Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember before RG ended, we were talking about Venus getting the No. 2 seed. However she's now a staggering 1200 points behind Kim and 700 points behind Justine.

Of course, we've an argument if we say that Venus should be seeded above Kim but I believe that Kim is just too far ahead. What about ahead of Justine? Nope, because Venus has only gone 1 round further than Justine in the past 2 Wimbledons + Justine has actually done well in other grass tourneys while Venus hasnt played in them at all.

In fact with Justine only 500 points behind Kim, It seems reasonable for them to seed the past finalist and semifinalist ahead of Kim.

So if Wimbledon follows their usual seeding, then I believe Justine should get the no. 2 seed for Wimbledon. Though of course, I dont think any one here appreciates them tinkling with the seedings at all.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
This what I think they will do:

1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Justine
4. Kim

not that I like it.:(

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
tenn_ace said:
This what I think they will do:

1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Justine
4. Kim

not that I like it.:(
I agree... but usully, not like the men's draw, they never make any major change in the women's seeding

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I would that also hate that seeding tenn_ace.

I hope they just do it according to the rankings, its very reasonable. I actually think they might do it according to the rankings.

·
Registered
14,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no dh, that's what we HOPE they will do.
there's more than meets the eye in the wimbledon seedings

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,442 Posts
I think 80% chance:

1-Serena
2-Venus
3-Justine
4-Kim

Venus will get #2 because she is a 2 time champion and defending finalist, as well as QF in 98 and 99 losing to Novotna and Graf.

Justine will get ahead of Kim because of better previous Wimbledons and recent French Open win.

I'm not trying to defend what I think will happen, rather, I think this is the justification that the comittee will use.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
easy said:
no dh, that's what we HOPE they will do.
there's more than meets the eye in the wimbledon seedings
No, that's what they WILL do. They don't go looking for desperate idiotic reasons to change the women's seedings, that's what men's seedings are for. They change once in a blue moon, for a better reason than "was in the Final two years ago".

·
Registered
24,197 Posts
theres an equation where players' points are plugged in, and then they also use all grass court points from so many (i dont remember) years back... i bet theres an article about this equation. last year, i dont think there were any changes in the top 16 and only minor changes behind that.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
disposablehero said:
No, that's what they WILL do. They don't go looking for desperate idiotic reasons to change the women's seedings, that's what men's seedings are for. They change once in a blue moon, for a better reason than "was in the Final two years ago".
you'd be surprised what they can do...

how would you explain Henman and Rusedski promotion every year??? and Spaniards demotion every year? Not idiotic enough?

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
There is no way they won't seed by the rankings. And in the 1% chance they deviate, Justine will be bumped up to #2 ahead of Kim.

Edit: I should really write my posts in understandable English. :D

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
tenn_ace said:
you'd be surprised what they can do...

how would you explain Henman and Rusedski promotion every year??? and Spaniards demotion every year? Not idiotic enough?
Kim isn't Spanish and they would have some explaining to do if they tried to elevate Elena Baltacha to 2nd seed. Joshua is right, on the off chance they decide to "promote" someone, it would be Venus. Two titles and a Finals loss in 3 years.

·
27,442 Posts
LOL, what makes you all so sure?

Graf got bumped to #2 in 1999 plus once you get outside the top 12, they adjust the seedings rather modestly (compared with the rankings).

I really don't care either way (as long as V & S are in separate halves) but I wouldn't be so gung-ho about them going by the rankings, because Wimbledon always likes to be different.

·
27,442 Posts
US Open 2001.

But Hurley, you totally aren't seeing my point. Graf was a multiple Wimbledon Champion and had she even lost RG in the final that year, I'm sure she would have been #2.

If they do like I think they will (and I don't really agree with it), Venus will be at 2, Justine at 3 and Kim at 4.

I guess there's really no need to debate on what the comittee will do....we will just have to wait and see in 1 1/2(?) weeks.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
The point is that I can count on 1 finger the number of times they've messed with the Top Four seeds in the last decade, when they moved 7-time champion Steffi Graf, who had just beaten the top three players in the world en route to the French Open title a fortnight prior, from 3 to 2.

It takes that kind of extenuating circumstances for them to even make such a minute move.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
tenn_ace said:
true, but she wasn't especially successful there, was she?
Her results there are approximately comparable to her US Open results. I'm not aware of another active player, besides Monica, who made the 4th round as a 16 year old. (and Monica in 1990 was 6 months older than Kim in 1999. And a Slam winner.)

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Oh, and Anna. Once upon a time Anna had game. But she does not currently have 5000 points and a #2 ranking.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts