy, it will be the match of all matches this year.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Rollo said:
Actually Bright Red, Jen lost points from last years Aussie because she got less quality points than last year, when Davenport and hingis were #1 and #2.
I agree, Rollo. But she received more Round Points. That's what I meant.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I've calculated it to be that Jennifer has 130 "bonus" points due to the inflation. So Venus is really 136 points ahead with one fewer tournament than Jenn when we compare apples to apples.

But I won't split hairs about it. It's a minor point. They both have great results.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bright Red,
Trying to understand the points system here, which is still a muddle to me. Both Venus & Jen played in the Aussie 02, so wouldn't they both get similarly inflated round points? The only difference I can see is that Jen had semi, final and winner's points additional over Venus. Then you subtract the points coming off from her win last year, which are not inflated, but higher quality.

Is that where the extra 130 points from your calculation comes from?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
gogetter-

Your thinking is correct. Each round at AO this year gets more points than last year--including Venus' QTR final result. However, most points are given in the final round. I think additional qtrfinal points are less than 1/4 of final points so Venus bonus for participation in this years AO would I guess be about 1/4(130pts) = about 30 points. So apples to apples, Jennifers bonus would effectively be about 100 points, and Venus' true lead would be about 106 points instead of 6 points that show now.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
gogetter--

one more thing. the original 130 points I calculated came from the fact that last year grand slam final points were 520. this year the finals give you 650 points. so, 650-520 = 130

1 - 20 of 20 Posts